Grosse Ile Trail - is it possible to build?

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

Grosse Ile Trail - is it possible to build?

Postby turbospartan » July 6th, 2010, 11:57 am

While cruising in our boat yesterday, we were driving South in the Trenton Channel from Wyandotte (we park our boat at Humbug).

I noticed that the Northern end of Grosse Ile is uninhabited. From the water, there looks like there is a decent chunk of open land until you actually start getting towards the houses. Google maps confirms this....

Does anyone know who owns that whole Northern tip of the island? From google maps it just looks like a vacant field... no houses, no many trees, etc. Wikipedia states that certain sections of Grosse Ile were actually bought by the city so that the island had "nature areas" and wasn't completely packed with houses. Could this be one of those sections?

I don't know how the terrain is there, and I don't think there are many trees, but..... I was thinking that it would definitely be a pretty cool site (from a boat) to see a biker ripping up a trail that followed the "coast-line" of the island.

This may have a 0.0000001% chance of even becoming feasible, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if some discussion could get started. It would definitely give another option to all of the riders in the southeastern section of Wayne county.
turbospartan

Re: Grosse Ile Trail - is it possible to build?

Postby froggyrider » July 7th, 2010, 9:01 am

Sounds intriguing- thanks for your interest and post. It would be great to get more trails in that part of our chapter. Let's see if anyone in the know posts on this topic in the next day or so. If not, I'll get back to you soon on any ideas or direction.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby bassman201 » July 11th, 2010, 8:57 pm

I think it is owned by BASF and is caustic land (rust out you bike) but anyone with something different please post up

Bassman201
Be friendly to everyone on the trail as they
may be the one to pull your face off that tree,
shoulder out of the dirt, or foot out of your own mouth
bassman201

Postby turbospartan » July 12th, 2010, 2:24 pm

If thats the case... thats no good.

It would be cool to have at least a pump track or something out there.

My vision would be to have Dirt Jumping out there, right on the coastline. I don't really dirt jump (only started riding 2 months ago, but I do hit any jump I see when I come upon it on the trail)... but man that would be an awesome site if you were on a boat and saw a group of riders just hitting jumps right next to the water!
turbospartan

Postby ClydesdaleBiker111 » July 12th, 2010, 6:55 pm

This trail sounds great if we could get it going. I would also love LOVE to get a nice trail made in or around one of the Metroparks downriver. Either Willow or Oakwoods metropark would be great. I want to learn how to spearhead such a project with the MMBA.
Giant - Boulder SE 2009
ClydesdaleBiker111

Postby utabintarbo » July 13th, 2010, 2:04 pm

ClydesdaleBiker111 wrote:This trail sounds great if we could get it going. I would also love LOVE to get a nice trail made in or around one of the Metroparks downriver. Either Willow or Oakwoods metropark would be great. I want to learn how to spearhead such a project with the MMBA.

You might want to contact wingzz on this board. He is the TC for Stony Creek Metropark. He may have some insight on this.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby froggyrider » July 13th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Great idea as Stony is at a Metro park. They are all very different. But if you see what the history is there, it would be a good start. Also see Ted's ideas here (he is the regional TC for the area): viewtopic.php?f=45&t=96122&start=15
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » July 15th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Hey , everyone,

This is all I could find on Grosse Isle contamination:

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=UTF- ... 3CaMjLfw--

Love teh link, eh? Sorry.. Anyway, it could use some more digging around of information to be sure, if it is safe, hahah, I suppose...

Anyway,

Great discussion. I live in Dearborn, so getting more singletrack in Wayne County and Monroe County is on my mind from time to time. What I hope is that those who are interested in starting discussions with the various park/land leadership will do so. You obviously have a passion for brining mountain biking to all parts that are within our chapter borders, and for that I commend you. The Chapter Board supports these efforts and are willing to help if we do indeed gain new trails in our area.

What we need is the champions to take on the ground work, leg work and initial outreach. We realize that this may not be something you have done before, so we encourage you to continue to solicit advice from the current MMBA resources: TC's and Ted Welsh, the Regional TC, along with John Gonway, the government relations MMBA. They have worked with many park managers on a variety of trail initiatives and they can suggest ways to approach the parks, build relationships and then set some kindling that may eventually grow into a real trail.

It is a process, though. With dwindling budgets and competing user groups, plus lay offs and changing roles at some of the parks, one has to be prepared for a long term commitment. Many of the none trails we have in our chapter grew from that kind of long term commitment by volunteers. But, our chapter to the north just got a new trail approved, so it can be done!!! Several of our trails are only a few years old as well.

So, if you are serious about getting new trails, we suggest contacting those who have gone before you for next step suggestions, and then doing some outreach to the locations where you are interested in pursuing. You have seen how those who have walked the walk before you have posted here with suggestions. They would love to help you with suggestions as they have the same passion as you do.

So, keep the discussion going and let me know if The Board can help in any way!
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » July 20th, 2010, 2:23 pm

FYI- For anyone who wants to learn more about trail building, design and working with land managers, please note this upcoming opportunity in Grand Rapids Sept. 1-12:

http://midwestmtbsummit.com/main/index. ... e&Itemid=1

It's a great way to get more involved with the MMBA and perhaps trying to get more trails!
froggyrider

Return to MCMBA