Island Lake Trail Day 10/9

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

Island Lake Trail Day 10/9

Postby froggyrider » September 17th, 2010, 5:27 am

From Dave T., the TC: "Come one, come all! We're going to have a fall trail day at Island Lake on October 9th. We got rained out of our spring trail day and the trail has been in great shape all year thanks to DNR Dave and countless other volunteers who've given a little or a lot to a trail we all ride.

We have one big-ish project to handle on the 9th and we will be sending crews out to do some fall trimming in advance of next spring.

If you have anything that you'd like to get done please post up ideas so we can prioritize."

Meet at the trail head at 9:30.

Thanks!!!"
Last edited by froggyrider on October 13th, 2010, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Re: Island Lake Trail Day 10/9

Postby froggyrider » October 13th, 2010, 10:10 pm

pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MMBA.MetroS ... ilday1009#

Thanks to...

Dave T and Mark D- ILRA Trail Coordinator and Assistant Coordinator
Matt B
Carole B
Loren K
Dave Jr S
Justin A
Dave C
Frank B
Joe F
E. Adair
Xerious
Cheryl S
Sally G
Nate S
Amber K
Mickey G
Mark C
Mike R
Steve S
Randy A
Dan Van D

From the TC:

"A big thanks to everyone who made it out to help on the trail day. We had a team do some trimming in the tunnel-of-trees leading up to the blue/yellow split, another team do some mud hole repair on either side of Spring Mill Pond, and a third team put in the minor re-route as mentioned.

The re-route was requested by the park to improve safety on the first road crossing in blue just before going under the train trestle. The existing trail was more of a "merge" instead of a crossing and it was becoming a safety issue.

The new route takes riders up a small rise and then comes to the road at about a 90 degree "T". There is a reasonable sight line (probably the best we could do considering) and scrubs off a lot of speed before reaching the road. Hopefully this will help riders naturally look before entering traffic.

We're considering this a temporary fix for 2011 and continuing our discussion with the park about what we can do for a permanent fix to that crossing in late 2011 or early 2012. We have a few ideas, but that intersection is pretty challenging with the rail road line and limited sight lines for all.

Thanks again for the help! We had great volunteers on all three of these projects and great support from the DNRE bringing loads of dirt, stone, and rocks to the work site all day."

Ride on!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Re: Island Lake Trail Day 10/9

Postby G.Cook » October 13th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Show offs ! :P
Great job everybody . I'm gonna have to ride that in the am . Yes Bill Herman , I'm gonna ride a trail E. of 23 . :P :lol:
G.Cook

Return to MCMBA