Lansing Trail Suggestion

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Bike Association (formerly Mid-State chapter) topics.

Lansing Trail Suggestion

Postby jer091 » May 2nd, 2012, 12:00 pm

I'll be in the East Lansing area tomorrow and have about 3 hours to squeeze a ride in. What trail would you suggest?
jer091

Re: Lansing Trail Suggestion

Postby owosso bob » May 2nd, 2012, 12:10 pm

Rose Lake would probably be the best especially if it rains . Rose lake is pretty sandy thus takes rain well .
owosso bob

Postby dauber76 » May 2nd, 2012, 1:53 pm

Yep. Anderson would be your next best option, but might be a bit squirrely if we get any more rain tonight.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby jer091 » May 2nd, 2012, 2:04 pm

Was looking at Burchfield or Sleepy Hallow too but dont know if its worth the drive time and conditions
jer091

Postby SteveF » May 2nd, 2012, 2:21 pm

jer091 wrote:Was looking at Burchfield or Sleepy Hallow too but dont know if its worth the drive time and conditions

Skip Sleepy Hollow unless you're packing an inflatable raft...what's your time frame?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby owosso bob » May 2nd, 2012, 3:31 pm

SteveF wrote:
jer091 wrote:Was looking at Burchfield or Sleepy Hallow too but dont know if its worth the drive time and conditions

Skip Sleepy Hollow unless you're packing an inflatable raft...what's your time frame?

We are working very hard to divert the water from the trails but it is going to be a long process . So I would skip Sleepy Hollow for now . Hopefully by next year this trail will get a little more love from people .
owosso bob

Postby mjpo » May 2nd, 2012, 4:49 pm

Burchfield is in pretty good shape. One reroute due to water. You swap a couple hundred yards o
Single track for two track. It is marked.
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby jer091 » May 2nd, 2012, 6:32 pm

I'm looking to ride from noon til 3 or 4ish. I'll be in east Lansing till noon. Then after riding heading back to CRAMBAland.
jer091

Postby AllMountin' » May 2nd, 2012, 8:21 pm

Just a heads up: Conditions aside, you should know that Rose Lake is unmarked trail. It's easy to get "lost", although impossible to get truly lost, as it's all boxed in a roughly mile square block of roads. You'll have to do some exploring if someone familiar doesn't give you the grand tour.

Burchfield is marked, and has green arrows to guide you. You do need to pay attention though, as there are sections that cut in and back out to/from the two track.

Anderson is most easily navigable, so long as you find the start of each trail off of Wardell Rd. There is a kiosk to help guide you.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby dauber76 » May 2nd, 2012, 8:25 pm

Anderson is in prime shape. Unless we get a monsoon tonight, it will be good to go.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby SteveF » May 3rd, 2012, 6:46 am

owosso bob wrote:
SteveF wrote:

We are working very hard to divert the water from the trails but it is going to be a long process . So I would skip Sleepy Hollow for now . Hopefully by next year this trail will get a little more love from people .

I love it! For fishing, water skiing, scuba diving... :lol:

You and/or Mike are going to post a trail day there sometime, right?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby jer091 » May 3rd, 2012, 7:52 pm

Thanks for everyones input. I ended up riding Anderson Park and got a few laps on each loop (and a couple extra of an "unidentifiable" section of the red loop... :wink: hehe ).

Very cool trail and will visit again.
jer091

Postby benl » May 12th, 2012, 9:29 pm

AllMountin' wrote:Just a heads up: Conditions aside, you should know that Rose Lake is unmarked trail. It's easy to get "lost", although impossible to get truly lost, as it's all boxed in a roughly mile square block of roads. You'll have to do some exploring if someone familiar doesn't give you the grand tour.

Burchfield is marked, and has green arrows to guide you. You do need to pay attention though, as there are sections that cut in and back out to/from the two track.

Anderson is most easily navigable, so long as you find the start of each trail off of Wardell Rd. There is a kiosk to help guide you.

You know, back when I was in Scouts we got "misplaced" at Rose Lake for a little while - you're right, it's really impossible to get truly lost.
benl

Return to MMMBA