GR Trip

For discussing West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance topics.

GR Trip

Postby Ea » August 22nd, 2013, 9:39 am

My bf and I are going to be in Grand Rapids for a Friday night-Sunday early afternoon in the near future, and looking to ride some trails we've never ridden. I was tentatively planning Cannonsburg SGA and Ski Area for Saturday, then Merrell and Luton Park on Sunday. However there's a chance we won't make it to the second trail each day. If you had to pick two of the four, which would it be? Would you ride Merrell on Saturday or Sunday (I heard the direction changes daily)? I ride XC, not so much freeride. I guess I would choose fast/flowy over slow/twisty, but would be happy with either. Any input appreciated. :D
Andrea
Ea

Re: GR Trip

Postby AllMountin' » August 22nd, 2013, 11:09 pm

IMO, the best two trails are Merrell Red and Merrell Yellow. Sunday is a Red day, which is the superior direction, but Yellow is great too, and an entirely different trail. When I make it to that side of the state, I always ride Merrell. Best construction around IMO.

Luton is a very modern style as well, and is very flowy. It lacks the berms, rollers, and sustained descents of Merrell, and is more traditional XC.

CSA, from what I recall, is more climby, with some terrific terrain. I've only ridden it at the end of the Trifecta, but think it worthy of a separate trip. I would opt for CSA only if looking for more of an aerobic challenge.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Re: GR Trip

Postby Ea » May 21st, 2014, 9:40 am

We're headed back up to Grand Rapids tomorrow for a couple days and were hoping to get a ride in on Friday. I heard that Merrell is closed due to wet conditions/ruts, and I don't want my name to be "Mud." How about Luton or the Cannonsburgs? Will they be ok to ride on Friday?
Andrea
Ea

Return to WMMBA