Owosso- Hopkins Lake Info

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Re: Owosso- Hopkins Lake Info

Postby AllMountin' » July 18th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Was able to ride the whole thing Counter-Clockwise today. No ill effects from the rain. The blue field section is impassable, due to some vine infested deadfall blocking the path. Otherwise, things are pretty good. Looks like someone pulled down some small trees on the blue/yellow toward the East, where the trail travels through the smallish thorny trees.

Went 0-8 against the hill that shall not be named. Bad day at the office.

The scout was out, putting in a sign/map at the East entrance.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby raptorTC » July 23rd, 2012, 12:25 am

Had my first ride out there in over a month today. Everything is looking good and the trail is in good shape. Kudos to those who have been out doing the trimming. I had forgotten how rooty and rocky some of the sections out there were after riding the pretty much smooth trails in Ann Arbor. Definitely not a complaint about that though, I love it!

Only two of the trails I use was a casualty of the closures and even then they were minor little shortcut trails. One was the little connector shortcut that connected the White(err, red I guess) to the section that lead to the new-ish section that was cut last year.The other was the shortcut that included the two railroad ties over the puddle on the way up to the south east section, although the deadfall wasn't placed until after the ties. Now I just have to be not lazy and ride a little further down to the actual trail.

The signs look nice and I'm sure they'll help hikers and people who are new to the trail. I'll probably just continue riding my custom hodge-podge of a loop that I've put together though.
raptorTC

Postby AllMountin' » August 13th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Trail tread is in prime shape after the rains. No mud or slickness, with the exception of the wet wood. Had a refreshing ride in the light rain/mist. There are three trees down. Two on yellow. One on red. All can be ridden IIRC. I keep forgetting to load the saw into the truck.

Moderate slappers, though I did knock back the thorns in the field section that leads to the SE corner. That patch of prickers had been shredding my left arm for weeks. Had to go.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » August 22nd, 2012, 9:50 pm

Finally made it out today with the saw. With the exception of the field by Baker, trail should be clear of significant deadfall.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby raptorTC » August 25th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Running pretty well out there, thanks for getting those down trees taken care of. Satan's Hill is having its way with me especially now that its really dry out there. My back tire loses traction every time while I'm trying to make it over those big roots.
raptorTC

Postby owosso bob » September 10th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Went for a walk on the trail tonight and would like to give a big ( thank you ) to whoever moved the bridge over on the yellow loop and redid it . This will really take care of a wet area . The trails are in real good shape . I see someone reopened some of the closed off sections again as AllMountain said they would . Nice job on the signage that the boy scout put up , should be helpful to people .
owosso bob

Postby volklgirl » September 20th, 2012, 8:41 pm

I'm heading down to that area this weekend to ride the Miner trail with my Mom. While there, I'd like to check out Hopkins Lake. Is there a trail map available? Signage good enough for a first timer to not get lost? Suggestions from the regulars?
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby AllMountin' » September 20th, 2012, 11:07 pm

If you park in the main lot, you will ride South from the paved turn around, past the pavilions(through the grass). You'll cross a bridge and take a short trail out to the loops. The new map is located here. I typically ride everything clockwise.

Red: The easiest to follow and the easiest trail. A basic loop of primarily double track.

Blue: I'd recommend skipping the field section on Blue. Unless someone has done work on it, it will not be passable. Riding clockwise, you will ride a tight section that passes a radio tower. After the tower, you turn right on the two track. You can ride past the trail to the left(field section), and continue to the next trail crossing. Turn right, and continue the tight stuff back to the main trail.

Yellow: My favorite loop. Has a nice mix of terrain and a couple of steep ups/downs.

Just keep your head up. The new signage seems to be pretty good. Expect a few slappers here and there.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby volklgirl » September 21st, 2012, 1:05 pm

Awesome. Thanks for that!

After living up here for so long it just feels weird going "home".
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby volklgirl » September 21st, 2012, 6:03 pm

Would the Red loop be appropriate for my 67-year-old mother who's an experience rider but is now timid due to a few injuries?
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby owosso bob » September 21st, 2012, 6:55 pm

The red loop has a couple of small hills but very easy to ride as it is pretty wide open . Most of the trail she will do fine on except Satans hill and the skinny bridge on blue and the valley on yellow and even that is not bad . If she has experience on trails she will do fine . I am a little older than mom and I ride this trail all the time . Another place to take your mom would be Sleepy Hollow trails which are mostly beginner and intermediate that are near by .
owosso bob

Postby owosso bob » September 22nd, 2012, 10:21 am

Walked the yellow and red loop this morning and it is in very good condition except it needs to be trimmed back in a couple of areas and I will try and clear some of that the next time I go walking up there . Just wondering why anyone would put a cheater cut on a 3 mile loop .
owosso bob

Postby volklgirl » September 23rd, 2012, 8:21 pm

Thanks for the help and suggestions, Bob!

Mom looped the red twice and we did the red and the blue. The field section was fine except for some leg scratchers and one tree down just above handle bar level. We missed the right turn at the woods and ended up on a trail that went nowhere then on an advanced unmarked trail through the woods....we turned around and hiked back at the skinny little log over the dried-up creek bed, then finally found the rest of the marked trail. I loved, Loved, LOVED the twisty tight sections as they ride just like Ithaca Jailhouse Trail (one of my faves). I'll definitely be up for some more exploring out there next time I'm down! :icon_thumright:
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby owosso bob » September 24th, 2012, 6:56 am

I am glad you liked it . Post up the next time you are down and will meet up with you and ride .
owosso bob

Postby AllMountin' » December 26th, 2012, 10:36 pm

owosso bob wrote:Trails are all clear and it should be good riding until the snow comes.

Well, that snow is here, and the riding is still pretty good. Got in my first snowy fatbike ride out here this evening, and it was good. Rode all trails in both directions, and the only climb that stopped me was Satan's Hill. That one was expected.

Small/med tree down on the blue, down a bit from where the trail runs through the split tree. I'll cut it when I get a spare minute and have the saw handy.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to MMMBA