Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby cramer » April 14th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Whenever an easier bandit line pops up on a challenging climb, it's weird how everyone abandons the original trail so quickly. The original is still there, it's not blocked off yet everyone opts for the new easier line. With all the love for erosion, I'm surprised I never see tire tracks on those old lines.

Cramer
cramer

Postby Guppie » April 14th, 2008, 4:01 pm

CSGA has bandit trails around those two sandpits. I NEVER use them since riding through 4 inches of sand is part of the challenge in mountain biking. Plus, it helps me train for races. The fastest line is not always the popular line.
Guppie

Postby number2 » April 14th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Guppie wrote:
number2 wrote:
Guppie wrote:Three years ago, around the 5 mile mark, the trail was pretty nasty. I went over the bars on a rough down hill part and knocked myself out cold. Thankfully I was with somebody. That area was rerouted either last year or the year before.

Yankee could use another LONG climb. Doesn't need to be steep, but long. Climbs with switchbacks, which would really work the force/power in your legs. I love climbing. :)
There are alot of big climbs around yankee, you just have to find them.

Yes there are, but riding bandit trails is not a positive thing. It would be AWESOME if we could tap into Devils Soup Bowl some how, but being a local 'attraction' that will never happen.
who said anything about bandit trails
number2

Postby cramer » April 14th, 2008, 4:51 pm

Guppie wrote:CSGA has bandit trails around those two sandpits. I NEVER use them since riding through 4 inches of sand is part of the challenge in mountain biking. Plus, it helps me train for races. The fastest line is not always the popular line.

Never?! Really? The one and only time I rode out there with you, you went around the sand pit at the end of the first section.

How about that climb near the end of the ski area trail? The one where it eroded away leaving a deep trench and then a couple of years ago a bandit line sprang up on the left side of it. Do you go up the trench still or take the easy way now? On one of the legacy downhill sections at the ski area there is an old line that got chowed up with braking bumps and sand, then people started riding off to the right side where it was smoother. I don't see any tracks on that old sand line anymore, just the new line. At the game area just before the creek on the third section, I always go between the tight trees, almost everyone else I see always goes to the right where it's easier, same thing for that old line past the bridge with all the tree roots right after that.. it's gone now.

I can list several more examples but I think it's interesting to note that the bandits remove more trail challenges than all the trail coordinators combined. We had a log in the middle of a corner at the beginning of the new creek section at the ski area. It took a little bit of skill to ride it but evidently it was too hard for someone. Rather than learn to ride it or contact the TC to discuss it, they removed it. It's frustrating to try to include technical challenges on a trail, have them removed by bandits and then be accused of trying to intentionally make things easier.

Cramer
cramer

Postby Guppie » April 14th, 2008, 5:10 pm

I don't remember what path I took 6 months ago. Between my road bike and mountain bike I log 8-12 hours a week for training, so remembering every ride is difficult. I just remember using your SS, which may be the reason, I don't know. If I did go around, then I'll say 99.9% of the time I go through the sand. Besides, weren't you about 200 yards behind us.. :wink:

I don't know the Ski area well. I only rode it that one time after we were at Robinettes. I do look forward to getting back out there.
Guppie

Postby cramer » April 14th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Guppie wrote:Besides, weren't you about 200 yards behind us.. :wink:

Only 'cause I had to stop and re-adjust that saddle height eight times! Plus I'm not used to riding 40 pound bikes.

:wink:

I forgot that you're not a regular out at the ski area (yet).

Cramer
cramer

Postby Geterin Diaz » April 14th, 2008, 6:01 pm

Guppie wrote:
Don't buy a state park sticker

http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=71125

It's a voluntary tax IMO, just like a lottery ticket.
I do not need one to be on the land, only to park my car there. I will give as little money to this horrendously run state as I possibly can.

Flame away!
Geterin Diaz

Postby mverona » April 14th, 2008, 6:15 pm

hahaha thats funny. I still buy a park pass but like to ride in to Yankee, Custer, Island Lake, Brighton, etc. It's a good warmup.
MV
mverona

Postby jonvenlet » April 14th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Geterin Diaz wrote:
Guppie wrote:

I do not need one to be on the land, only to park my car there. I will give as little money to this horrendously run state as I possibly can.

Flame away!

ya its all good till they start closing parks. for the hours of enjoyment (or torture) is $30 REALLY that much to spend? :roll:
jonvenlet

Postby ReidRules18 » April 14th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Tell me about it. The State Park closures are a huge concern for me with regards to Michigan.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby sworks88 » April 14th, 2008, 7:54 pm

On the Yankee springs side of things:

I rode the trail tonight for the first time this year. It was good. Real good.

Towards the end of the ride we got passed by Danielle Musto and another fast woman. The one is racing Sunday...and Danielle will be doing a 100 miler. It was cool to see her training on the local trails. It wasnt cool to get smoked by both of them :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Redefining SLOW one agonizing pedal stroke at a time.

http://singletrackchronicles.blogspot.com/
sworks88

Postby Guppie » April 14th, 2008, 8:18 pm

ya its all good till they start closing parks. for the hours of enjoyment (or torture) is $30 REALLY that much to spend

He must still be on allowance. All you really have to do is mow two or three yards and you have $30.

His comments are so idiotic it's comical. I'm going to move his comments to the General thread. Maybe others few the same way. I'd find it hard to believe, but just maybe.

LOL
Guppie

Postby Guppie » April 14th, 2008, 9:12 pm

To return this thread to trail conditions discussion, those interested can continue the cost debate here

http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?p=472436#472436
Guppie

Postby dennismurphy » April 14th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Geterin Diaz wrote:
Guppie wrote:

Flame away!

That makes you a welfare queen, sponging off the finances of others
dennismurphy

Postby Geterin Diaz » April 15th, 2008, 10:37 am

jonvenlet wrote:
Geterin Diaz wrote:
Guppie wrote:

Flame away!

ya its all good till they start closing parks. for the hours of enjoyment (or torture) is $30 REALLY that much to spend? :roll:

It's not the amount of $. It's where it's going. Sorry you lemmings on your own.
Geterin Diaz

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions