Owasippie

For discussing West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance topics.

Owasippie

Postby yahtzee_99 » May 9th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Rode Owasippie for the first time since it's been reopened, only got the 8 mile loop in because it was gettting too late for the 11 mile. However my GPS watch listed the trail as being 7.3 miles, does my watch not calculate all the twist and turns or have others experienced this? Nothing huge just wondering.

So glad to have such a wonderful trail here along the shoreline. I only hope the relationship between the Scouts (Chicago Council) and the WMMBA continues to grow. The possibilities out there is endless (approx 5,000 acres of land). Also a big shout out to Randy Knapp for all your work and dedication!

I would encourage everyone to go out help support this effort and see this trail for yourself (get your passes at www.ooec.org). The more interest we get the better our relationship becomes with the Scouts. Daily Passes $10 per car (max 4 people) or Yearly Pass for $60.
yahtzee_99

Re: Owasippie

Postby Slimm » May 10th, 2012, 9:20 am

yahtzee_99 wrote:Rode Owasippie for the first time since it's been reopened, only got the 8 mile loop in because it was gettting too late for the 11 mile. However my GPS watch listed the trail as being 7.3 miles, does my watch not calculate all the twist and turns or have others experienced this? Nothing huge just wondering.

i think two things happen with GPS. first, on tight twisty curvy stuff, i think it measures a little short just based on the way the satellites track the device. i also think the altitude calculations aren't exact. I usually figure a 5% - 10% shortage on single track mileage reported by my garmin.
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby yahtzee_99 » May 10th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Has anyone done the 10 mile loop? Thoughts?
yahtzee_99

Postby rideondirt » May 31st, 2012, 1:01 pm

My GPS watch always comes up a bit short.

I've done several loops of the 8 and 11 mile. The 8 mile loops is only, as far as my computer registers, a full 8 miles from parking lot to parking lot--in other words, if you count from the trail head to trail end, it will come up about 7.7 miles.

The 11-mile loop comes in just over 11 miles. Love the 11 mile loop, there are some really scenic sections. The hills definitely get bigger. And the goat trail section is exhilarating.

As soon as the they get all the reroutes worked out and the new sections broken in, it's gonna bet really fun!
rideondirt

Postby yahtzee_99 » June 1st, 2012, 2:43 pm

I have done the 10 mile loop now a couple of times and it's a blast. Very scenic, and the one particular section you are riding the side of a hill and if you fall right it's a pretty steep drop. Yeah the potential at Owasippie is huge!
yahtzee_99

Postby SteveF » June 3rd, 2012, 6:33 pm

Next weekend is the last weekend we can ride here, right? Before fall I mean? Anyone doing or interested in doing a group ride saturday, 6/9?

I recall there was some question in years past about which day it actually closes. I hope we get one more weekend there--haven't been able to ride there yet this year! I'd hate to make the 100+ mile drive and find it posted...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby yahtzee_99 » June 4th, 2012, 12:30 pm

6/9 is the last day it is open till the scouts leave (August 18th). I would be down for a group ride out there.
yahtzee_99

Postby SteveF » June 4th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Cool, thanks! My buddy and I would be coming from Lansing, so we could probably be there around 10 am pretty easily...
SteveF

Postby yahtzee_99 » June 6th, 2012, 7:57 am

Ok the guys I ride with can't do 10 am(his daughter has a noon soccer game, and the other has graduation parties). We are aiming to be at the trailhead around 8:30-9 am. Either way you and your friend will have a good time.

Just remember the trail does not start across Russell Road as it had in years past. It now starts by the old baseball fields. Directions - If you are in the parking lot look for a smaller building that says "Public Restroom" (basically opposite direction of Russell Road, more towards the maintenance building). If you ride towards the restrooms, right behind it is the old baseball fields and you will see the trail marker just beyond them.
yahtzee_99

Postby SteveF » June 6th, 2012, 8:23 am

yahtzee_99 wrote:Ok the guys I ride with can't do 10 am(his daughter has a noon soccer game, and the other has graduation parties). We are aiming to be at the trailhead around 8:30-9 am. Either way you and your friend will have a good time.

Just remember the trail does not start across Russell Road as it had in years past. It now starts by the old baseball fields. Directions - If you are in the parking lot look for a smaller building that says "Public Restroom" (basically opposite direction of Russell Road, more towards the maintenance building). If you ride towards the restrooms, right behind it is the old baseball fields and you will see the trail marker just beyond them.

Ah well--I don't know if we can get there that early-I'll talk with him about it. Thanks for the trail head directions, though! That'll be a big help.
SteveF

Return to WMMBA