Winter Fat Biking

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

Winter Fat Biking

Postby Arctic601 » December 13th, 2020, 6:44 pm

So I bought a fat bike with plans to ride in the snow this winter. I plan to ride Milford, DTE, Hickory Glen, Tree Farm, Maybury and likely other trails near Commerce. Any recommendations from those who have rode them in the winter?
Arctic601

Re: Winter Fat Biking

Postby Dark-Fx » December 14th, 2020, 9:07 am

First tracks after (or during) a big snow is significantly harder than usual. Best thing to do is to go with a couple people and take turns at the front. Last year I solo rode first tracks at river bends during a big snowfall and my average moving speed was under 3 mph.

Make sure your tire pressure is right for the conditions, usually 5 psi or below. You want to float over the snow instead of cutting through it. If you are leaving a big rut in a packed trail your pressure is most likely too high.

Bring an extra pair of gloves that give you some protection from the elements but retains most of your dexterity. Having to do any sort of trail-side repair is almost impossible otherwise.

Have a backup plan if you're out solo and it's well below freezing. The amount of gear that works well at 32F will leave you at risk of hypothermia at 0F. I don't have any problems when riding below 0F with the right gear, but if I have any sort of a mechanical issue, I tend to get cold rather fast when not burning calories.
Unless otherwise stated my posts and comments are my own and not representative of any group.
Dark-Fx

Postby b_b » December 15th, 2020, 8:13 pm

ILRA can also be a good option since it's often packed down by snowmobiles.
b_b

Postby Arctic601 » December 15th, 2020, 9:33 pm

b_b wrote:ILRA can also be a good option since it's often packed down by snowmobiles.

I never realized you could Snowmobile at ILRA.
Arctic601

Postby c0nsumer » December 15th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Arctic601 wrote:
b_b wrote:ILRA can also be a good option since it's often packed down by snowmobiles.

I never realized you could Snowmobile at ILRA.

Bald Mountain South Unit as well.

Winter biking has been common on these trails for years because the snowmobiles will often pack it so much that on good days it's like riding a sidewalk. Fatbikes are better, but really not needed much of the winter there.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby ahopkins1988 » December 17th, 2020, 1:05 pm

They groom Proud Lake. I don't have a fat bike, but I have heard it is a fantastic ride. Typically report grooming on FB.
--
Andrew

2021 Canyon Neuron 6, 2011 Trek Mamba 29er, 2003 Trek 4500
ahopkins1988

Postby amadkins » December 17th, 2020, 6:53 pm

ahopkins1988 wrote:They groom Proud Lake. I don't have a fat bike, but I have heard it is a fantastic ride. Typically report grooming on FB.
Bill only groomed it once that I know of. Not sure if it will be recurring.
amadkins

Postby Arctic601 » December 17th, 2020, 10:03 pm

ahopkins1988 wrote:They groom Proud Lake. I don't have a fat bike, but I have heard it is a fantastic ride. Typically report grooming on FB.

I've never road Proud Lake, I've hiked many of the trails, but never been on the bike path. I'd imagine it's a better trail to ride in the winter though than in the summer. Thanks for the tip.
Arctic601

Return to MCMBA