Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Smooth Sailing

Postby Darkside » May 3rd, 2006, 12:21 pm

Clear, dry, and fast - that's how the trails were over the weekend. A few rough spots out there, just the nature of the trail I guess. What's with the sporadic chunks of blacktop?
Now, you've got a corpse in a car, minus a head, in a garage. Take me to it.
-The Wolf
Darkside

Ticks

Postby mtnbiker2010 » July 14th, 2006, 1:04 am

Rode Ionia on July 14th and both of us had two ticks on us. Just a reminder to always check yourself for ticks after any ride. The trail was in pretty good condition just slightly overgrown in spots.
mtnbiker2010

Trees, Carcasses

Postby sngltrack » August 15th, 2006, 12:07 pm

There's a tree down about a 1/4 mile before returning to the jailhouse. Too high to go over, too low to go under. There's also a dead racoon. I forget where. Trust your nose.
sngltrack

Glass

Postby guyb » August 16th, 2006, 12:01 pm

In two areas of the larger loop the trail has two regularly used lines. The trail basically splits in two for about 4 feet. If you choose the right lines someone is putting broken glass down. The glass shards are on end. I have cleared them a couple of times, but they keep coming back. I just wanted to warn people.
guyb

Postby jasondew » September 17th, 2006, 12:37 pm

guyb,

if you or anyone else sees evidence of broken glass placed in the trail or anywhere in the rec. area please call the police and file a report. the Ionia state rec. area manager should also be informed. if this has been happening, it is definitely malicious and illegal. other parts of the country have had very bad problems of vandalism/malicious intent like this and i guess the idea is finally getting to michigan. any alteration to the trail or any area within the state park that is being modified to intentionally hurt someone or damage property must be taken very seriously.

if someone is upset because unauthorized rerouting of the trail is being done there are better ways to resolve this than to try to injure another ride or park visitor. i might suggest contacting the area manager or the MMBA trail coordinator.
jason
jasondew

Postby garyf » September 19th, 2006, 9:36 am

The glass out there is more likely trash than it is vandalism. The trail looks to be some sort of fromer wasteland, and you will find evidence of broken glass and ceramic all over the trail.
garyf

Postby jasondew » September 19th, 2006, 6:47 pm

i haven't seen it first hand so i can't comment on what is actually happening. if someone is intentionally placing glass fragments in the trail with a point positioned to cut a tire or hurt a rider then those actions are definitely criminal. if it's just garbage being thrown there or that has been there for a long time then it's just littering.

do the glass pieces appear to be placed in the soil or just sitting on top?
jason
jasondew

Postby garyf » September 21st, 2006, 9:41 am

The glass is just trash, I double checked last night just to make sure we were thinking of the same spot, and it has been there since the trail has been there, most likely 50 years before the trail. The whole trail is littered with old bottles, cables, fence. I do believe it was a popular dumping site at one time.
garyf

Postby jasondew » September 23rd, 2006, 5:55 pm

i'm glad it's just trash.

in other areas of the country there have been cases where people have tried to hurt/maim bikers with a variety of trail modification methods which i won't mention here.

thanks for the clarification.

jason
jason
jasondew

Postby redrabbit » November 19th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Trail was slick after the rain lately but in good condition. Wear bright colors as the area has hunters who use the trail area as well.
redrabbit

Postby Special Goodness » February 23rd, 2007, 8:10 pm

Tried to ride today, but I wasn't man enough. Someone has ridden a snowmobile on some sections. You can actually ride on the packed snow, but it's pretty icy. The areas of exposed earth are pretty soft. I guess that means that the ground isn't frozen anymore. I've had just about enough of winter, and I can't wait for twilight singletrack on a spring evening!
-The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your action.
-Half of all people are below average.
-President, FSU Cycling (find it on Facebook)
Special Goodness

Postby trout_smith » February 24th, 2007, 3:19 pm

Special Goodness wrote:The areas of exposed earth are pretty soft. I guess that means that the ground isn't frozen anymore.

Finally! I thought we would have to wait longer than this! Did ya see any worms?
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Trail Conditions

Postby MTBMTH » March 13th, 2007, 2:27 pm

I am sure the trail is really sloppy now, but does someone with more experience than me (lived in MI only 1 year) know when it should be ready?
Or, could someone who lives a bit closer post some trail conditions?
I live in Lansing and don't really want to drive up there a couple weeks from now only to find a slopfest.
MTBMTH

Postby mtbyker » March 13th, 2007, 3:04 pm

The Ionia trail takes a little longer to dry out, the big lap dries up faster than the smaller one. The big lap holds water down by the river/railroad tracks and a few other places. Would guess it might be a while yet. I got a buddy that owns a business in Ionia and I'll have him check in a couple weeks.......
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby Special Goodness » March 15th, 2007, 11:35 am

It usually takes the smaller loop at least 3 days of really nice weather to dry out during the summer. It's the same for the low areas of the big loop. The best thing to do is skip the short loop altogether and skip the first section of the long loop. Go down the dirt road at the end of the parking lot. The trail crosses the road just before the railroad tracks. If you get on the trail at that point, you'll only have two or three areas that are chronically wet to cross.

I?m hoping to be able to ride this weekend. I?ll post what I find.
-The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your action.
-Half of all people are below average.
-President, FSU Cycling (find it on Facebook)
Special Goodness

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions