Northern: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

What is the best trail to hit in the UP?

Postby PeaceOut » May 2nd, 2008, 9:06 pm

Any opinions on the best trail in the UP to bike?
Last edited by PeaceOut on May 13th, 2008, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeaceOut

Postby elsievo » May 8th, 2008, 7:59 am

Swedetown is still pretty wet with many spots of snow on the singletrack. Will start dealing with the deadfalls this weekend and maybe start shoveling the snow off the trail.

Give it a week or two if your planning to ride out there.
Marc
aka Mattockman
___
A practicing Creationist . . . because trails are not a product of evolution.
elsievo

Swedetown

Postby elsievo » May 15th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Trails seem pretty much dry enough to declare it open. McGunns and the Cable Connector are still a bit moist but will be ready very soon

I still haven't dealt with all the dead falls. There are still 8-9 trees across the trails throughout the system. Will be working on it this weekend after the Tour Da Keweenaw.
Marc
aka Mattockman
___
elsievo

Ogemaw Info

Postby NovaraAspen » May 21st, 2008, 12:13 pm

How does Ogemaw compare to Addison, Stony or Pontiac Lake?

I am thinking about riding there on my honeymoon, but I want to make sure that the finance can handle it...he is a begineer.

Does anyone recommend any other trails near Prudenville / Houghten Lake area?

Any info would be appreciated.

EDIT: I just found some more great info in the General Section. I am still looking for some comparision though of Ogemaw, Hanson and Hartwick to the local routes at AO, SC and PL.
NovaraAspen

Postby bno70_1 » May 21st, 2008, 12:23 pm

elsievo wrote:Swedetown is still pretty wet with many spots of snow on the singletrack. Will start dealing with the deadfalls this weekend and maybe start shoveling the snow off the trail.

Give it a week or two if your planning to ride out there.

Swedetown? Like up in Calumet? Man I miss the UP sometimes. Gotta get back. Gotta get back.

('02 MTU Grad)
bno70_1

Postby elsievo » May 21st, 2008, 12:28 pm

Yes, the trail gnomes have been busy the past four years. Did a 13 mile ride the other night, 11.4 of it on single track with one 1/4 mile section doubled back . .. more trails to come.

All but one deadfall has been cleared, the Burly trail is still wet but the rest is open and ridable.
Marc
aka Mattockman
___
elsievo

Closest good ride to Houghton Lake

Postby dirtpo » May 22nd, 2008, 5:14 pm

Best bet from there, I think, is Hanson Hills, just west of Grayling. It's got some long climbs, but it's pretty non-technical -- a great beginner trail and a lot of fun if you let it rip.
Dirtpo

There is no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Sam Harris
dirtpo

Staying at Boyne Mtn for a week... local knowledge?

Postby thrasher » May 29th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Hi,

I'm vacationing from St. Louis at Boyne Mtn. all next week (6/1-6/7) and have been looking at the trails at the Mountain as well as the Shingle Mill Pathway.

I'm looking for advice on where I should go (or avoid). I'll be staying at the Boyne Mountain resort, but will be taking day trips over to Sleeping Bear, up to Mackinac/Mackinaw area, Petoskey, etc.

I'll be riding alone since my kids are small and wife doesn't ride. I'd love to do the whole High Country Pathway, but time will be a factor since I'll be sneaking in rides during the 'family' vacation :D

This is my first trip to Michigan... I normally take trips to Colorado and Utah every year, so this will be all new to me, but the terrain looks similar to the Ozark foothills at home.

I've ridden pretty much everything as far as difficulty and am an advanced XC rider (race Expert) so I don't think terrain or distance really limit me, just time and the fact I'll be alone.

Thanks in advance!

Craig
thrasher

Postby skierduderules » May 29th, 2008, 3:49 pm

The trails at Boyne Mountain are in great shape ( best I've seen in a couple years) and lots of fun. I've been there the past two weekends to ride. Off site check out the loop at Avalanche Mountain a few miles away in Boyne City - it's short but a great little ride and the family can hike to the top and meet you for a great view of Lake Charlevoix.
skierduderules

Wilderness Park

Postby naugabike » May 29th, 2008, 4:36 pm

I will be in Mackinaw City 6/9-15 for my Army Reunion. Beginner mountain biker. Looking at riding Wilderness Park (?) - for one reason is that perhaps I can ride over to the trails, ride singletrack, and back on streets/road (leave the car at the hotel).

Any information about trail conditions, other recommendations, etc would be appeciated. Decided to do the Spring Bike Tour on the 14th.
TrailsHaveOurRespect.org
naugabike

Postby thrasher » May 30th, 2008, 10:15 am

skierduderules wrote:The trails at Boyne Mountain are in great shape ( best I've seen in a couple years) and lots of fun. I've been there the past two weekends to ride. Off site check out the loop at Avalanche Mountain a few miles away in Boyne City - it's short but a great little ride and the family can hike to the top and meet you for a great view of Lake Charlevoix.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely check out the Avalance Mtn Loop as well.

Any advice on which bike I should bring?

29" Singlespeed
29" Soft-tail geared
26" Full-suspension geared (only really ride this in Colorado/Utah now)

Right now, I'm planning on the SS for the simplicity of it... it's what I ride/race most here.
thrasher

Re: Ogemaw Info

Postby dauber76 » May 30th, 2008, 11:06 am

NovaraAspen wrote:How does Ogemaw compare to Addison, Stony or Pontiac Lake?

I am thinking about riding there on my honeymoon, but I want to make sure that the finance can handle it...he is a begineer.

EDIT: I just found some more great info in the General Section. I am still looking for some comparision though of Ogemaw, Hanson and Hartwick to the local routes at AO, SC and PL.

Go to Hanson Hills, it is one of the best singletrack trails in the state. It can be physically challenging because of the repeated hills, but if he can ride Pontiac, Stony, or Addison, he will be fine.
Hartwick Pines is setup more for XC skiing so wider, straighter paths are the story there. I believe you can lump Ogemaw Hills in that category as well.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Re: Ogemaw Info

Postby mdkuni » May 30th, 2008, 12:19 pm

NovaraAspen wrote:How does Ogemaw compare to Addison, Stony or Pontiac Lake?

My favorite local loop is Lost Twin Lakes in Houghton Lake. It is 3.1 miles long. It is rooty but you can avoid alot of them if you pay attention. The trail comes in and makes a circle. Go left at the circle entrance I think it is more fun that way.

The trail is about 5-10 miles down Reserve road off of M-55.
mdkuni

Ogemaw Hills

Postby winie » May 30th, 2008, 12:38 pm

I used to live downstate and have since moved up near west branch. ogemaw hills is one of my favorite trail systems. It has a great variety of terrain, good for beginners or more advanced riders. Have rode all trails you mentioned, probably not as technical as Pontiac or the single track at Stoney Creek, but still really good stuff. I want to try the new trails added at Hanson Hills (near the area). Have heard good things about it.
winie

Postby ForgetfulJones » June 12th, 2008, 9:34 am

Anyone know how the conditions are in the keweenaw peninsula area?

thanks
ForgetfulJones

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions