Maybury Trail Day, Saturday, April 3rd

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

Maybury Trail Day, Saturday, April 3rd

Postby froggyrider » March 25th, 2010, 5:40 am

Hello,

The Maybury spring clean up trail day is set for Saturday, April 3rd at 9 am. Please meet in the trail head parking lot off 8 mile. Let's hope for good weather!
Last edited by froggyrider on April 3rd, 2010, 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Re: Maybury Trail Day, Saturday, april 3rd

Postby Sherpaboy » March 28th, 2010, 10:14 am

As Claudia mentioned above we are holding a trail day at Maybury on Saturday April 3rd.

This is open to the public to join in and help us keep Maybury in tip top shape. Come give Maybury some love whether your a member or not - we can always use the help. This should be a fairly easy trail day as well...All the hard work from years past is paying off, and the great work the DNR did last fall is holding up beautifully. Dead fall is pretty much removed already (thanks to the DNR). Our hats off to Tom and his staff for their support

Now because the trail is in pretty good shape were looking to accomplish 2 or 3 things.
De-berming, Face slapper trimming, and closing sole very old trails. We'll have the MMBA Metro South trailer at the trail head and provide all the tools needed...The predicted weather is going to be in the 70's so dress properly, bring some sunscreen and due to the little that needs to be done we can plan a ride after...so bring your bikes :wink: :-)

DETAIL:
Where: - Meet at the Main parking lot off 8 Mile. Look for the MMBA Trailer or My Silver Dodge Caravan (sorry no decals yet).
Date: Saturday April 3rd, 2010
Start Time: 9am meet, snacks, and sign waivers. 9:30am we break up into groups and start working.
What to bring: - Loppers, Gloves, and some friends :D

I estimate being wrapped up in under 2 hours for the most part....If your planning to show up late please let us know in advance and we'll save some work for you :wink: :shock:

**************************************************************************************************************
Want to know more about what we'll be doing ?

1.) De-Berming defined - Berms are small piles of dirt that build up over time along the edges of the trail proper. As we ride the trail it compacts over time and leaves the surrounding untouched ground level a little higher. In some places (turns especially) these berms can build up higher, in some places these berms prevent water from flowing down hill naturally and will pool the water. These pools create wet spots or mud puddles after a rain. Usually taking extra time for the water to perk into the soil.

Our task in de-berming is to knock down the berms and throw the dirt off trail, down slope is best. In the areas where water is pooling we want to remove enough of the berm so the lowest point of the trail is higher than the ground where the berm is/was. We want to prevent the solid from becoming a water dam and allow water to flow off the trail.

2.) Face Slapper Trimming: - Face slappers are branches that stick out into the trail and well...slap you face when riding by. These are usually invasive plants that seek out open space (i.e. trails) with in the forest. Any trail system will unfortunately encourage invasive plants because it is the path of least resistance for them to spread. This goes for horse trails, walking trails, heck even game trails (trails that animals create over time) have this issue.
Our goal for trimming: First is to determine if the plant is invasive, our main 2 culprits are the Hawthorn and even worse the Honeysuckle plants. Michigan DNR has these 2 on their hit list...

So if the plant is either of these 2 species we will remove it as much as possible. This will help the DNR efforts to eradicate them as well. We will give you a quick tutorial as well so you can determine if what your trimming is invasive.

If the plant your trimming is not invasive then we'll be trimming back the branches that are reaching into the trail.

3.) If we have the bodies, we'll look at doing some proper trail closures for old non-used trails. Basically sections that we ride right past all the time...We just want to help Mother Nature grow new seedlings and close off the sections using natural elements.

But more details will be presented at the trail day and we can answer any other questions.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Re: Maybury Trail Day, Saturday, April 3rd

Postby froggyrider » April 3rd, 2010, 6:05 pm

Thanks to everyone for coming out- 38 adults and five junior helpers:

Justin McDevitt
Scott Silvers
David Hurst
Lynda Racey
Mike Flack
Wendy Cox
Claudia Bean
Matt Bushore
Nolan Scott
David Seidel
Jeff Oles
Greg Gehl
Donald Delagrange
David Thompson
Frank Bean
Jeff Young
Gerald Gonzales and three kids (Caitlin, Gabriel, Cassandra)
Jesse Bajwa
Jim Lovett and son Brendan
Derek Gibbs
Ryan Laitila
Chris Frey
Joe Foy
Justin Applegate
Jared Pence
Dave Cox
Steve Steinberg
Jean Steinberg
Tak Kakiuchi
Eric Hay
Chris James
Guy Nutter
Jeff Smith
Nate Sefak
Adam Potts
Matthew Alter
Shawn Beeson
Seth Kleinglass and son Cane

Thanks for ERIC for getting the trailer to the trail head and Wendy for cooking.

You all did a great job!
Last edited by froggyrider on April 4th, 2010, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » April 4th, 2010, 10:57 am

froggyrider

Postby ssteinbe » April 5th, 2010, 10:52 am

Thanks to everyone for coming out- 38 adults and five junior helpers
:
... and two goats.
Steve
MCMBA/MMBA
ssteinbe

Postby scat silvurz » April 5th, 2010, 11:28 am

and two little Weiners!

Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Return to MCMBA