Highland Trail Days

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

Highland Trail Days

Postby froggyrider » March 21st, 2010, 8:41 am

Hi, Folks,

We'll be having some trail days on Saturday and Sunday, 3/27-28 at 9 am. Meet at the Highland trail head. We'll be placing mile markers to their locations and putting in the posts, so it will be a lot of walking, lifting, and digging with shovels (the ground is too rocky for an auger). There will be a marker every 1/2 mile over the 16 miles. Spring clean up is done, so these trail days will be mostly dealing with the posts and kiosk work. Bagels at 9 am and a lunch break will be provided both days. The weather will cooperate, so please join us! If we have teams of 2 for the posts, the more teams we have, the faster this will go as unless you are Paul Bunyan, we figure one post installation per pair will be a good bit of time/work for one trail day session.

Don't be shy- this is a great upper body workout- what we cyclists could use, right? ;)
Last edited by froggyrider on March 24th, 2010, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Re: Highland Trail Days

Postby Loren » March 21st, 2010, 1:25 pm

And rumor is there will be more Kiosking on Sunday!

Loren

Postby froggyrider » March 22nd, 2010, 8:22 am

WOW- looks great so far!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Apps » March 22nd, 2010, 9:20 am

Looks familiar....
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby bringjustn » March 22nd, 2010, 10:03 am

My goal is to make it up there, I need an excuse to use my bob, and what a better way to kick off my birthday than by hauling 4x4's :lol:
bringjustn

Postby froggyrider » March 24th, 2010, 5:18 pm

I edited the original post above to reflect the work we'll be doing this weekend. Hope to see you there!
froggyrider

Postby bringjustn » March 24th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Can I fit posts on my bob? if so I might be able to drag them out there... until I get tired, or at the least tools and what not. (I'll throw it in the car just in case)
bringjustn

Postby froggyrider » March 24th, 2010, 7:22 pm

It can't hurt- there are a lot of rocks, however, that may make it challenging. Thanks for thinking about that. The trailer we hope to have there has one as well.
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » March 25th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Highland volunteers- just a final reminder to please come prepared with a shovel and a hammer as we will need a shovel and a hammer per team of two people. We have some, but the more supplies the better. Thanks!
froggyrider

Postby otherdave » March 26th, 2010, 1:08 pm

What about post-hole diggers (the clam-shell type)? Do you think they will work or get hung up on big rocks?
otherdave

Postby G.Cook » March 26th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Was trying to make this on Sun. but a project has come up on the home trail . Hopefully next time . Sorry .
G.Cook

Postby zxtool » March 26th, 2010, 2:41 pm

I will be there saturday, but I live in a rental townhouse so wont be bringing a shovel. But I do have a hammer. :)

Kevin
zxtool

Postby nolan » March 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

What's the word? Rain or Shine today?
nolan

Postby froggyrider » March 28th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Yep- pics and details up soon, but thanks everyone for coming out. I think Bob the TC is having issues being able to post on the board, so he wants to make sure everyone knows how much we appreciated your help this weekend!

Pics and details after a nap. :P
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » March 28th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Nap was good. The Guinness was even better.

A SPECIAL THANKS TO LOREN KONKUS, WHO FACILITATED THE KIOSK PROJECT. He is officially retired from kiosk work. However, I will place the kiosk building specs on the chapter library soon, plus we'll be sending out another member survey so we can get a list of who has certain skill sets, like carpentry, and snazzy tools, like certain drills/saws and what not, so we can have a list of volunteers with skills/items.

Thanks to Ted Welsh and Loren Konkus for hauling the trailer up and back. We have 12 on our list who can haul; if anyone else can haul the trailer (2 inch hitch needed), let me know so I can add you to the list.

Thanks to the volunteers who came out this weekend:

Kevin
Russ
Bob
David
Wendy
Dave
Loren
Frank
Terry
Tim
Mike
Gary
Konrad
Steve
William
Bill
Sam the Dog
Mark
David
Justin
Matt

Thanks to the Highland Rec Park folks for preparing the posts and moving them to the staging locations. Also, thanks for putting the dead weights on the bottoms. That saved a TON of time!

Here are pics from today- if anyone has any from yesterday, please send them to me. I am sorry I didn't get e group photo at the end, but it was wet out there, and we all wanted to get going.

http://picasaweb.google.com/MMBA.MetroS ... dTrailday#

All 32 posts were installed. A few need tweaking, and then the wood needs to be marked with the actual mile locations. A few finishing touches need to be done on the kiosk as well, which Bob, Kevin and a few others can whip out soon when it is not raining on everyone!

A downed tree was removed and a cut out at Mile 3 on B loop was created. A sign will be posted there soon as well so folks who are ambitious to ride Highland but are in over their heads (like I know I have been out at Highland) can exit from the middle of B loop. New maps will be done to reflect the new cut out.

The official Carlos Memorial Ride will be posted soon as well.

Thanks to REI for this special Kiosk Grant.

Again, Bob or Kevin will post if they can get on the board; I think it wasn't cooperating.
froggyrider

Next

Return to MCMBA