Metro Parks Trail?

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

Re: Metro Parks Trail?

Postby Washington Rider » May 18th, 2010, 7:08 am

Every good trail starts with an idea and a dream. The next step is to contact the Park Manager and begin a dialogue on what the park management would be open to. If they are open to a biking trail or a multi-use trail, planning can begin on the type and location of the trail within their park. I would encourage you to make contact with the Park Manager and determine if they are open to your idea. I would not get too specific on the location and type of a trail you are planning. They might have a very different opinion in this area and will be generally more receptive if you solicit their input.

Once their cooperation is certain, there are many folks within the MMBA that can assist in the planning. I would be happy to assists in any discussions with the park manager. If you can set up a time for either a conference call or a personal meeting let me know. I live pretty close to the park.
Thx,
Ted Welsh
Washington Rider

Postby froggyrider » May 18th, 2010, 7:22 am

Thanks, Ted!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby ClydesdaleBiker111 » July 13th, 2010, 6:40 am

Hi. I would LOVE to help in any way to get a trail made at Oakwoods or Willow metro parks. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I live in Allen Park and would like to see something downriver.
Giant - Boulder SE 2009
ClydesdaleBiker111

Postby Washington Rider » July 13th, 2010, 9:32 am

That's great to hear Clydes. I have not seen or heard any updates on this so do not know if Dave or Turbo have initiated any contact with the park management in the downriver area. Please post up here if you do make contact so we can avoid duplicate efforts. As noted above, getting park management involved is the key to developing trail systems. As a side note, there appears to have been quite a bit of change in park managemennt due to retirements. So be patient if you have trouble identifying the park manager or getting a hold of them. It took me a few tries to get hold of one particular park manager in the northeast metro area.
Ted
Ted Welsh
Washington Rider

Postby froggyrider » July 15th, 2010, 9:34 pm

I am cross posting as there is a lot of interest in new trails...

Hey , everyone,

Great discussion. I live in Dearborn, so getting more singletrack in Wayne County and Monroe County is on my mind from time to time. What I hope is that those who are interested in starting discussions with the various park/land leadership will do so. You obviously have a passion for brining mountain biking to all parts that are within our chapter borders, and for that I commend you. The Chapter Board supports these efforts and are willing to help if we do indeed gain new trails in our area.

What we need is the champions to take on the ground work, leg work and initial outreach. We realize that this may not be something you have done before, so we encourage you to continue to solicit advice from the current MMBA resources: TC's and Ted Welsh, the Regional TC, along with John Gonway, the government relations MMBA. They have worked with many park managers on a variety of trail initiatives and they can suggest ways to approach the parks, build relationships and then set some kindling that may eventually grow into a real trail.

It is a process, though. With dwindling budgets and competing user groups, plus lay offs and changing roles at some of the parks, one has to be prepared for a long term commitment. Many of the none trails we have in our chapter grew from that kind of long term commitment by volunteers. But, our chapter to the north just got a new trail approved, so it can be done!!! Several of our trails are only a few years old as well.

So, if you are serious about getting new trails, we suggest contacting those who have gone before you for next step suggestions, and then doing some outreach to the locations where you are interested in pursuing. You have seen how those who have walked the walk before you have posted here with suggestions. They would love to help you with suggestions as they have the same passion as you do.

So, keep the discussion going and let me know if The Chapter Board can help in any way!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » July 20th, 2010, 2:22 pm

FYI- For anyone who wants to learn more about trail building, design and working with land managers, please note this upcoming opportunity in Grand Rapids Sept. 1-12:

http://midwestmtbsummit.com/main/index. ... e&Itemid=1

It's a great way to get more involved with the MMBA and perhaps trying to get more trails!
froggyrider

Previous

Return to MCMBA