Metro South Chapter Meeting 12/14 @7pm

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

Metro South Chapter Meeting 12/14 @7pm

Postby macbean » December 7th, 2009, 11:19 am

macbean

Re: Metro South Chapter Meeting 12/14 @7pm

Postby macbean » December 14th, 2009, 10:48 am

kemp for reminder
macbean

Postby macbean » December 15th, 2009, 12:30 pm

As mentioned previously, as of last night we have a new Chapter Board.

President - Claudia Bean
Vice President - Dave Cox
Secretary - Wendy Cox
Treasurer - Amanda Piling
State Rep/At Large Member - Dave Thompson

I want to wish this group good luck and am looking forward to an active year in the chapter. I have already heard some great ideas coming out of them and think next year will be a good one.

Thanks to everyone that volunteered their time and effort throughout this year. I especially want to thank Jean Steinberg for all her work on Take a Kid Mountain Biking and the myriad of people that make up Team Tree Farm for consistently being there when volunteers were needed.

Again, thanks everyone and see you on the trails.
macbean

Postby nhjeffs » December 15th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Congrats!
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby froggyrider » December 16th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Thanks to our board from last year: Frank Bean, Bryan Deal, Dave Poirer, and Daniel Sterling.

Welcome to our new board for 2010- Dave Cox VP, Amanda Piling, Treasurer, Dave Thompson, At Large/StateBoard Rep and Wendy Cox, Secretary. They each bring a variety of experience, coming from many different backgrounds and enjoying all types of mountain biking. They also have creativity, perseverance, a strong work ethic, great communication skills, a sense of humor and passion for mountain biking. I am lucky to be working with such a dedicated group of people, and we inherit a great heritage of outreach and advocacy under the leadership of our recent, former chapter presidents: Frank Bean and Joe Foy.

Planning the MMBA Metro South booth at the 2010 Expo is our top priority as that is in January, just around the corner!!! The board will be meeting before the new year to work on that.

Thanks to all the volunteers in our chapter who help promote advocacy for mountain biking in Michigan- TC?s, asst. TC?s, Patrollers, trail day workers, Take a Kid Mountain Biking helpers, those who do outreach with our colleagues in our more urban areas in Detroit to promote riding, Chapter and State board members, race day volunteers, and those who promote mountain biking for women.

You?ll be hearing from us on the MMBA bulletin board here and in e-mail as we meet to go over our goals for 2010, so feel free to e-mail me anytime with questions, comments or suggestions as well so we can all work to make this great chapter even stronger.

Thanks,

Claudia Bean
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby macbean » December 22nd, 2009, 12:42 pm

Draft minutes for December meeting have been posted here
macbean

Postby Miami » December 23rd, 2009, 9:28 pm

I would like to suggest that the TTF Relay be moved to July 24th.

August 7-8 is a very stacked weekend already for bicycle racing/riding in Michigan...

Saturday Aug-7 Susan G Komen ride
Saturday Aug-7 Delta Imports Ada Crit
Sunday Aug-8 Pontiac Lake Rec Area XC Race
Sunday Aug-8 Hines Park Time Trial

I also know that July 31st would be another proposed date, but with the hopes of using the Milford Crit as a big fundraiser again, it conflicts on that weekend.

July 24th should have minimal conflicts with other events drawing away potential racers.
Last edited by Miami on December 24th, 2009, 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Let's bake this cake
-Blake Griffin
Miami

Postby scat silvurz » December 23rd, 2009, 11:45 pm

Well, spoze so!

We'll investigate
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby Apps » December 24th, 2009, 9:09 am

The original weekend was open until the Pontiac race was moved.....when you're the low guy on the totem pole.....
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Miami » December 24th, 2009, 9:12 am

Almost forgot, August 7th is also the Susan G Komen ride to support cancer research.
Let's bake this cake
-Blake Griffin
Miami

Postby Apps » December 24th, 2009, 9:24 am

Miami wrote:Almost forgot, August 7th is also the Susan G Komen ride to support cancer research.

Now you see the issues we have trying to schedule a race in MI......please have some patience, we'll get this figured out. Also, I don't see us moving the race based on Road Racing events....I don't see a lot fo roadies riding our race anyway...It's hard enough staying away from competing MTB races to have to worry about a crit or something else.....
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Miami » December 24th, 2009, 9:47 am

Apps wrote:
Miami wrote:Almost forgot, August 7th is also the Susan G Komen ride to support cancer research.

Now you see the issues we have trying to schedule a race in MI......please have some patience, we'll get this figured out. Also, I don't see us moving the race based on Road Racing events....I don't see a lot fo roadies riding our race anyway...It's hard enough staying away from competing MTB races to have to worry about a crit or something else.....

No problem, I know the MetroSouth will propose a solid alternative date.

While it is difficult to schedule around MTB races alone, I disagree with your opinion of "roadies" not riding the TTF relay. My team alone usually has 4-5 "roadies" participating...this is the fun race that is less intimidating for road guys to try out their MTB skills.

And even though most road racing weekends may not deter me from getting my guys to try out the TTF Relay, since the Hines Drive TT is August 8th, they will undoubtedly be prepped for that race, and unwilling to do an event on August 7th.
Let's bake this cake
-Blake Griffin
Miami

Postby WallEyed » December 24th, 2009, 12:46 pm

We had a few people mention moving the race from August 7, and I have a message in to the park to talk about rescheduling. Looks like that July 24 date is the best option! I will post up as I hear back. Since this is the 5th anniversary we want to book a date that has the least conflicts so we can maximize the fun factor!
Dave Cox
Co-Trail Coordinator - Lakeshore Park
WallEyed

Postby WallEyed » January 7th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Start planning your costumes... the park has been booked for July 24 for the Relay!!!!
Dave Cox
Co-Trail Coordinator - Lakeshore Park
WallEyed

Postby Miami » January 8th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Very cool. We'll see you out there in full force!
Let's bake this cake
-Blake Griffin
Miami

Return to MCMBA