Trails needing face slapper cutting

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

Trails needing face slapper cutting

Postby froggyrider » May 21st, 2010, 8:57 am

Cutting Face Slappers: If you did not have the chance to help at a trail day but would still like to contribute, you can help with cutting back face slappers. You will see posts on the board about face slappers that can be annoying on our rides (and they hurt!). You can spend an hour or two on a rained out weeknight when you aren?t riding, do some cutting on a ?tapering? night, or get some pals to go out and focus on a section and cut back the face slappers before or after your group ride. Some of our trails are still pretty clear as the trail day was recent (such as Proud Lake), but many of our trails have grown in so much with all of the rain that we need face slapper cutters, especially before the Milford Challenge.

Trails needing Face Slapper Cutting as of 09/29/10

According to the recent posts, the trails are in good shape. Please post if you see any issues that you cannot take care of as your ride by...

Come join us at the Rouge trail day 10/3 and Island Lake trail day 10/9!

PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE ROOTS OR LEAVES FROM THE TRAILS!!! Removing these will add to erosion. Someone has been removing roots at at least two of our trails and it is already sandy in those spots. Also, leaf season is coming it- LEAF them LEAVES ALONE! If you want to help, join us at a trail day and learn about proper trail maintenance.

Remember to e-mail your volunteer hours to metrosouth AT mmba.org so we can log them when you have gone out to cut face slappers. Even if you are shy, we want to be able to tell the parks at the end of the year how many MMBA volunteer hours were done at the trails. Also check the trail conditions thread to see what areas need the most attention on the trails that need cutting back.

I'll update the dates and trails listed above as needed based on the trail conditions thread.

Thanks!
Last edited by froggyrider on September 29th, 2010, 5:21 pm, edited 14 times in total.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Trails needing cutting / weed trimming.

Postby ClydesdaleBiker111 » July 30th, 2010, 5:11 pm

I was at Lakeshore Park in Novi today and in my humble opinion it could use some weed trimming throughout the trail. Mostly in the areas closer to the tracks and some areas towards the end. My leg,s arms, and face were getting a beating with the long weeds. I would love to help and trim along the path here, but wanted to clarify with MMBA and I guess more so Metro South how to do that. Can I just show up one day with trimmers and cut away at what I think needs it?? Someone please let me know. Thanks!!
Giant - Boulder SE 2009
ClydesdaleBiker111

Re: Trails needing face slapper cutting

Postby ClydesdaleBiker111 » July 30th, 2010, 8:00 pm

I recieved my answer on a different post by one of the Lakeshore Trail Coordinators.
Giant - Boulder SE 2009
ClydesdaleBiker111

Postby froggyrider » July 31st, 2010, 11:59 am

Great- thanks for your interest and help!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » August 12th, 2010, 6:25 pm

anyone who has time to cut some late summer face slappers- much appreciated!
froggyrider

Postby ClydesdaleBiker111 » August 12th, 2010, 8:00 pm

I am going to try to get to Lakeshore park to volunteer. Does Metro South have any of those signs that say warm riders that trail maintainance is in progress? Also does anyone have any better tools that I could borrow? Is there a Metro south set of tools people can use? I only have plain ol' hedge trimmers. That may take forever. No biggie but I was wondering if anyone had any gas powered stuff. Please let me know about these questions. Thanks!
Giant - Boulder SE 2009
ClydesdaleBiker111

Postby froggyrider » August 12th, 2010, 9:24 pm

We use signs and the tools from the trailer when we have a trail day. usually if there is just one person out trimming, they use what they have and trim here and there as they ride. However, sometimes the trail Coordinators will promote a trail work day and have a cache of tools.
froggyrider

Postby Loren » August 12th, 2010, 9:43 pm

At Lakeshore, either Dave or I need to be present and supervise/participate when power equipment is used. You're welcome to hand prune anytime, but we need to work together for anything more. (I've got all the power equipment necessary.)

I'm sure we can make this work. PM me when I'm back from ore 2 shore next week, and let's compare schedules.
Loren

Postby froggyrider » September 4th, 2010, 11:03 am

PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE ROOTS OR LEAVES FROM THE TRAILS!!! Removing these will add to erosion. Someone has been removing roots at at least two of our trails and it is already sandy in those spots. Also, leaf season is coming it- LEAF them LEAVES ALONE! If you want to help, join us at a trail day and learn about proper trail maintenance.
froggyrider

Return to MCMBA