Owosso- Hopkins Lake Info

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Re: Owosso- Hopkins Lake Info

Postby owosso bob » June 5th, 2012, 8:13 pm

I am going out in the morning to try and take care of some of the problems . I had the city come out to look to see if they could mow by Baker College and across the field to the southeast section as it is very hard to do with a hand mower . Hopefully they will come in and do it but not sure as they said they would get back with me . If anyone has a tractor with 32 inch cut or larger and wanted to help out mowing it would surely help . Also if you feel like trimming face slappers go for it .
owosso bob

Postby AllMountin' » June 5th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Is it too much for a DR trimmer? I'm strongly considering picking one up for the back part of my property, and could likely do some mowing out there if/when I do.

raptorTC wrote:As far as the trail goes there is a big tree down across the trail in the Eastern part of the trail that needs the bridge moved back. The tree is down right before the uphill/downhill hairpin turn.

Removed as of today. From here, I walked out the remaining part of blue that runs down by the swamp, and back to the boardwalk. Mostly just cleared some of the larger sticks off the trail tread. Cut one random small stump out of the tread. Came back in with the loppers and trimmed the canopy on the ridge trail that parallels the lake. Hopefully it will last the season. There may still be a few undergrowth items, as I didn't have a weed whip handy.

I had only ridden the white and most of yellow prior to today, so I can't say whether the whole trail is clear for certain.

I did note that the newest segment on yellow, including the part that we didn't bench, is getting ridden in pretty nicely.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby owosso bob » June 6th, 2012, 6:20 am

Thanks a million Steve ! I used a DR trimmer last year and it was quite a job , but may have to try it again this year if the city does not come through . That section we cut in last year is becoming fun to ride as it gets broke in and gets faster . Wish I could get enough guys together to move that big section of bridge over to where the yellow trail is now and it would eliminate one more mud hole . Seems to be a quite a few people riding out there this year . I met with the young man and his father that is going to sign it Sunday and I think he will do a good job . He has lined up someone with an auger on a tractor to do his post holes already and has someone donating posts .
owosso bob

Postby raptorTC » June 8th, 2012, 1:01 am

A video of my crash out there a few days ago http://youtu.be/5g5kcEd2hg0

And thanks Steve! I got some pretty odd looks from bbq'ers in the pavilion as I sprinted past them twice on the Strava segment.
raptorTC

Postby owosso bob » June 8th, 2012, 6:32 am

A 10 rating for sure when you drew blood . On a better note I hope to start mowing next week as I have a DR trimmer lined up . Could use help trimming the trail back also . I closed off a short section of yellow to make everyone run the loop All Mountain and I put in last fall . I got the ridge line all cut and trimmed also . The yellow loop is now pretty clear riding except for a little ways in the thorn bush area . Start Monday on the blue trail . Off to Sleepy Hollow to work on that trail .
owosso bob

Postby raptorTC » June 14th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Its running pretty well out there. Good call making everyone run the new yellow section. Its one of my favorite parts of the trail What was the purpose of closing off the sections around satan's hill though? I was pretty surprised when I came up upon it. I almost cleared it while climbing today, but my back tire spun on the roots and I lost it.

I even managed a nice tumble out there today when I fell off the ridge trail and proceeded to tumble down the hill. It happened in the section with the tree going across the trail while heading north. I tried to take it too slowly and lost my balance. I'll probably only be running it south for a while until I build up the courage to try it again.
raptorTC

Postby owosso bob » June 14th, 2012, 6:14 pm

I have no idea who closed that section off .. Went out tonight and took down the barricades they put up . The sad thing is they broke off 2 good sized trees to try and block the trail and I will have to cut them as soon as I can , I did not have my saw with me . Tyler next time just take them down . I will try and post when I change the trail or close a section . This is the second time this year that it has happened so be careful . Also I will try and fix the ridge line . Whoever did this could have seriously hurt someone if you had been coming from the east going west on the yellow trail it would have been like hitting a brick wall where they put it up on the bend . I am going to call the city and discuss this and if they give me the same answers as usual I am going to step aside and not work on the trail as I am afraid someone will blame me and I will get sued . Owosso Bob
owosso bob

Postby raptorTC » June 14th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Alright. I was thinking it wasn't your work since they were randomly placed and weren't really serving as a re-director or anything. I'll keep an eye out for more stuff like that.
raptorTC

Postby AllMountin' » June 14th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Bob, I had just ridden out there yesterday after work, and found those same trees down. Notably, about a two inch diameter tree at the blue/yellow intersection above Satan's Hill. I removed a bunch of small trees and/or large branches throughout the trail, a few of which were blatantly placed across it. The entire trail was free of deadfall when I left, probably early yesterday evening, so the violator must have been out between then and when you/Tyler rode it.

I did notice the poison ivy penalty is back around part of the skinny, and there is a stretch in the Baker field that it nips at your ankles.

I placed a piece of deadfall on the downhill side of the tree near the start of the new yellow section we cut in. I noticed someone had placed duff over the bandit line, so it was just an added deterrent. I wouldn't be surprised if the line on the top of the hill gets reopened by dog walkers, as has the fall line climb/descent in the SE section.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby owosso bob » June 15th, 2012, 6:19 am

I talked to the head of the parks and rec last night and told him what is going on out there and after talking I informed him that I was going to call the assistant city manager and tell him I am no longer going to work on this trail . So they will need someone to take over . I want to thank everyone who has helped me over the 4 years plus as I tried tried to make this a viable MTB trail .
owosso bob

Postby AllMountin' » June 15th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Sorry to hear, Bob. Thanks for your efforts. I'm sure you are plenty busy with Sleepy Hollow anyway, but you've done a heck of a job with the Kiwanis trail.

It's nice having a local trail right in our back yard. It's unfortunate that the city is not more supportive.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby raptorTC » June 16th, 2012, 12:36 am

Thanks for everything you've done out there Bob. I, and my friends that I ride with that aren't members here, really appreciate everything you've done out there. Everything from maintenance to cutting new trails, the trail wouldn't be the same without you.
raptorTC

Postby AllMountin' » July 15th, 2012, 11:41 pm

Rode all but the blue field section(scared of the PI) for the first time since the wind storm. Predictably, there were a few items across the trail, but much less than anticipated. Stopped a half dozen times or so to clear low branches and deadfall. Otherwise, things were quite passable. The section of yellow that runs from the boardwalk, South to the hill down to the swamp, could use a li'l trimming, as well as some of the tighter stuff on blue. Also, in the SE corner, after you cross the skinny bridge over the PI moat and climb the steepish hill, the section on top of the hill could use a trim.

Large tree down on blue, next to the fence line on the South property line. East of Satan's hill where the yellow/blue intersect(not right above the hill, but the 2nd intersection). I aim to cut it out, perhaps as soon as tomorrow. I'll probably trim a bit while I'm out, time permitting.

Signage is looking good out there, and seems easy to follow. My only lament is that some of the now unused connectors have been blocked off w/deadfall. I understand the aim, which is to simplify the routing and make the layout easier to follow. Probably beneficial, in the grand scheme, but I liked to add the clockwise SE section on to the Red(formerly white) loop. Also, the SW corner of yellow- with the three side by side hills- has been reduced to a single hill, with the others blocked. I was probably the only one running them anyway, because I like to punish myself. The change probably suits most trail users. Note that I'm not really complaining, just commenting on the changes.

Pretty solid riding out there, if a bit dry in spots. I washed out and crashed when trying to take a right 90 on blue.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby raptorTC » July 16th, 2012, 2:02 am

I'm sad to hear that some of the random connectors are closed. I like to use them to change up loops a bit so I wasn't just running the same loop over and over when I was fishing for extra miles out there. But if its for the good of the trail then I'm fine with it. I'm sure I'll find a new way to connect everything together, plus I should wait till I can ride it before I bring forward any opinions. Also, it sounds like we ride the skinny over poison ivy in different directions. Interesting. Jk. Just saw the Strava log and saw you rode it both ways.

I'm looking forward to getting back out there. The Ann Arbor loop is nice and all, but I'll always have a soft spot for my first trail rides out at Hopkins.
raptorTC

Postby AllMountin' » July 16th, 2012, 11:23 pm

The aforementioned tree has been removed. From there, moving counter-clockwise on blue, I trimmed past the skinny bridge and through the section on top of the hill. Should stay slapper free for a bit.

As always, my trail work comes with a satisfaction guarantee, or your money back. ;-)
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to MMMBA