Johnson / Millenium Park

For discussing West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance topics.

Re: Johnson / Millenium Park

Postby dennismurphy » October 15th, 2011, 10:43 am

Johnson Park was our first Kent County trail proposal- the director said that mtb trails in that park did not fit the character or mission of that particular park and he passed us on to look at Luton, which Rick Plite and team brought to fruition. Johnson Park does many rentals for the county park system- reserve rentals for family gatherings as well as the pavilion building there.

Aman Park is a City of Gr Rapids park- from what I know, biking was allowed there years ago.
dennismurphy

Postby ballpk » November 2nd, 2011, 1:15 pm

I just had this conversation w/ my wife after complaining about having to drive out of the city to find a decent trail.
I've seem in the past that they chalk out a trail for cross country running, I wonder if it goes into the woods at all? If not it would make for a good cross ride.

On the subject of G.R. parks does anyone know about a trail being developed in the southern part of town, maybe even in Wyoming? I remember seeing something about it in the paper but forget the name of the park.
ballpk

Postby RickPlite » November 2nd, 2011, 2:31 pm

ballpk wrote:I just had this conversation w/ my wife after complaining about having to drive out of the city to find a decent trail.
I've seem in the past that they chalk out a trail for cross country running, I wonder if it goes into the woods at all? If not it would make for a good cross ride.

On the subject of G.R. parks does anyone know about a trail being developed in the southern part of town, maybe even in Wyoming? I remember seeing something about it in the paper but forget the name of the park.

The trail in Wyoming didn't pan out but construction of Kenosha near Kalamazoo and 32nd St is underway. Come to the WMMBA chapter meeting Monday Nov 7th at Rockys Bar and Grill downtown to learn about all the other city trails being worked on.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Mike_D » November 22nd, 2011, 9:17 am

cramer wrote:Millenium however seems like an ideal location to me though, since it would serve people from the other side of the county and there is a ton of land there and some elevation also. Being linked to the Kent Trails means there is access for many people without using a car to get there. It just seems like a great location for some natural surface trails. Maybe some day we can revisit this with them and get something started.

I agree it would be a great place for some singletrack but I am biased since it does suck to have to drive a minimum of 30 minutes to get to any singletrack for me. There are so many different parking areas at different areas next to Kent Trails that you wouldn't need to park at a trailhead at Millenium. Like you said, you wouldn't need to use a car to get there. For me, it would be a 10 minute bike ride. I think there might be an issue with getting some lengthy singletrack at Millenium since there is PAVED trail everywhere in that park now and a singletrack would most likely need to cross a paved trail at some point which would create a safety issue. Maybe this would not be the case but I know that there is a lot of wetlands in that park too that could restrict some singletrack access. It would have been nice if Luton had been up and running a few years before the Millenium highway system was planned. Perhaps some singletrack could have been planned also.

Slowpoke brought up a good point about trail runners using this as well. Does anyone know if there is a trail runner club that the WMMBA could join forces with in promoting this to Millenium again??? I think the owner of Striders/Grandville used to promote a huge trail race up at the Big M every fall. He might be someone to talk to about "joining forces".

As for Johnson Park, it sure seems like a singletrack system could be put in place up in the hilly wooded section away from all of the picnic areas. Granted there is scenic drive up there but as long as you didn't have a trail bomb across it on a downhill run, it could be somewhat safe. There are already restrooms in place for riders to change and huge parking lots in addition to being able to park along Butterworth. If they put a trail in @ JP and another at MP, the 2 would be tied together with the paved trail running between the 2. Ok, I'm dreaming. Back to work :roll:

It would just be nice to get some new singletrack on this side of town instead of all the nice singletrack going in around the Rockford area. Maybe we need some reps from this side of town in on the decision making - JK :wink:
Mike_D

Postby Mike_D » November 23rd, 2011, 12:08 am

By coincidence, I see in the Advance newspaper an article on Kent trails and how much it has grown and how much it costs to maintain. Here is a quote from the article: "....an annual total maintenance cost of $20,000 for the first 10 years and $25,000 annually for the next 10, with the Kent County Parks Department paying half and the other half being charged to the remaining five partners based on the original formula based on how many miles of trails were in the community"

and here is a link to the article:
http://www.mlive.com/walker/index.ssf/2011/11/kent_trails_management_agreeme.html

Here's an idea..... Not sure what is involved with these maintenance costs but suppose the MMBA proposes to maintain or help maintain those existing trails in exchange for allowing us to build some singletrack in Millenium Park or Johnson Park??? I'm guessing some of the maintenance is grass mowing and brush trimming? Just thinking if we saved the parks dept. some cash well you know how money talks :roll: Just another idea and maybe this has been thrown on the table already.....
Mike_D

Postby cramer » November 23rd, 2011, 9:58 am

mntn-biker wrote:By coincidence, I see in the Advance newspaper an article on Kent trails and how much it has grown and how much it costs to maintain. Here is a quote from the article: "....an annual total maintenance cost of $20,000 for the first 10 years and $25,000 annually for the next 10, with the Kent County Parks Department paying half and the other half being charged to the remaining five partners based on the original formula based on how many miles of trails were in the community"

http://www.mlive.com/walker/index.ssf/2011/11/kent_trails_management_agreeme.html

Here's an idea..... Not sure what is involved with these maintenance costs but suppose the MMBA proposes to maintain or help maintain those existing trails in exchange for allowing us to build some singletrack in Millenium Park or Johnson Park??? I'm guessing some of the maintenance is grass mowing and brush trimming? Just thinking if we saved the parks dept. some cash well you know how money talks :roll: Just another idea and maybe this has been thrown on the table already.....

We have to deal with maintenance with the trail here in Cannon Township and we just got done examining our budget for this so it's fresh in my mind. It seems like in our case, the regular maintenance of picking up trash, removing deadfall and pruning trees is all done currently by volunteers and we have plenty of people willing to do this. I suspect Kent Trails is in the same situation, I know the White Pine Trail also has a large group of volunteers for this. For clearing leaves and mowing, the county has the equipment to make short work of that type of stuff and in fact they help us with that work on the Cannon Township Paved Trail.

The stuff that costs real money is too expensive to justify WMMBA money going there and it's outside of what volunteers can do. This includes damage to structures from dead trees landing on them and repairing root damage to the trail surface and trying to prevent it by trenching on either side of the trail. There is also repairing damage caused by vandals or snowmobiles with studded tires illegally riding on the trail. On top of that, the pavement itself has a limited lifespan so budgeting for eventually repaving the entire trail is important as well as replacing old bridges.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » November 23rd, 2011, 10:08 am

cramer wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:By coincidence, I see in the Advance newspaper an article on Kent trails and how much it has grown and how much it costs to maintain. Here is a quote from the article: "....an annual total maintenance cost of $20,000 for the first 10 years and $25,000 annually for the next 10, with the Kent County Parks Department paying half and the other half being charged to the remaining five partners based on the original formula based on how many miles of trails were in the community"

We have to deal with maintenance with the trail here in Cannon Township and we just got done examining our budget for this so it's fresh in my mind. It seems like in our case, the regular maintenance of picking up trash, removing deadfall and pruning trees is all done currently by volunteers and we have plenty of people willing to do this. I suspect Kent Trails is in the same situation, I know the White Pine Trail also has a large group of volunteers for this. For clearing leaves and mowing, the county has the equipment to make short work of that type of stuff and in fact they help us with that work on the Cannon Township Paved Trail.

The stuff that costs real money is too expensive to justify WMMBA money going there and it's outside of what volunteers can do. This includes damage to structures from dead trees landing on them and repairing root damage to the trail surface and trying to prevent it by trenching on either side of the trail. There is also repairing damage caused by vandals or snowmobiles with studded tires illegally riding on the trail. On top of that, the pavement itself has a limited lifespan so budgeting for eventually repaving the entire trail is important as well as replacing old bridges.

All good points. I forgot about the "Friends of the White Pine Trail" or whatever they call themselves probably doing a bunch of volunteer work already which like you said isn't figured into the budget. They should have left the trails a natural surface.... Like what we like to ride :D They could have saved the taxpayers some $$$ It's the gift that keeps on giving :roll:
Mike_D

Postby nate.phelps » January 15th, 2012, 9:41 am

ballpk wrote:I just had this conversation w/ my wife after complaining about having to drive out of the city to find a decent trail.

We have the ability to work with the city of Wyoming on a trail, it's just that every time I start the process the volunteers dry up.

Although not deep into the south side of GR, there will be expansion this year at the Bike Park. Think 3 mile long pump track.
Nate Phelps
nate.phelps

Postby ignition16 » January 15th, 2012, 10:29 pm

I bet we would be able to find some volunteers if something like this were to get started on the southwest side of town. I know Tom has had big troubles out at Bass River getting volunteers though. I would be curious to see how many zip codes like 49544, 49428, 49426, 49418, 49424, 49464, and 49423 showed up in that Luton Park sign-in book. The Southwest side (and toward Holland) is really no-man's land at this point. I live in Jenison, and all 4 of the closest trails are 25-35 minutes away.

I guess the new Holland trail will be the new closest thing for a fair amount of us. We just need to show up and show our support for nearby trails.
ignition16

Postby Mike_D » January 24th, 2012, 12:00 am

Anyone see the "Mackinac Bridge" in Millenium Park over Maynard yet??? :shock:

Amazing how tax payer monies can be spent on that but not a single area of that large expanse can be set aside for a self sustaining multi-use running/biking/hiking/xc skiing/snowshoeing singletrack trail in the park :roll:
Mike_D

Postby SlowPoke » January 24th, 2012, 7:32 am

mntn-biker wrote:Anyone see the "Mackinac Bridge" in Millenium Park over Maynard yet??? :shock:

Amazing how tax payer monies can be spent on that but not a single area of that large expanse can be set aside for a self sustaining multi-use running/biking/hiking/xc skiing/snowshoeing singletrack trail in the park :roll:

Every time I ride over that, I think the same thing then I get the crazy old Joni Mitchell song in my head.

To develop the maser plan for the park, I think someone walked all the two tracks and single tracks I had been riding and decided to pave all of them.
SlowPoke

Postby Mike_D » January 31st, 2012, 12:51 am

I went for a road ride last Friday afternoon in the 40 somethin' degree weather and hit the trails and was surprised to see a number of the trails were still ice covered. Jokingly, I was thinking sarcastically to myself, "Now if they are going to go and pave all these trails, the least they could do is plow them" :mrgreen: Then, what really made me laugh is when I made my way around the west side across from the new "Taj Mahal" of a boat house for KAYAKS :shock: is that they actually had plowed the trail :lol: So not only do we spend taxpayer monies on paving them, we also plow them too??? And we haven't even talked about maintaining them with sealer or repaving after a few years. It's the gift that keeps on giving :!:
Mike_D

Postby J_Roon » April 13th, 2012, 12:00 pm

I too longboard there and it would be perfect for a MTB single track. I'm down for lending a hand on getting this started. Opening up the park to MTB would greatly increase the amount of people going to the park. They've got disc golf, playground, baseball fields...why not add MTB?
Symbiote Cycleworks Getchyer weight back 'n' hang on
Cannondale Rush 600
Trek 29er
'10 Raleigh Talus 5.0
J_Roon

Previous

Return to WMMBA