Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Re: Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

Postby jbra7733 » March 27th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Pardon my ambiguity but I've only been on this end of trail once. It's just past Hawk Island. The trail sort of splits between pathway and dirt at some point in the middle of the forest/wetland area after Hawk Island (heading North). If you follow the dirt trail long enough it'll take you near the cemetery where it begins. It's very thin and goes up along a cliff about 20 or so fee over the river (be extremely careful).
jbra7733

Postby TenSpeed » March 29th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Someone has been doing some work out there. If you park or enter the trail from the Kalamazoo/Clippert parking lot, there is a trail that is a drop off from the river trail that runs parallel to the river. You can access it easily as you head back towards the parking lot and ride along the highway. There appears to be three consecutive decently built log piles out there now. These may have been out there for a while, since I have not been on this dirt part in long while.
TenSpeed

Postby rvd » March 31st, 2012, 11:58 am

jbra7733 wrote:I've always been curious about where the trail sort of splits and turns into a really technical singletrack sort of deal right in the cemetery by Hawk Island on the southern end of the trail. Came upon it with a friend when we were on a stroll a month or so ago and I must say, while it is short lived, this little spot imposes some great difficulty going along the cliff of the river! Anyone else have any experience with this? It's definitely intended for mountain bike use, as there is a carpet laid down over a climb with a log ramp. Pretty fun ride if you can find it.

I walked the southern end of it today; lot's of off camber work, narrow, difficult log piles, and steep climbs (or descents). The trail is not in great shape due to erosion and general end-of-winterness; the part by the southern end of the cemetery is unrideable due to a downed tree and other debris. The anti-slip carpet and the log ramp show that someone has put some fairly recent work (and use) into this. Well worth checking out, but clearly only for more advanced riders.
Last edited by rvd on April 16th, 2012, 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
rvd

Postby jbra7733 » April 1st, 2012, 12:50 pm

Yup thats the one. One slip and it's into the river you go haha
jbra7733

Postby TenSpeed » April 1st, 2012, 6:07 pm

I still don't know where this is.
TenSpeed

Postby rvd » April 1st, 2012, 6:42 pm

jbra7733 wrote:Yup thats the one. One slip and it's into the river you go haha

No kidding. I rode it this afternoon, and the northern part sure is steep. With the river on my right hand side, my left pedal hit the slope on couple of occasions; while on the middle of the trail! It really is a fun section; too bad it is so short. For those of you who want to check it out, coming from the north, you find the trail entrance on your left, just before one of the bridges; it is 'marked' by a small carpet of fist-sized cobbles you have to cross.
Last edited by rvd on April 16th, 2012, 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
rvd

Postby reidabel » April 6th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Finally got some new bikes for me and Christina, and we headed out to play with them on Thursday. First, the pump track on Meridian Road in Okemos, then to find this intriguing trail you guys are talking about.

It's a good thing Christina was too scared to try it because this trail is wicked! I found myself leaning badly toward the uphill side out of fear! Didn't want to fall off the wrong way - but I did it once. Luckily, I grabbed a tree before the no-doubt-nasty fall began. Lots of fun, very exciting.
Last edited by reidabel on April 16th, 2012, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » April 14th, 2012, 6:28 pm

I finally found this. I made it about 3/4 of the way up, and then chickened out. Very sketchy. I had to do a little pruning, as one branch nearly knocked me off of my bike heading up.
TenSpeed

Postby jbra7733 » April 15th, 2012, 12:39 pm

My buddy has a GoPro, thinking of getting this on film and posting it here for those who are curious about it
jbra7733

Postby AllMountin' » April 15th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. Never thought about a MTB trail being there. I rode it today, once from North to South, and twice from South to North. When running it from the South, I clipped a tree on the hill side both times, sending me falling towards the river. Thankfully, there are trees right there, which I was able to grab and avoid certain death. ;-) I love that the ramp feature has an impaler, just waiting to run you through if you fall toward the river.

Did y'all see/ride the little teeter toward the South end? That last log pile and the entry/exit are extremely difficult. Couldn't clean 'em.

I rode just about every piece of singletrack I could find out there, many of which go nowhere.

There is a log ride near the exit of Scott Woods to the cul de sac, on the trail left. It butts up to the edge of the trail. Doesn't go anywhere, but you can ride it till it terminates if so inclined. This area has the makings of a gnarly freeride park full of log skinnies. So much deadfall in that area, you could make a trail out of log skinnies. It would be epic, but the city would surely never go for it...
Last edited by AllMountin' on April 16th, 2012, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby bikejoe » April 16th, 2012, 12:01 am

deleted by op
Last edited by bikejoe on April 17th, 2012, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikejoe

Postby AllMountin' » April 16th, 2012, 6:44 am

Fair points. Though mine contained only vague references regarding location, I edited my post and removed the gps track.

I am glad it was shared, for my own selfish purposes, but there is a small, but real chance of unintended consequence.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby TenSpeed » April 16th, 2012, 8:32 am

I think that anytime something like that trail is created or found, it gets discussed, publicly or not.
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » April 16th, 2012, 9:30 am

Hmm ... sounds like creating unauthorized builds is risky, particularly ones intended to be around for years that are in easy view of a large number of people going by them on a regular basis. Well, the trail is not easy to see, but spotting a rider on it would be easy, especially the spandex peacocks. Edited the location out of my post. Appreciate the work.
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » April 16th, 2012, 9:48 am

I would note that though I was maybe in the area for all of 20 minutes, and had to wait for 2 hikers directly on the trail, and passed another on the ridge trail right at the exit of it.

I'm certain it's no state secret among local riders and hikers alike.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to MMMBA