Alternating Direction at Fort Custer

For discussing Southwest Michigan Mountain Biking Association topics.

Alternating Direction at Fort Custer

Postby kzoo » January 27th, 2017, 10:21 am

This is a great idea...hope to try the granny's in the opposite way.
kzoo

Re: Alternating Direction at Fort Custer

Postby F7Cannon » September 14th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Tried it today. Honestly didn't care for either Green or Red in the opposite direction. All the fun fast down hill spots on Red have been pretty much eliminated now. Green was ok in a few sections but not much better IMO. Lot's of people going the wrong way today which I think is ridiculous because the trail is marked incredibly well and there are signs everywhere posting the new change. Two of the people I saw today going the wrong way (scary at speed) told me I was going the wrong way and they knew nothing of the changes, the other two knew but said they didn't give a bleep that that was the way they were always going to ride it! With that said the Ft is still one of my favorite trails around and I will continue to ride there often. Just not in the opposite direction for now.
F7Cannon

Postby Pjthom22 » October 3rd, 2017, 12:25 pm

I agree that it doesn't flow well at all. Many of the turns require hard braking at speed. I don't get the hype because I didn't find much about it enjoyable. But oh well, I'll avoid backwards day as much as possible. Most people ride it much slower and probably like that change.
Pjthom22

Postby Hudnut » October 3rd, 2017, 1:41 pm

I'm guessing that the trail over time will bed into the alternating direction. The turns will start to develop a new grove and the trail should move better.
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby AllMountin' » October 3rd, 2017, 2:30 pm

I'll disagree and say that I enjoy both directions fairly equally. I enjoyed the few little root step ups on the climbs. A welcome challenge. Climbing the drop on grannies, and the rooted entrance(exit on yellow days) was fun. All the flat sections flow fine on yellow, and it's nice to finish with the trenches. We stopped and sessioned the rock armor climb(waterfall?) and the rooted dirt option, with step up, right next to it. A worthy challenge, but cleaned it every time. I thought all but a couple corners work at speed.

All three of our crew found it less taxing than the normal direction. Did three reds and two greens for the day. It was fun.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby b_b » October 3rd, 2017, 10:19 pm

Hudnut wrote:I'm guessing that the trail over time will bed into the alternating direction. The turns will start to develop a new grove and the trail should move better.

This has been my experience and it can take a little while. I found the new Hines trail awkward at first, but now the trail is a blast. It's twisty but flows nicely now.
b_b

Postby Broadway417 » October 30th, 2018, 7:04 pm

I ride Fort Custer a least once a week (both loops) throughout the summer and after trying the new direction I really don't care for either loop in the "opposite" direction. I used to ride on Saturdays but that is the opposite direction day so now I usually ride on Sundays, problem solved. I have to mention the trail maintenance that went on there all summer long, FANTASTIC! job and thanks.
Broadway417

Return to SWMMBA