Stony Creek Advice

For discussing Clinton River Area Mountain Bike Association (formerly Metro North and Holly/Flint chapters) topics.

Stony Creek Advice

Postby JahkneeFive » June 7th, 2017, 10:10 am

Recently moved to the area and this will be my first outing on the trails. Anything I need to know or suggestions, ie best parking lot to start from etc.? This is also my first outing on the new pivot so I'd like to steer clear of anything super technical(def. no rock gardens this visit) until I get a feel for the balance and characteristics vs. the old bike. I printed out the map and it looks like best access is in the last parking lot across from 27?
JahkneeFive
 
Posts: 25
Joined: June 7th, 2017, 10:01 am

Re: Stony Creek Advice

Postby Dark-Fx » June 7th, 2017, 1:31 pm

JahkneeFive wrote:Recently moved to the area and this will be my first outing on the trails. Anything I need to know or suggestions, ie best parking lot to start from etc.? This is also my first outing on the new pivot so I'd like to steer clear of anything super technical(def. no rock gardens this visit) until I get a feel for the balance and characteristics vs. the old bike. I printed out the map and it looks like best access is in the last parking lot across from 27?


The official trailhead starts from west branch lot B, which is closest to #1. The only real rock garden at Stony is in the pines, which is 6-19, and there is a sign there that says 'dangerous < easy >'. If you stay to the right, you'll never see the rock garden.

This is a pretty good route to take, and the one that we will be doing tonight at 6:45, leaving from the Stony Creek High School. Definitely come out if you can make it!

http://www.cramba.org/storage/maps/ston ... p_Ride.pdf
User avatar
Dark-Fx
 
Posts: 175
Joined: December 1st, 2015, 3:06 pm
Location: Royal Oak, MI

Re: Stony Creek Advice

Postby c0nsumer » June 7th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Adding on to what Dark-Fx says, it might not be a bad idea to find someone (via here, Facebook, asking around in the lot) to show you around. While not a large area, Stony is a bit of a spiderweb and it's kinda frustrating for new folks who want to find the single track and a nice route. The route in that PDF is a good one, and uses almost all of the single track there, but you might get a little frustrated finding it at first.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7484
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Stony Creek Advice

Postby JahkneeFive » August 18th, 2017, 7:44 am

So now that I've ridden this sucker a dozen times I'm now looking to hit the unmarked trails I keep coming across. Before I do - Are these ok to ride? 'Local' trails seem to be a 50/50 depending on the area. Secondly are there set directionals(ie always ride N to S or W to E) or just stay alert for oncoming bikes?
JahkneeFive
 
Posts: 25
Joined: June 7th, 2017, 10:01 am

Re: Stony Creek Advice

Postby c0nsumer » August 18th, 2017, 7:46 am

If they are within the Shelden Trails area, then yes.

On Sunday morning CRAMBA will be installing Wrong Way signage at the exits from all the named, one-way single track sections. (Roller Coaster, Back Nine, The Pines, The Snake)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7484
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Stony Creek Advice

Postby PK » August 21st, 2017, 6:28 am

Try this route now.
It's a favorite of most the regulars looking to ride about 12 miles without riding the same trail twice.
http://cramba.org/storage/maps/stonycreek/CRAMBA_Stony_Creek_29-Jun-2012_Fun_Promotions_6_12_Hour.pdf

Pete.
PK
 
Posts: 987
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 12:48 pm

Re: Stony Creek Advice

Postby Synack42 » May 6th, 2019, 11:49 am

Sorry to bump an old thread. But for a noob that hasn't been there yet... Are the green and blue doubletrack trails bidirectional? I assumed that was true for doubletrack anywhere, but the map on the Metropark site indicates direction for certain segments.
Synack42
 
Posts: 8
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 8:51 am

Re: Stony Creek Advice

Postby c0nsumer » May 6th, 2019, 11:59 am

Synack42 wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread. But for a noob that hasn't been there yet... Are the green and blue doubletrack trails bidirectional? I assumed that was true for doubletrack anywhere, but the map on the Metropark site indicates direction for certain segments.


Yes. The park maps are confusing, but everything green and blue is widely ridden in both directions. It is all wide two track type stuff. Just keep your eyes open as some people ride it fast, and it gets a lot of walkers.

There's two small two-way section of single track, from 25 to 26, and the Swamp Cutout from 28 to 29: http://www.cramba.org/storage/maps/ston ... l-2015.pdf

The first is a small connector from the top of Mt. Sheldon to the top of the Golf Course Climb / Three Gear Hill. It's not very long and pretty much connects things. The second is from the two track to the middle of the Roller Coaster. If you ride these, keep your eyes open because people use them to link up multiple different routes.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7484
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Stony Creek Advice

Postby Synack42 » May 7th, 2019, 7:18 am

c0nsumer wrote:Yes. The park maps are confusing, but everything green and blue is widely ridden in both directions. It is all wide two track type stuff. Just keep your eyes open as some people ride it fast, and it gets a lot of walkers.

There's two small two-way section of single track, from 25 to 26, and the Swamp Cutout from 28 to 29: http://www.cramba.org/storage/maps/ston ... l-2015.pdf

The first is a small connector from the top of Mt. Sheldon to the top of the Golf Course Climb / Three Gear Hill. It's not very long and pretty much connects things. The second is from the two track to the middle of the Roller Coaster. If you ride these, keep your eyes open because people use them to link up multiple different routes.

Thanks -- looking forward to it, hopefully without looking like a complete noob lost in the woods while going the wrong way. :wink:

...Now if the rain would just let up so things can actually dry out. Pavement is getting pretty repetitive at the moment...
Synack42
 
Posts: 8
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 8:51 am

Re: Stony Creek Advice

Postby Synack42 » May 15th, 2019, 6:33 am

Finally made it out there for the first time yesterday. Just did a simple perimeter run of the green and blue doubletrack. Mead Road Hill between markers 9 and 10 was no joke for my clydesdale-self ;-). Golf course climb between 14 and 26 kicked my butt too. (Have to admit, there was some hill walks of shame there.) Though I partially blame my poorly self adjusted front derailleur keeping me from dropping into low gear ;-).

Honestly I'm glad I can do any of this now. Down to 220 lbs from 330+ this time last year... It's a nice reward.
Synack42
 
Posts: 8
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 8:51 am


Return to CRAMBA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests