Brighton Rec Trail Section Adoption

For discussing Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association topics.

Brighton Rec Trail Section Adoption

Postby Hermannator » February 25th, 2016, 1:49 pm

In case you didn't know, Brighton Rec has about 20 miles of singletrack, and there is a possibility for more expansion or improvement. To help those who do the heavy work, we are rolling out again for this year a trail segment adoption initiative. A trail segment adopter simply trims back the growth from a particular trail section and clears any debris from the trail. This is typically done in late Spring and again around mid to late summer. What we want are a few motivated people or groups to commit to keeping their portion of the trail fun to ride...
Trail segments are about 1.5 to 2 miles long and will have varying degrees of necessary maintenance. If you are new to trail trimming, then post up here or on the Poto Facebook page and I am certain someone will respond with answers to your questions or even come out and help you. Remember, the quality of your trails depends on volunteers. Give back to the sport you love.
I have included a list below of the sections. If you are interested in adopting a section, or have any questions, then please PM me. (Tom)
A detailed trail map with the sections will be displayed at Hometown Bikes in Brighton as well.

Trail sections to be adopted:
Appleton:
A. _____ All of Appleton

Murray Lake:
B. _____ Beginning to bench at Marker 4 intersection
C. _____ Marker 4 to bench at Marker 5 intersection
D. _____ Lost Loop - Marker 5 to end
E. Taken Found Loop (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)
F. _____ Marker 5 to top of hill after mixing bowl
G. _____ Top of Hill to Marker 4 intersection
H. _____ Marker 4 to end of Murray

Torn Shirt:
I. _____ Trailhead to new hilltop picnic table
J. _____ Picnic table to end of 3rd new reroute
K. _____ End of third new reroute to emergency exit E4
L. _____ Emergency exit E4 to end of trail

Thanks.
Hermannator

Re: Brighton Rec Trail Section Adoption

Postby dudegetabike » February 26th, 2016, 1:49 pm

I've been wanting to help out with trail maintenance, and since this is the trail I ride the most this would be perfect.

Couple questions:

Why is the "what" loop not on here? (right turn directly after starting found loop)

Clearing small brush is pretty straight forward, but what do you do if there's a big tree down and you don't own a chainsaw? Pack a hand saw?
5 it son!

2018 Canyon Spectral CF8
2021 Niner RKT
2015 'Goose Vinson (Fatties rule!)
2012 Sunday 2nd Wave
2017 Sunday C24
dudegetabike

Postby Jared13 » February 26th, 2016, 1:56 pm

dudegetabike wrote:I've been wanting to help out with trail maintenance, and since this is the trail I ride the most this would be perfect.

Couple questions:

Why is the "what" loop not on here? (right turn directly after starting found loop)

Clearing small brush is pretty straight forward, but what do you do if there's a big tree down and you don't own a chainsaw? Pack a hand saw?

If you need to pick up a hand saw, I highly recommend the Silky ones.
Jared13

Postby dudegetabike » February 26th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Jared13 wrote:If you need to pick up a hand saw, I highly recommend the Silky ones.

That looks nice for 3-6" trees, but I'm not going to dig into a 12-16" tree with one of those. Is there a limit at which point you call the DNR?
5 it son!

2018 Canyon Spectral CF8
2021 Niner RKT
2015 'Goose Vinson (Fatties rule!)
2012 Sunday 2nd Wave
2017 Sunday C24
dudegetabike

Postby Hermannator » February 26th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Here are the answers to your questions...
If you can safely remove a branch intruding on the trail with a hand saw, go for it. If it requires a chainsaw, then only the DNR or people approved by the DNR can remove it. So if you find a large log, post it up on the forum or let the DNR know about it at the office. If it is in a blind corner and poses a danger to riders, and you are afraid someone will get hurt in the mean time, you could even spread a few branches on the trail just before the blind corner to slow people down so that they don't clobber themselves. (I've done this).

The "what" loop is not officially recognized by the DNR as a part of the trail system, so we did not include it in the map. I know for a fact that there are many trails secretly maintained by bikers throughout the park and nearby parks. No judgment on my part. But the Poto chapter cannot officially endorse adopting out a trail section that according to the land manager (DNR) should not exist. The TC and the Poto chapter has maintained a good relationship with the DNR at the park and wants to continue that. As a result he has been able to expand the mileage at the park to up to 20 miles and pit in some really awesome re-routes. It would be silly to jeopardize that relationship (or any possible future additions to the system) by adding the "what" section to the map.
To quote Forrest Gump: "that's all I want to say about that...."

Thanks for the interest.... Hope we can sign you guys up for help this summer.
Hermannator

Return to PotoMBA