CRAMBA: Seven Lakes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

seven lakes

Postby Specializedrider » April 19th, 2006, 8:24 pm

doesn't andbody ride there? the last post is over a year old? i suppose i could head out there myself, but i guess i don't want towast my time if i can't ride it. and it would be nice if there were others there, too.
Specializedrider

Postby jamesbondwink » June 3rd, 2006, 8:47 pm

Seven Lakes really has some good trails. It's a great place for beginners, and if you live close, it's a great place to ride when you find some spare time. There are some trails that aren't on the map that are also pretty good, however, the wider more beginner-friendly trails are the ones on the map. The trails are in generally good shape, with few exceptions. Also, there numerous good climbs for the more seasoned riders.

Bottom Line: Seven Lakes State Park has trails that really are better than most peole think.
Last edited by jamesbondwink on July 29th, 2006, 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark

Life is short, bikes are cool
jamesbondwink

Postby k1ds3ns4t10n » June 20th, 2006, 4:23 pm

I couldn't agree more. I rode seven lakes last year in June and July. I found the trails to be in great shape with lots of climbs. I will be camping there this weekend with my dad and nephew. We plan to ride the trails quite a bit.
k1ds3ns4t10n

Seven Lakes

Postby Dobermann185 » June 20th, 2006, 4:50 pm

I live near Seven Lakes and ride about once a week there. You can put together some good loops and there are some good climbs. My favorite hill to climb is the sandlake campground area. Seven Lakes offers the same things as Island Lake with relation to a beach area to swim and camping. I think mostly locals use it for mtbking.
Dobermann185

Postby k1ds3ns4t10n » June 21st, 2006, 9:24 am

I think I know that hill.. is it the large hill behind the last row of camp sites, with the trail that follows along the top of the hill? That is a nice climb and fast downhill.
k1ds3ns4t10n

Postby Rider » June 21st, 2006, 11:21 am

i rode the trails last week for the first time at 7 lakes. they aren't well marked, but there is a lot to be discovered there. i live just a hare over a mile from the back entrance off eddy lake. it's nice to bike right from the house instead of loading up the truck with gear all the time. i noticed a couple bad mud/swamp spots... and it hadn't rained for a little over a week when i rode the trails. other than that, there were a couple climbs that i enjoyed and a few sections that i really liked cruisin' through. i'm sure if i was on trails with someone who knew how to make a couple good loops it'd be even more fun. until then... i'll keep exploring :D

rider

Rider

Seven Lakes

Postby Dobermann185 » June 21st, 2006, 11:52 am

That is the hill I was refering to. There is another long climb that is not as steep but still burns when you get to the top. You just continue out the back of the campground and you see a two track, it goes around the lake. I also live just a couple miles from the back of the park. I stay away from the Eddy Lake Rd. entrance becuase of the swampy sections that are always pretty wet. I just ride up to Petts Rd. and get into the park by the damm.
Dobermann185

Re: Seven Lakes

Postby Rider » June 21st, 2006, 1:14 pm

Dobermann185 wrote:I stay away from the Eddy Lake Rd. entrance becuase of the swampy sections that are always pretty wet. I just ride up to Petts Rd. and get into the park by the damm.

i'm gonna head in by the dam too next time i ride there. how many miles can you get in there with out being too redundant? 8-10?

rider

Rider

Re: Seven Lakes

Postby Rider » June 21st, 2006, 1:14 pm

Dobermann185 wrote:I stay away from the Eddy Lake Rd. entrance becuase of the swampy sections that are always pretty wet. I just ride up to Petts Rd. and get into the park by the damm.

i'm gonna head in by the dam too next time i ride there. how many miles can you get in there with out being too redundant? 8-10?

rider

Rider

Miles

Postby Dobermann185 » June 21st, 2006, 5:20 pm

I have not kept track, I do not have a computer on my bike. I go by time spent and HR at Seven Lakes. I can ride for on hour to 1 1/2 hours from my house. There use to be a trail that goes along the power lines that would link everything together, but that will take you into the wet swamp area. A reroute around that area would make it nice
Dobermann185

Re: Miles

Postby Rider » June 21st, 2006, 6:14 pm

Dobermann185 wrote:There use to be a trail that goes along the power lines that would link everything together, but that will take you into the wet swamp area. A reroute around that area would make it nice

the trail that runs along the power lines is still there. i don't know if i took the correct "back way in" off of eddy lake, but most of that was on the power line trail with swamp crossings.

rider

Rider

Postby PeterCox » January 3rd, 2007, 7:38 pm

the tinsman entrace by the damm is good and i road the eddy lake entrace in late summer and it wasn't too bad, the trail by the powerlines is there but kinda rough and you just get into a swamp and can't go any further
PeterCox

Postby Luke » June 22nd, 2007, 9:23 am

So why is Seven Lakes marked ?avoid? on the trail guide?

I wanted to hit something new and planned to ride it tonight.
Luke

Postby barrybs » June 22nd, 2007, 9:55 am

Don't know why it would be marked "Avoid".
I rode there about three weeks ago and other then a few mud holes from a recent rain and some downed trees, it was a pretty good ride. It has quite a bit of singletrack with some pretty good climbs. It's kind of a maze of trails so a map would be handy, although some of the intersections are marked.

Barry
barrybs

Postby F » June 22nd, 2007, 6:31 pm

I rode 7 lakes this morning. I was worried because it was marked avoid but went anyways as it is only a 3.5 mile bike ride from my house. I enjoyed the trails and found hills to climb, steps (tree roots), and even a small stone or two. There was a bit of mud in some of the valleys but nothing to worry about. There were a few downed trees. I noticed lots of tall grass in the open areas and the signage could be better.

I haven't ridden any other SE MI MTB trials so I have nothing to compare it to but I had fun.
Last edited by F on July 6th, 2007, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
F

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions