Grand Rapids urban bike park

For discussing West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance topics.

Re: Grand Rapids urban bike park

Postby nate.phelps » January 13th, 2010, 8:37 pm

work has started at the bike park.
Jason Wells from IMBA trail solutions is in town.
Dirt is pretty much in place and sculpting starts.

Thursday afternoon, Friday all day, and Saturday morning we will be working on the pump track.

Around 11am on Saturday we will stop for a workshop/tour. Bring a bike.
Nate Phelps
nate.phelps

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » January 18th, 2010, 10:50 am

I will be there....in spirit.
The Motion Initiative
Believers On Mountain Bikes, International
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
2WheeledWarrior

Postby jmgrandrapids » April 2nd, 2010, 9:01 pm

What is the current status of construction?
jmgrandrapids

Postby Madeye » April 9th, 2010, 8:10 pm

I'm curious as well as to the progress of this build, I know the pump track was built. Any ideas as to when it will be open for riding (weather permitting of course)
Madeye

Postby RickPlite » April 9th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Madeye wrote:I'm curious as well as to the progress of this build, I know the pump track was built. Any ideas as to when it will be open for riding (weather permitting of course)

there is a workday there tomorrow from 10-1 and riding afterward. the pump track is ridable and the singletrack will be cut tomorrow from what I hear
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby classifieds only » April 13th, 2010, 2:40 pm

So the area is open for riding?
classifieds only

Postby nate.phelps » April 13th, 2010, 10:29 pm

The pump track is close to final shaping and open to riding when not being worked on.
Singletrack is under construction and will be opened as it is completed. The skills area
is in planning stage. The main push right now is to have the pump track completed by May 15th
for a grand opening. Works days are scheduled every Thursday after work to dusk. Saturday May 1st
is a work day 10am-1pm and Saturday May 15th is a combined work day with Pioneer Construction and Friends
of GR Parks to pick up trash in the woods along Plaster Creek where the singletrack is being built. Afterwards there will be a short
ceremony and the pumptrack will be opened.
Nate Phelps
nate.phelps

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » June 1st, 2010, 12:43 pm

Can we have some signs put up to limit the area to bicycles only? That should cut down the number of dirtbikes and other illegal usage.
The Motion Initiative
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
2WheeledWarrior

Postby gtrowbridge » August 25th, 2010, 12:01 pm

We rode this trail last week.
Where does the trail actually start? Is it behind that big tree? We couldn't find the trail head and ended up riding to a bunch of dead ends....one of which was a Hobo camp. Weird. (nobody was there). :shock:
We saw red arrows and white arrows.
Any definition as to what those are?

Once we found the arrows the trails started to make more sense but we ran out of time (we were riding during our lunch break). We never did find the beginning or the end.

Our first time on freestyle/bmx stuff. We are clearly not proficient jumpers. :lol:
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » September 16th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Where does the trail start? Great question. I just get on it where ever.

Is the bike park closed at dusk? I was wondering what the possibilities were of night riding there.
The Motion Initiative
2WheeledWarrior

Postby gtrowbridge » September 17th, 2010, 8:29 am

2WheeledWarrior wrote:Where does the trail start? Great question. I just get on it where ever.

Is the bike park closed at dusk? I was wondering what the possibilities were of night riding there.

I learned at the Summit where it starts now. It is directly across from the cement block barn you first approach. There is a white arrow you can see from the building. I guess there is now a blue loop too. We designed in a new section during the IMBA trail school, then wMMBA put it in with a mechanical trail build demo. It would be interesting to see how closely they were able to follow the design.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby trout_smith » September 17th, 2010, 2:45 pm

gtrowbridge wrote:
2WheeledWarrior wrote:Where does the trail start? Great question. I just get on it where ever.

I learned at the Summit where it starts now. It is directly across from the cement block barn you first approach. There is a white arrow you can see from the building. I guess there is now a blue loop too. We designed in a new section during the IMBA trail school, then wMMBA put it in with a mechanical trail build demo. It would be interesting to see how closely they were able to follow the design.

Does anyone know if they were able to include the "rock option" at the end of the trail (near the trailhead). No biggie, I can stop by and check it out.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » April 2nd, 2011, 8:45 pm

I went by the park on Friday and found several quads doing spin outs. I was on my way to talk to them and ask them to leave, but when they looked at me, they sped off into the woods in the direction of the singletrack. I saw some damage to part of the singletrack and later heard and then saw other dirtbikes back there.

I noticed that if the police come by on patrol to look out for those dirtbikes, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing they can do because the gate is closed and locked. by the time the police can get past the gate, any one is long gone.
Is there any way we can lose the gate, or change it's position?
Also, some signage about bicycles only is sorely needed. Several people in the nearby neighborhood have been using this area for motorbikes for decades and are quite used to going back there.
The Motion Initiative
2WheeledWarrior

Previous

Return to WMMBA