Stoney Creek Metro Park Trolley Trails

For discussing Clinton River Area Mountain Bike Association (formerly Metro North and Holly/Flint chapters) topics.

Stoney Creek Metro Park Trolley Trails

Postby run4mylife56 » September 21st, 2011, 5:37 pm

My husband and I are planning on doing the Ronde Van Stoney bike race this weekend on a tandem and are wondering if anyone has ever ridden the Trolley Trails at the Metro Park and if they are doable on a cyclocross tandem?
run4mylife56

Re: Stoney Creek Metro Park Trolley Trails

Postby classrc » September 22nd, 2011, 8:54 am

It's been a while since I last rode them, but they were not very technical, just rolling two track hills, some steaper than others, but pretty short.
2013 Canfield Nimble 9 SS
199? Voodoo Wazoo CX/Gravel Bike
2016 Surly Wednesday
I've hurt myself way worse on the road than I ever have on the trails... Nevermind, I stand corrected...
classrc

Postby c0nsumer » September 22nd, 2011, 9:05 am

I like to think of the Trolley Trails as a mini version of Bald Mountain with fewer rocks. So yes, I'd say it's doable on a tandem so long as your skills are sufficient for riding hills and a bit of sand.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby run4mylife56 » September 22nd, 2011, 3:38 pm

thanks for the info. that helps.
run4mylife56

Postby madmike23 » November 3rd, 2011, 9:02 am

Iknow this is an older thread and the origianal post has been answered, but I am confused. I go to Stoney all the time. I have no idea what the "Trolley Trails" are?
madmike23

Postby c0nsumer » November 3rd, 2011, 9:30 am

madmike23 wrote:Iknow this is an older thread and the origianal post has been answered, but I am confused. I go to Stoney all the time. I have no idea what the "Trolley Trails" are?

They are the wider / twotrack-ish trails that wrap around the skills park. Nothing hard, but there's some decent hills. Think of it as a mini Bald Mountain. Also, there are entrances directly to the Trolley Trails from both 26 Mile and the main paved entrance path off of Shelby, so a number of us will ride into the park this way, ride the Trolley Trails, then head over to the normal MTB trails.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Roy » December 9th, 2011, 6:27 am

Back in the day, there was a Trolly stop at the top of the hill near the Park road and the fenced end of West Road. The Trolley stop was called Upton.
As you start up the trail from the skills park parking lot you are ridding on the old rail bed. I think the Trolley went from Rochester to Imlay City.
Before the park entrance was built, Shelby Rd. went straight up the hill and ended at West road.

Roy

An interurban that linked Rochester and Imlay City ran through northern Macomb County, from Stoney Creek to Romeo. These are the stops that were in Macomb County:

Butts - Washington and Dequindre Road
Upton - Shelby and West Roads
Lockwood - Mound and West Roads
Washington - Van Dyke and West Roads
Lamb - Van Dyke between 27 and 28 Mile Roads?
Delaney - Van Dyke near 28 Mile Road?
Knights - Van Dyke and 29 Mile Roads
Sikes - Van Dyke and 30 Mile Roads
Predmore - Van Dyke and 31 Mile Roads
Romeo - Van Dyke and 32 Mile Roads
Roy

Postby Di_bear » December 9th, 2011, 9:41 am

I like the Trolley Trails. :-) If you want to lie to yourself and say that you're going to "take it easy," these trails are right for the job.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Return to CRAMBA