MetroSouth Trail "Wishlist"

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

MetroSouth Trail "Wishlist"

Postby froggyrider » April 30th, 2010, 10:09 am

From original post:

Postby otherdave ? Fri 30.04.2010, 10:49 am
This thread is open for all to post your hopes and dreams for fixes, improvements, or additions to your MetroSouth chapter trails. We are looking to create a place to gather these ideas and suggestions so that Trail Coordinators can get some ideas for projects during the year and for trail days.

Please continue to use the "Trail Conditions and Comments" section to post things about trees being down or muddy conditions, etc. But, if there is a spot that (for example) is "always muddy" you could post it here and request a permanent fix (limestone or bridge or boardwalk).

In addition, please be specific about your ideas. The idea "make my favorite trail longer" will meet with more smiles than action. Instead, suggesting we re-route or add a specific section to a specific part of a trail would be something tangible we could consider.

We will mention this thread at the next chapter meeting to try to make everyone aware. Post away!
Why is it that people who know the least know it the loudest?

MetroSouth At-Large Member
MMBA State Board Rep
ILRA Trail Coordinator
Team Tree Farm

Re: MetroSouth Trail "Wishlist"

Postby otherdave ? Fri 30.04.2010, 10:54 am
I'll start!

One project we'll be looking to do this year is in the ILRA yellow loop. The exit of the bridge (about mile 1.5 before the biggish climb) is full of mud moguls. In conjunction with the DNR, we are looking at some options to address this permanently. We're still kicking around some ideas and trying to find the best solution. We hope to take it up this summer and will get the word out when we're ready.

[total side note, "biggish" is a real word. You can look it up... I'm so startled!]
Last edited by froggyrider on May 30th, 2010, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby otherdave » April 30th, 2010, 11:46 am

hockeydaddy wrote:Same area, the bridge either straighten it out some or maybe some how make it less slipery to reduce folks frrom crashing through it.

Moved from other thread.
otherdave

Postby tstefani » June 10th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Maybury any way we could get the DNR to dump a pile of rock by the puddle around mile 5 it seems like that area takes a little longer to dry after it rains and seems to be getting worse??

Tony
tstefani

Postby Mweir » June 16th, 2010, 1:37 pm

I hear this was addressed somewhat at the chapter meeting, at Hickory Glenn that boardwalk bridge over the dry river bed just before the end of the first loop... From what I hear there have been several riders far more experienced than I that have gone for a ride off the side of that bridge like I did last week and have almost done a few more times! two solutions come to mind, the easiest is to widen the bridge so when you come out of that turn you have a little more room to correct your line the second solution (and my least favorite idea) is to straighten the trail so you dont have have a relatively narrow bridge right after a blind sharp turn!

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that i will GLADLY volunteer as much time as I need to help resolve this.
Mweir

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 16th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Never had a problem with that bridge, but a couple buddies have.... a clearer sight line could help that bridge, or a marker of some sort. I'd hate to alter that section.
ColorVoyeur

Postby Mweir » June 16th, 2010, 3:04 pm

I agree that id hate to really alter that section of trail, thats why I would like to widen the bridge some (there is plenty of room on the left side where you wouldn't have to alter much of the trail), not by much, just enough to make it easier to navigate, I've found if you come out of that turn to high your wheels are pretty much pointed straight off the side of the bridge.
Mweir

Postby scat silvurz » June 16th, 2010, 3:59 pm

one of those tank-tread powered wheelbarrows!

a few BOB trailers that could be borrowed by members for trailwork
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby ClydesdaleBiker111 » July 12th, 2010, 7:02 pm

My wishlist would be to get a new trail or 2 in Southern Downriver at or around the metroparks. lots of great wooded areas. Oakwoods or Willow metroparks would be fantastic!! Someone please let me know the process of getting a new trail formed with the MMBA. Thank you!

Link to area I am talking about:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q ... Y5ODI1OQ==
Giant - Boulder SE 2009
ClydesdaleBiker111

Postby froggyrider » July 12th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Hi,

Please see:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=96122

Maybe you guys can chat about what may work well. I'll see if Ted can chime in again as well. I'll see if he or John Gonway can touch base with you guys soon.

What about the Dearborn trail- it is a bandit trail (yet posted on this board quite a bit :wink: ); any thoughts about that one as it can be a good link up to the Rouge as it is not far... Not sure what they city of Dearborn would think of that. But we can try. If people prefer it to be bandit for the cool factor, then it may be better not to post about it and trail work some want to do on the MMBA board...
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby tstefani » July 13th, 2010, 11:44 am

where is this dearborn trail located at?
tstefani

Postby irish » July 15th, 2010, 10:59 am

Singletrack at Kensington...:)

Is it an option? Will the MP's allow MTB trails? Just think, Proud Lake > Milford > Kensington > Island Lake and then back...now that is a day of MTBing.
irish

Postby Apps » July 15th, 2010, 2:14 pm

irish wrote:Singletrack at Kensington...:)

Is it an option? Will the MP's allow MTB trails? Just think, Proud Lake > Milford > Kensington > Island Lake and then back...now that is a day of MTBing.

"The Metroparks" aren't the issue..it's the individual unit manager I believe...Stoney is a Metro Park and we have MTB trails and the skills park...getting in to Kensington has been a long fight...Technically the connector from Proud Lake to Kensington is on Kensington property so we're making headway but it's slow....
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby froggyrider » July 15th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Hey , everyone,

Great discussion. I live in Dearborn, so getting more singletrack in Wayne County and Monroe County is on my mind from time to time. What I hope is that those who are interested in starting discussions with the various park/land leadership will do so. You obviously have a passion for brining mountain biking to all parts that are within our chapter borders, and for that I commend you. The Chapter Board supports these efforts and are willing to help if we do indeed gain new trails in our area.

What we need is the champions to take on the ground work, leg work and initial outreach. We realize that this may not be something you have done before, so we encourage you to continue to solicit advice from the current MMBA resources: TC's and Ted Welsh, the Regional TC, along with John Gonway, the government relations MMBA. They have worked with many park managers on a variety of trail initiatives and they can suggest ways to approach the parks, build relationships and then set some kindling that may eventually grow into a real trail.

It is a process, though. With dwindling budgets and competing user groups, plus lay offs and changing roles at some of the parks, one has to be prepared for a long term commitment. Many of the none trails we have in our chapter grew from that kind of long term commitment by volunteers. But, our chapter to the north just got a new trail approved, so it can be done!!! Several of our trails are only a few years old as well.

So, if you are serious about getting new trails, we suggest contacting those who have gone before you for next step suggestions, and then doing some outreach to the locations where you are interested in pursuing. You have seen how those who have walked the walk before you have posted here with suggestions. They would love to help you with suggestions as they have the same passion as you do.

So, keep the discussion going and let me know if The Chapter Board can help in any way!
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » July 20th, 2010, 2:23 pm

FYI- For anyone who wants to learn more about trail building, design and working with land managers, please note this upcoming opportunity in Grand Rapids Sept. 1-12:

http://midwestmtbsummit.com/main/index. ... e&Itemid=1

It's a great way to get more involved with the MMBA and perhaps trying to get more trails!
froggyrider

Postby Spinwheel » July 25th, 2010, 9:43 pm

A few of these - gas powered hedge trimmers - would come in handy this time of year for fighting back thick brush and vines.. I can think of at least 2 trails where I could use on these now!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Next

Return to MCMBA