Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association (Formerly Mid-State) topics.

Re: Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

Postby reidabel » March 23rd, 2015, 8:24 am

AllMountin' wrote:Does the little bit of single track at Valhalla park prohibit bikes?

No, it's fine, I've ridden in there quite a bit, it's close to home. There's not much to it, but it's better than nothing. One of the paths is blocked by large fallen trees. You can find a couple of hills, along the side of the cemetary. One is short but pretty steep, and you can loop it over and over in a circle for a bit of a workout. Needs some stunts, and has fallen trees, I'm assuming they won't allow it, though.
reidabel

Re: Lansing River Trail unofficial conditions

Postby reidabel » February 21st, 2016, 5:34 pm

Rode from Valhalla Park up to the cemetery by Mount Hope just now. The trail was flooded under I-96, lots of broken-up ice in water. Using the rocky path up higher worked fine, as usual. The rest of the trail is in absolutely perfect shape, not wet, not icy - the only thing is that there are lots of sticks on the path due to the high winds we've just had.

I rode the "secret" trail and found that it has suffered due to erosion in some spots. It really can't be ridden for some portions of it, but other spots are fine. I see that somebody put in a couple of jumps that are not rollable. One looks quite rickety, built out of nailed-in sticks with a piece of what looks like 2x12 lumber providing the lip. It seemed stable enough when I walked on it, though, but I certainly didn't try to ride over it. The other one looked scary, in terms of the landing area. I don't think I'm going to try either one of these. It was nice to get the adrenaline going on the parts of this trail that were (for me, anyway) rideable.

reidabel wrote:... was shocked to find a large piece of fencing, like 50 feet long, and a guardrail(!) hanging down from the freeway, almost blocking my path. I was able to get through. Something big, or at least fast, hit hard as they went off the freeway up top. It didn't look like the vehicle came over onto the rocks or into the creek, but it must have been close, given all of the stuff that ended up down there. There was a wooden post hanging on the end of the guardrail, at least a 6"x6", broken completely off. Takes a lot of force to do that ...

Actually, I think the car (or truck) DID go down into the creek ... I see that the railing along the path, where the path meets the creek, is broken. That must have been a terrifying ride off the freeway and down. Hopefully nobody in the car got hurt and nobody was down there when they went in.

Stopped for dinner at Tim Horton's on Jolly, nice and close to the River Trail, and the only business on that side with a bike rack. You'd think they'd put some bike racks out now that our trail is there. Johnny Mac's should do the same, and start selling bike paraphernalia if they don't already do so.

Be careful if you're riding this section in the dark, there were two spots with spiny branches protruding into the trail at face level and below, and I would think they'd be pretty difficult to see in the dark. One was on the right, just before the first bridge if you're headed South from the street entrance to Hawk Island. Now that I'm trying to remember it, I can't recall exactly where the other one was.
reidabel

Previous

Return to MMMBA