Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Re: Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

Postby bikejoe » April 16th, 2012, 12:15 pm

deleted by op
Last edited by bikejoe on April 17th, 2012, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikejoe

Postby reidabel » April 16th, 2012, 3:11 pm

bikejoe wrote:I?m sorry if I sounded self righteous.

No problem, you gave really good and interesting info about the trail and the delicate nature of the situation. The only thing I took offense at was:

bikejoe wrote:There are lots of constructive things we can do to make the local mountain biking more thrilling and challenging. Posting locations of other peoples work is not one of them.

... maybe "other people's UNAUTHORIZED work" would have gone down easier - but I'm sensitive. ;-)

bikejoe wrote:My only point is to think twice before broadcasting detailed directions in this public place.

Cool. I was giving directions because people were saying they couldn't find it (from the more vague earlier descriptions) - had I thought about it possibly being an unauthorized trail I would have thought twice and sent a PM instead. In retrospect it is obvious that this trail is not authorized. Maybe if this happens again (think Rose Lake jumps) one of us can post that directions should be PM'ed rather than posted?
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » April 16th, 2012, 4:14 pm

I look at it like Ray's in Cleveland and now Milwaukee. Build it, and people will come. People will also talk about it, especially because it may not be an authorized trail. The river trail is pretty heavily traveled, especially by bikes now, and especially that section that leads out to Hawk Island. I appreciate people wanting to build and work on trails, but why not keep it where it is allowed. Between Burchfield and Anderson, there is plenty of room, and plenty of work that can be done to those trails.
TenSpeed

Postby bikejoe » April 17th, 2012, 11:55 am

I?m out
Last edited by bikejoe on April 17th, 2012, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikejoe

Postby TenSpeed » April 17th, 2012, 2:28 pm

I appreciate things. I also am not rogue trail building in unapproved areas. If it gets closed down, it gets closed down.
TenSpeed

Postby jbra7733 » April 17th, 2012, 10:35 pm

Agreed completely with the Burchfield/Anderson sentiment. I'd love to see some more bridge work at Anderson.
jbra7733

Postby centralRH » April 18th, 2012, 6:17 am

Joe has spent a huge amount of time working on authorized trails in this area (for many years) and I hope he continues to do so. He was there for the start of Anderson and nearly all the trail days, he cleans up most of the downed trees out there, he also had a major hand in the tall bridge and a couple other stunts, and he has been at every trail day at Burchfield I have ever attended. Joe spends a lot of his time working on trails in the Lansing area and many of us benefit from his efforts.

THANK YOU JOE!
centralRH

Postby TenSpeed » March 10th, 2013, 6:02 pm

It was wet. Most of the snow and ice is gone. Great day to get out and stretch the legs. Thanks for the invite Felt6.
TenSpeed

Postby rvd » March 27th, 2013, 7:53 pm

BREAKING: as of yet unconfirmed sightings of SteveF (on funky-looking bike) and overdrive (running) in Hawk Island tonight.

Other than that, nothing to report. If you want to ride, but don't want to destroy the trails, the (dry) River trail is a good option.
rvd

Postby SteveF » April 20th, 2013, 3:59 pm

All river--no trail.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby pfox90 » April 20th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Yeah we found that out before the rain last week. Can't even imagine it now. MSU campus had some good riding
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby AllMountin' » April 5th, 2014, 11:41 pm

F7Cannon wrote:*beep*. Don't bother to hit a brother up or anything. :?

I wouldn't have been suitable group ride material. Spent half an hour riding telephone poles by the ball field. Broke off into downtown for a touch of urban. Stopped too much to session silly stuff. Would've held you back.

If work stays slow, I hope to make some rides this spring/summer, but too soon to tell on that.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby TenSpeed » April 6th, 2014, 1:15 am

I saw the guy on campus in full body armor and the GoPro. He was looking hardcore riding the sidewalk at a snails pace.
TenSpeed

Postby Neysahead » February 11th, 2015, 12:09 pm

I traveled the E-W connector (is that what it's called?) from Washington to I-96 yesterday. It is 90% clear, but the 10% that's not is very slick. The worst parts are the transitions between trail and road at crossings. They were very slick on foot; they'd be even more treacherous on a bike.

There was no chain across the trail at I-96, but it was getting pretty dark so I didn't head down to investigate the footing under the highway.
Neysahead

Postby MFawley » March 20th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Anyone know what the conditions are? Mainly the area by potter park, and the new section heading down jolly towards waverly.
MFawley

PreviousNext

Return to MMMBA