Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby MrSingleTrack » March 10th, 2009, 12:33 pm

[quote="Bigtymer"]Thanks bro!!! Finally some who will actually cares about the trails!! I wasn't trying to be an ass to the other guys. Like you, Im just trying to preserve a trail Ive been riding for 15 years.. Thanks for backing me up!![/quote]

15 years! I've been RUINING THE TRAIL for 15 years. Now I know why it keeps recovering! Curses to your caring for magically healing my diabolical (and completely devoid of caring) destruction!
MrSingleTrack

Postby tstorm » March 10th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Every year it's the same back and forth cr@p! Just use common sense and don't ride your bike on the trail when it's really muddy. Even in May you can damage a trail... maybe not a sandy trail like Yankee but you get my point. A lot of the time when the temps dip down into the 20's at night you can get in a early morning trail ride in March. The ground is frozen like cement and there is no "damage" riding the trail. Once the sun comes up and the temps rise don't ride in the mud... it's that simple. Who want's to trash a bike in a lot of mud anyway?
tstorm

Postby deuce » March 11th, 2009, 7:10 am

I wonder which is worse... A few "anxious" riders early that may leave a rut in a soft hole that is either yet to completely thaw or dry. Or, everybody that rides this trail say from mid june through august that trys to ride the edge of the sand and damages what little root base exists from grasses and other vegitation. You all know you do it.. I never see tire tracks on this trail right through the middle of the sand pits. They are always on the edge... I am not riding this trail right now, so don't flame me. simply wondering out loud.
deuce

Postby sworks88 » March 12th, 2009, 12:14 pm

I said that I WANT to ride....if I drove out there and the trail was unrideable.....you would not see my tracks out there. I know this trail is a fast drainer.......and super sandy....but I am not stupid. I trust the judgement of Ried and Doug....if they say the trail is not rideable....I will not waste my time. As anxious as I am....with a trail 5 minutes from my house.....I have not even been out there to check because I know the trails are too wet. Ready to ride....yes. Destroying the trail....Not hardly. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.....and their beliefs. However.....stating that WE are the ones who destroy the trail this early in the year is just osburd. I am sure there are people out there that could give a rip about the trail......like the ones that Ried saw. For the record....at a trail day last year I wanted to smash a few riders off of their bikes because they came riding thru STANDING water.....about 4" deep. We had just build a land bridge and they plowed right thru it....leaving 3 ruts. We fixed it and moved on. Take it easy with the accusations....we care about the trails too........we are anxious to ride....but we know better.

Lets just be happy that we are WEEKS away from full time riding instead of months.....
sworks88

Postby Bigtymer » March 12th, 2009, 6:27 pm

That's tremendous sworks88! I'll leave you, and the rest of the spandex warriors to talk amongst yourselves.
Bigtymer

Postby sworks88 » March 12th, 2009, 9:00 pm

[quote="Bigtymer"]That's tremendous sworks88! I'll leave you, and the rest of the spandex warriors to talk amongst yourselves.[/quote]

What the f is your problem?

Please try to keep this thread on the topic of the trail conditions at Yankee Springs.
Last edited by sworks88 on March 13th, 2009, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
sworks88

Postby Bigtymer » March 12th, 2009, 9:09 pm

you're right we probably should swear at each other and then delete the posting. lets stick to the conditions
Bigtymer

Postby grmtnbkr » March 13th, 2009, 2:29 pm

It looks like i may be stumbling into a hornets nest here but, isnt it still cold enough at night to keep the surface frozen for the most part(while it still does get well below freezing at night). at least till midday or so. and since yankee has a ton of sand. and no im not trying to justifty trying it, it makes sense to me.
I ride the trail as often or more as the rest of you, so i do have a vested interest in keeping the trail ridable and sustainable.
grmtnbkr

Postby wifevsbike_bikewins » March 13th, 2009, 8:20 pm

Hard to say with this trail. We received a lot of rain this week but the trail generally drains well.

If you do go out, please post the conditions you find. I know several of us are eager to get out, providing the trail is rideable. Wost case you could print out a map and jump on a service road and go for a ride. Looks like it would still be enjoyable considering the weather conditions.

Good luck!
wifevsbike_bikewins

Postby grmtnbkr » March 13th, 2009, 11:48 pm

[quote="wifevsbike_bikewins"]Hard to say with this trail. We received a lot of rain this week but the trail generally drains well.

If you do go out, please post the conditions you find. I know several of us are eager to get out, providing the trail is rideable. Wost case you could print out a map and jump on a service road and go for a ride. Looks like it would still be enjoyable considering the weather conditions.

Good luck![/quote]

thanks, thats probably what ill do. either way it will be a good day to ride trail or dirt road. as long as im riding
will post conditions if i check it out
grmtnbkr

Postby ReidRules18 » March 14th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Got out there this morning for what I consider the first real ride this year. The trail was in perfect condition! Kudos to whoever was out there and removed a number of the down trees someone was hard at work and your effects are appreciated. I did notice the big uphill A frame near the 5.5 cutoff was removed. What was the reasoning behind that if anyone knows?

With that being said, I would still recommend trying to ride in the morning hours when the trail is still firm. Towards the end of my ride there was slight moisture building up from the sun shining on the trail, however I didn't see any mud and there was only one 10 foot section of ice in the first half mile of the big loop. I am not sure how the conditions are going to be with 50 some degree weather mid-day.

Felt so good to get a ride in! I did notice a ton of other riders and I am curious if any of them post on the conditions they experienced later in the day.
ReidRules18

Postby wifevsbike_bikewins » March 14th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Thanks for the update Reid! That is great news.

If I get out in the morning, I will post an additional update.
wifevsbike_bikewins

Postby venletje » March 15th, 2009, 7:42 am

Saturday morning the trail was in great shape! All clear and nice and firm. We got there way early (on the trail just after 8 AM) so there were no worries.

Now if only I were in as good of shape as the trail was...I forgot how fricken hard Yankee is:)
venletje

Postby grmtnbkr » March 15th, 2009, 10:41 am

[quote="ReidRules18"]Kudos to whoever was out there and removed a number of the down trees someone was hard at work and your effects are appreciated. I did notice the big uphill A frame near the 5.5 cutoff was removed. What was the reasoning behind that if anyone knows?[/quote]

i hit the trail about noon with quite a few people. somehow even managed to pass a dozen hikers and bikers. the first half was still solid when i started. but towards the end i could tell it was starting to thaw. So starting to get muddy by noon. I would recommend trying to finish by this time. lots of leaves on much of trail surface helped.
as for the A frame it was starting to fall apart. hopefully it can be replaced with something similar. either the dnr took it down for safety, or some racers didnt want to have to slow down for it. and no i dont have anything against racers, i live for the now VERY FEW technical spots and sections. There were at least a dozen other cars in the lot with us.
Please try to stay off the trail after noon. it gets soft and soggy quickly
And if not the DNR thanks to whoever cut all those downed trees an branches.
anyone know why i seem to be having problems posting pics
grmtnbkr

Postby RickPlite » March 15th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Tim Curtis, the Western Chapter/Yankee Trail Coordinator has already put in over 11 hours of trail work in since the thaw (he is the one responsible for the tree removal) along with one other anonymous trail worker. Dale?
RickPlite

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions