Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby slaterbj » April 8th, 2005, 7:43 am

I plan on stopping by and riding it today after work. With the great weather we have had this week I would assume that it is in great condidtion. I know I am assuming, but if the trail is still too wet I won't ride it.

I will let you know how it is!
On two wheels or in the air I am always flying
slaterbj

Postby strohme2 » April 12th, 2005, 1:23 pm

i'll be in G Rap this weekend, i need a sweet place to ride. How was it here? thanks
strohme2

Postby seether » April 12th, 2005, 1:56 pm

strohme2 wrote:i'll be in G Rap this weekend, i need a sweet place to ride. How was it here? thanks

its dry. really dry. there are sand-pits in places you'd never have thunk. even the parking lot is a sand pit. still decent riding though. just make sure to use a chain lube that doesn't attract dirt.
If you wish to study a granfalloon, just remove the skin of a toy balloon.?Bokonon
seether

Postby Mike_D » April 12th, 2005, 2:14 pm

redherring wrote:
strohme2 wrote:i'll be in G Rap this weekend, i need a sweet place to ride. How was it here? thanks

its dry. really dry. there are sand-pits in places you'd never have thunk. even the parking lot is a sand pit. still decent riding though. just make sure to use a chain lube that doesn't attract dirt.

2 loops here is good training for Yankee Springs now with all of the sand :lol: :shock:
Mike_D

Egypt Valley distance?

Postby on_belay616 » April 12th, 2005, 8:01 pm

Hello all -

Have any of you rubber-heads clocked the mileage for the Egypt valley loops? My computer went jumped ship and went hiding in the woods a few years back and I never replaced it! >grin<
on_belay616

Postby Mike_D » April 12th, 2005, 8:06 pm

My speed-o-meter says it is between 6.94 and 7.20 miles for all 3 sections combined.
Last edited by Mike_D on April 12th, 2005, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_D

Postby blamp28 » April 12th, 2005, 8:08 pm

I always clock 7.15 Miles
blamp28

Postby KonaGirl » April 13th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Has anyone been out to CSGA this week? If so, what is it like? Rideable? Muddy in spots? Feel like the sand dunes in Holland?
Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.
Oliver Goldsmith

Western Chapter Member
KonaGirl

Postby Mike_D » April 13th, 2005, 6:48 pm

KonaGirl wrote:Has anyone been out to CSGA this week? If so, what is it like? Rideable? Muddy in spots? Feel like the sand dunes in Holland?

KonaGirl - Read above - I was just out there Saturday afternoon. Bring your flotation sand paddle tires :lol:
Mike_D

Postby tjstelma » April 13th, 2005, 7:41 pm

I echo the aforementioned. Rode there Monday afternoon. It's very dry (what isn't right now?) and sandy in some locations. But hey, it's mountain biking...take what the trail gives you. It can't be hardpack and fast everywhere, everytime right? Still very enjoyable and it's nice to get off the roads and back into the woods.

There are some areas where people have started to make their own reroutes around arguably not-so-difficult sections (the stairsteps on the last section for instance) and it's disappointing. It's starting to look like a double track in spots. :cry: If you've been riding there for years and remember the way the trail used to be, stay on it. Don't give in and take the reroutes. Sometimes it's hard because you're looking at the trail and you just follow it without thinking, but your second and third laps you'll remember the right way :!:
"What if the life that we pursue, came from a hunger for the truth? What if the family turned to Jesus--stopped asking Oprah what to do?"
--"What If His People Prayed", Casting Crowns
tjstelma

CBSG avoid?

Postby lexicus » April 13th, 2005, 8:21 pm

Will CSGA ever be moved off the avoid list? I don't know much about the history there, however I remember reading something about not being about to create new trails there.

I spent a lot of time out there last year.. and really enjoy the trail.

~Lex
lexicus

Postby Scotty » April 15th, 2005, 2:55 pm

I rode the SGA last night (4/14). It's becoming an awful mess.

There are "ride arounds" all over the place. There are spots where the trail now goes both right AND left around trees. Some spots where there are small bits of erosion are getting really bad as people are widening the trail and making the erosion worse. people are riding around water bars, and around dried up puddles! (why would someone ride around a spot where a puddle used to be?)

With the lack of spring rain so far this month, it's so dry that the trail is showing all the traffic really badly. All the nice weather is also putting more people on the trail than I think is normal for this time of year. Last night the cars were lined up way down 4 mile rode. Most of the people I see riding out there this time of year are novices who need information and education.

I know the DNR agent in charge of the Game Area is picky about reroutes, but we need to do something. Parts of this trail are becoming a real wreck, and won't get any better because of the nature of the soil and trail construction out there.
Scotty

Postby Mike_D » April 15th, 2005, 3:33 pm

Scotty wrote:I rode the SGA last night (4/14). It's becoming an awful mess.

Parts of this trail are becoming a real wreck, and won't get any better because of the nature of the soil and trail construction out there.

Well put! I rode it this afternoon and I agree. Maybe some rain would help pack it down but there is none expected til middle of next week but maybe the damage is already done (speaking of all the new sand pits)?
Mike_D

Postby Scotty » April 15th, 2005, 3:42 pm

I know that it's been frustrating at times for the trail coordinator as well. The DNR has been cold to reroutes to the existing trail for a very long time, so damaged areas (sand pits and poorly constructed trail) continue to get worse with heavy traffic.

I've been all over that property, and I'm convinced that some thouhtful reroutes could eliminate a number of the messy spots on the trail and really improve the experience for the locals.

Once a trail begins to fall apart, it fuels decline. People start to suspend their trail ediquete and even thoughtful riders start adding to the problem.

On the flip side, the C-burg Ski hill is in fairly nice shape right now. Not perfect, but clean enough to get a nice ride in. We spent all afternoon on Sunday cleaning the trail and closing off spurs to give it a follow-able route.
Scotty

Postby Mike_D » April 15th, 2005, 4:03 pm

Scotty wrote:closing off spurs to give it a follow-able route.

Question about the ski area - once you climb the long "2 track" (on the left side as you face the ski hill) and get to the top of the hill, did you route the riders to the left and head them to the big sand downhill? I love that portion of the trail (before the sand that is) that skirts the side of that hill.
Mike_D

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions