Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Question from newcomer

Postby djrep25 » June 2nd, 2008, 10:02 pm

Just getting started in mountain biking and rode Hewens Creek this afternoon. Had a good ride, but was wondering about time. How long should it take a decent rider under good conditions to get around the trails?

Also, are there other trails around me (I live in Ypsi Twp) that I should visit?

Thanks for your help
djrep25

Postby Green_Canoe2 » June 5th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Djrep25,

I don't know if I'm a good rider or not, I'm very middle of the pack in the Ore to Shore race in both my age group and the entire field of riders. I'll ride the entire Hewen's trail on my SS in about 35-40 minutes depending on the weather and how I feel that day.

Ian
Green_Canoe2

Re: Question from newcomer

Postby lucasfoster80 » June 8th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Maybury and Island Lake are GREAT trails!
lucasfoster80

Postby bhollen666 » June 15th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Rode through this morning and found that the trail is closing in again. Both the central and eastern loops could use mowing and lopping again. There were a couple of small trees down blocking the trail but I got them out of the way to open it up again. The second wooded section is a little wet and muddy, but the rest is in great shape. :twisted:
bhollen666

Great new additions

Postby missionchips » June 22nd, 2008, 2:21 pm

I rode Hewens yesterday for the first time in about a year and it was great to see the new added section. It appears that the trail has grown by about 1/3.

As everyone always says on here, it's starting to overgrow. It's almost impossible to keep up with it unless someone has tons of time to constantly maintain it.

Thanks a ton to those who have spear-headed the new addition. Also, love the log piles!
missionchips

Good ride

Postby JustinFenwickNet » June 26th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Rode the trail today, after the rain, and was happy with how not terribly wet it was. The east half is getting pretty overgrown in but it makes for a decent dodge game.

I love the new addition near the front.
Justin Fenwick
JustinFenwickNet

6/27

Postby missionchips » June 27th, 2008, 3:27 pm

6/27 - Rode the trail today and there is a large tree down in the open area near where the trail actually starts once inside the park, past the pond. I could not muster up enough man-power by myself.

Also, all areas, including the new wooded area, are overgrown again. It's tough to keep up with the growth!
missionchips

Postby bill_m » June 27th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Well, we had a riding mower donated to us and Bob Hollen was doing a great job of keeping things trimmed and mowed. Then, some (probably) locals cut the lock and dragged it all the way to the parking lot. The skid marks showed where they took it. Bob filed a police report. Keep an eye out for a Craftsman mower that is missing its hood/front cover. It had Poto Chapter MMBA stickers on in. Thank you whoever you are.

I have a second riding mower lined up. We just need to prevent another theft. One of our local guys has offered to weld a chain on it to help with locking, but it would be excellent if someone lives close enough that can store it and we can drive it over for mowing. Otherwise, we need ideas on how to make mower #2 theft proof. Then we can have a nicely kept trail.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby bhollen666 » July 13th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Rode through some of it today to check it out. It's really overgrown in spots. I think that we need to hold a trail day soon to get it cleaned up again. If anybody is available to help drop me a line. :twisted:
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » July 18th, 2008, 5:47 pm

Trail day tomorrow (Sat 19-Jul) to try to get it back into good shape. Showing up at 0800. If you have some time head on down with maybe loppers, pruners, or rakes and let's open it back up and rake the trail clean. Hope to see you there. :twisted:
bhollen666

Postby cbur1650 » August 12th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Help

Hewens creek is not rideable at all. The wooded sections are OK, but all of the field sections are completly over ground. I rode it on Aug 11. I know that the mower is "missing", but it really needs some serious help. The tall weeds have over come the trail and have fallen in on it. Just mowing will help, but will not be enough. A few dozen ninjas would be nice.

A long shot
I found a nice pocket knife on the trail by the pond. It is probably not a biker, but rather a fisherman. If it is yours let me know.

I might be able to get some mowing in this week. PM me if you can help. I have very flexible hours.

Chris
I love my Kona
cbur1650

Postby bodomaniac » August 13th, 2008, 1:50 pm

cbur1650 wrote:Help
Hewens creek is not rideable at all. The wooded sections are OK, but all of the field sections are completly over ground. I rode it on Aug 11. I know that the mower is "missing", but it really needs some serious help. The tall weeds have over come the trail and have fallen in on it. Just mowing will help, but will not be enough. A few dozen ninjas would be nice.

Continued mowing, though helpful, isn't the answer for Hewen's. Consistent ridership is. Until you get that the trail may as well be non-existent as you'll be contending with the same issues year after year.
Finishing second or almost winning are varying degrees of worst than first.
bodomaniac

Postby grnd93 » August 14th, 2008, 4:53 pm

I rode most of it yesterday. Yes, the open areas are very overgrown, but I say if you can still see where the trail goes, then ride it. The more people that go out there the better off it will be. P.M. me if there are any trail days that come up.
grnd93

Postby dnale » August 18th, 2008, 8:08 am

I've been thinking of heading out there with my bike. Are the thorns still an issue?
dnale

Postby grnd93 » August 18th, 2008, 3:29 pm

i didn't really encounter any thorns, but my legs got scratched up a bit. I'd reccommend knickers if you have them.
grnd93

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions