Dragon's Back stunt removed

For discussing Mid-Michigan Mountain Bike Association (formerly Mid-State chapter) topics.

Dragon's Back stunt removed

Postby reidabel » August 27th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Some of you may have noticed that the entry and exit ramps for the old Dragon's Back stunt disappeared last weekend. I didn't have time to complete the removal then, but I took the rest of it out today. It actually took a while because I removed all of the nails (and screws) that I could get out of the boards and bent the remainder over for safety. Please don't play with the piles of boards that I stacked up there. Most of the boards in the first half had a combination of about nine nails and screws, I think from the reinforcing done over the years. I was actually surprised at how solid it still was, for the most part. It was more solid than it looked.

For those who don't know the name, it was the very first one on Dragonball Run, on the right just as you enter the trail. About 25 feet long, with two peaks and a low flat section between them. Entry ramp to the first peak, exit ramp after the second peak, low flat section in between, only about a foot off of the ground. The whole length of it was probably 2 feet wide, nice and easy to ride.

I gave two riders from Jackson, two brothers, Kyle and Carter, the honor of being the last people ever to ride it. They came up from Jackson specifically to ride the stunts. I got it on video, so I'll probably use the footage in the video of the final set of features.

I plan to replace it with two features (maybe just one) that will line up to the Dragon's Throat (the long higher one with the cable railing, to the left and just past where the Dragon's Back was). The intent is to create a sequence of difficult but flowing features that should be a lot of fun to ride. I may make the first one difficult and intimidating visually, to serve as a qualifier for the Dragon's Throat.
reidabel

Re: Dragon's Back stunt removed

Postby Jared13 » August 28th, 2017, 4:31 pm

RIP Dragon's Back.

I would always hit that feature then about halfway through realize I couldn't make it over to Dragon's Throat.
Jared13

Postby reidabel » August 28th, 2017, 5:58 pm

I actually did it a couple of times, and it wouldn't surprise me if Steve (AllMountin') did it as well, but it required a very slow speed balancing, curving path from the exit of the Dragon's Back to get lined up for the entry to Dragon's Throat, followed by a big burst of power to blast up and over the top. A good challenge, requiring a variety of skills ...
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » August 29th, 2017, 11:43 am

Haha, it's an awkward transition for sure, as you end up stalled right before climbing the second feature. Challenge for the sake of challenge. An inline feature would be better. Good idea to swap the feature and bypass.

Forget the name, but I like the newer skinny to log to skinny feature toward the end of DragonBall.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby reidabel » August 29th, 2017, 11:50 am

Challenge for the sake of skill development! Just in case I'm ever going to do Sedona White Line :-) (doubtful)

That newer one you mention is called Dragon Tattoo. I'm almost running out of Dragon-related movie names, but I just realized the PERFECT name for the new features that are to connect to Dragon's Throat. Wait for it ...

ENTER THE DRAGON!
reidabel

Postby xcrdr » August 29th, 2017, 5:37 pm

My kids tried to double that stunt many years ago. Almost made it too. Ended up directing down with his head between the fork in the tree. This was in the old direction. He still gets a backache thinking about it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby reidabel » August 29th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Didja get that on video?
reidabel

Postby xcrdr » August 29th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Pretty sure I have a picture of the aftermath. As a father it made me cringe. As a bike rider I was like "heck ya"!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby Jared13 » September 9th, 2017, 7:30 pm

reidabel wrote:I actually did it a couple of times, and it wouldn't surprise me if Steve (AllMountin') did it as well, but it required a very slow speed balancing, curving path from the exit of the Dragon's Back to get lined up for the entry to Dragon's Throat, followed by a big burst of power to blast up and over the top. A good challenge, requiring a variety of skills ...

I've started and cleaned Dragon's Throat from a standstill at the entrance and I'm decent with the slow maneuvers (especially when it's on the ground! :lol: ) but it was always one of those "not worth the efforts" things. I should have done it at least once, oh well.

I need to hit B-field and get out and play more when it's not a group ride. I don't want to hold people up...well more than I already do.
Jared13

Return to MMMBA