Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby vagabond » December 24th, 2006, 3:26 pm

Trail still in acceptable condition. Some mudd here and there.
vagabond

Postby Alchemist » January 17th, 2007, 8:57 am

A good sized logging crew is going to be needed in the spring. There are at least 2 (possibly 4) large trees down, blocking the central? loop where it enters the last stretch of woods at the back of park.
Alchemist

Postby vagabond » January 21st, 2007, 7:22 pm

There is no problem to circumnavigate the new obstruction. Just turn south for maybe 250yds and then west into the forest. :shock:
vagabond

hi

Postby caniseeyourid » March 31st, 2007, 8:06 am

Are the trees still there? Me and my friend live around 10 mins from there, if I could get someone to sign off hours for my community service I would have no problem going back there and attempting to clear the trees. Anyone know trail conditions other than that? Me and my friend want to help add to the course and any other info fir the new year would be great, thanks

Brett
caniseeyourid

Postby Elno Lewis » March 31st, 2007, 8:28 am

There were some der. hanger eating rocks in the tree line when I rode there last--are they still there?
Palmdale! Come back to me!
I need you and I love you!
Elno Lewis

Trail Not in Riding Condition

Postby Czachorski » April 1st, 2007, 11:44 am

I went to trail this AM - I was excited to have discovered this trail so close to my house, thanks to this site. The trail is not in good shape for riding - very wet, sloppy, muddy. We had a little rain last night, but I was hopeful the trail would be in good shape, after seeing the excellent conditions at Island Lake on Friday night. This area is a lot more flat and low-lying than island lake, and is still very bad. Bemis road is a mess too.

I was confused by some conflicting information - the trail report on the top of this trails page says that it could use some thaw season riding to even the bumps out, but the trail is marked with those "is your name mud" do not ride signs. When I got to the trail head, I saw those signs, and realized they conflicted with the trail report here, so I thought the signs must be old and just not taken down yet. That was wrong. I rode the first part of it, and then turned around - it was a mess. Ignore the post at the top of the trail report page for a few more weeks yet.
Czachorski

Rutt

Postby ypsi_N8 » April 6th, 2007, 3:33 pm

Somebody made a 2" deep pizza cutter through about 2/3 of the trail. That must have taken some kind of determination to ride through mud that deep. Way to go buddy...
I've been trying to "stomp" in the worst parts when I walk my dogs out there but it's pretty ugly.
Some parts of the trail are dry, but there are a few spots that stay wet most of the year. Hopefully we'll get them rerouted this summer.
ypsi_N8

Postby Czachorski » April 8th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Went and rode about half the trail yesterday - the cold weather made the ground nice and hard, but there are still some big, long softspots, that necessitated walking the bike through. I didn't see the consistent slice over 2/3 of the course N8 is describing - he must have filled it nicely, but there were 5-6 lines like that through the softspots that I walked through. A real bad one just before the eastern loop on the main path. I would wait a few more weeks still. Kinda anxious to fully ride this one, since it is so close to my house. :)
Czachorski

Postby caniseeyourid » April 20th, 2007, 9:49 pm

what do we need to do to get this trail more popular? I think since hewens creek doesnt have the hills that other more popular trails have, we should do something different, and use the water, make it worth the view and trip to come check out hewens creek. Anything we can do this summer about adding trails around the water? Threw the water? anything different?
caniseeyourid

Postby adroit rider » April 20th, 2007, 11:41 pm

Dirt jump park
adroit rider

Postby caniseeyourid » April 21st, 2007, 6:01 pm

Can we do that? make a seperate trail on this park for advanced riding? Ride over rocks, logs, bridges, make dirt jumps, as long as there is a way around each obstacle..what would be the problem of doing this? Then people would actually want to come check out our park, and get people to ride on the normal path to keep all the stuff growing on the track...
caniseeyourid

Pretty Good Shape

Postby lucasfoster80 » April 22nd, 2007, 2:43 pm

The trail is in good shape, besides a few muddy parts near the beginning that are indeed avoidable.
lucasfoster80

Postby bodomaniac » April 23rd, 2007, 10:25 am

caniseeyourid wrote:what do we need to do to get this trail more popular? I think since hewens creek doesnt have the hills that other more popular trails have, we should do something different, and use the water, make it worth the view and trip to come check out hewens creek. Anything we can do this summer about adding trails around the water? Threw the water? anything different?

Actually, I just rode the new wooded section and it's not bad. The trail could be a lot of fun if it simply got more use and was broken in more so you could maintain some semblance of speed and rhythm. It's great trail to introduce kids to MTB and has a lot of potential in time.
Finishing second or almost winning are varying degrees of worst than first.
bodomaniac

Postby Elno Lewis » April 23rd, 2007, 10:39 am

how's the 'parking lot'?

Push it for beginners.

Mosquitos are heck in the warm weather.

Better signage.

Sponsor some kids days and beginners days---hold some classes.

Its basically a beginners, non-hardcore course so if you want to promote it, that is the route you should take. Maybe a picnic area with a table or two and a really small course for the little tikes. A playground.

Or, cater to the older crowd and hook up some lap dances.
Palmdale! Come back to me!
I need you and I love you!
Elno Lewis

Postby tcb » April 23rd, 2007, 10:18 pm

I'm going to check it out tomorrow afternoon?
tcb

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions