M-5 connector to 275?

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

M-5 connector to 275?

Postby Mweir » April 22nd, 2010, 8:29 pm

I was driving south on M-5 from Pontiac Trail and noticed some work going on about 15 or 20 feet off the shoulder between 13 and 14 mile roads. the crews were clearing a path through the trees about 6 feet wide (kinda perfect for a paved bike path dont ya think!) and i noticed that the rest of the stretch down 5 up until 13 mile at least had marker flags laid out. I just looked it up and apparently there is a plan to create a path along M-5 to connect with the 275 path, http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2008/10/01/extending-the-i-275-bike-path-north. can anyone say for sure if this work is the realization of this dream?
Mweir

Re: M-5 connector to 275?

Postby Apps » April 23rd, 2010, 8:17 am

I'm fairely certain it is. That extension was approved last year and now it's going in...from 13 to 14....I've seen the equipment there for about a week...problem is where do we go once we get to 14...N of 14 is Commerce Twp and I don't know of any plans from them to put a path in. Maybe once the Rail to Trail is approved we can get something put it to bring riders from 14 up to just north of Maple where the train tracks are now....
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Mweir » April 23rd, 2010, 10:59 am

Hopefully the pathway north of 14 mile will be a part of the Martin parkway extension which with any luck will be completed in a timely matter! last I read in the spinal column a while back the Township or DDA wanted to postpone completion of that but there were legal questions about funding expiring if it were postponed. I'm hoping that will be completed soon, not only will it relieve congestion on the roads it will give us another few miles of safe paved pathway to ride and its close to home.
Mweir

Postby broken pedal » April 30th, 2010, 11:42 am

There was a crew out there putting markers in from 14 to 15 mile this week. I would like to know if they are going to do anything on meadowbrook over 96.

Also is there any plans to come north of 15 mile to PT? It would be awesome if they came up to the tracks to one day meet up with the rail trail and as of now you could jump on from Crumb road just in my back yard. :D
broken pedal

Postby Bruck » May 10th, 2010, 8:28 am

broken pedal wrote:It would be awesome if they came up to the tracks to one day meet up with the rail trail and as of now you could jump on from Crumb road just in my back yard. :D

Is there a Rail-Trail that you can access off of Crumb?

Where have I been? Any maps of it?
Bruck

Postby Apps » May 10th, 2010, 1:00 pm

Bruck wrote:
broken pedal wrote:It would be awesome if they came up to the tracks to one day meet up with the rail trail and as of now you could jump on from Crumb road just in my back yard. :D

Is there a Rail-Trail that you can access off of Crumb?

Where have I been? Any maps of it?

It's in the works. The existing train tracks are in the process of being abandoned and purcheased for use as a Rail Trail by Wixom, Commerce and West Bloomfield.....

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=95944
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Return to MCMBA