Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby sworks88 » March 15th, 2009, 8:15 pm

Thanks Tim. You rock!
sworks88

Postby mverona » March 18th, 2009, 11:29 am

Trails were hot yesterday. Little bit soft in just a few places.
mverona

Postby Seppuku18 » March 20th, 2009, 7:49 pm

I was thinking about heading out to Yankee tomorrow (Saturday) but I won't be able to show up until 3-3:30. It looks to be about a 2 hour drive for me and I don't want to show up to find I can't ride. I've read that it's good to go on one board and it kinda sounds like it here too but I just want to make sure. Suggestions kids?
Seppuku18

Postby stros » March 20th, 2009, 8:45 pm

I was out at the trail today at about 2:30, About 44* out. I didn't know what to expect but I was satisfied. There was about 10 cars in the lot when I showed up.

Rode the 2 mile loop, Was in great condition except 1 spot next to a little swampy/pond area there was about 8" deep of mud with 2 solid tracks from people riding through it.

The other part was in great condition, there was only a handful of spots that had a little bit of "surface mud" only about 1" deep just have to keep your eyes out.

No trees are blocking any part of the path but the leafs are bad in some spots so you might lose the trail if your not paying attention.

Other then the chill it was a great ride!
stros

Postby ReidRules18 » March 20th, 2009, 9:08 pm

I was out today as well just before the poster above around 1:30 ish. As he mentioned the only section that was sketchy was on the warm up loop at about 1.5 miles in right after the "caution" downhill section. Make sure the ride the tire track section right through the middle of the soft area.

Other than that the trail is in great shape and I plan on going out tomorrow. I did notice about 10 vehicles in the parking lot and it was for a good reason, the trail was in great shape! If anyone saw me out there, I was the SUV with the kayak on top for further reference.

Yankee is one heck of a trail, the best thing you can do to is to get out and ride it when it's the best trail around that can take mountain bikers at this time. Plus the trail rocks to begin with!
ReidRules18

Postby RickPlite » March 20th, 2009, 9:20 pm

it will be good to go anytime tomorrow, as dry as late fall.

Rick
RickPlite

Postby Seppuku18 » March 20th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Awesome. Thanks guys. Really looking forward to checking this place out.
Seppuku18

Postby mtb.andy » March 21st, 2009, 10:24 am

How did the bit of snow affect the trail? Still good?
mtb.andy

Postby SteveF » March 21st, 2009, 8:23 pm

[quote="mtb.andy"]How did the bit of snow affect the trail? Still good?[/quote]

I went around 2:30 and it was pretty good. 3-4 muddy spots and some sand of course. I don't think there was enough snow to even notice. It was GREAT to hit the trail again!
SteveF

Postby mtb.andy » March 22nd, 2009, 7:03 am

I ended up going around 4:00 yesterday. I did not ride the warm up. The rest of the trail was great. A few softer spots but mostly hard packed. Few usual sand spots too but overall a great ride.

Just a side note. There were about 10 cars in the lot and I watched a DNR officer write tickets for about 7 of them when I was getting ready to ride. Make sure to pay.
mtb.andy

Postby SteveF » March 22nd, 2009, 8:33 pm

[quote="mtb.andy"]I ended up going around 4:00 yesterday. I did not ride the warm up. The rest of the trail was great. A few softer spots but mostly hard packed. Few usual sand spots too but overall a great ride.

Just a side note. There were about 10 cars in the lot and I watched a DNR officer write tickets for about 7 of them when I was getting ready to ride. Make sure to pay.[/quote]

I had such a great time there yesterday I went again today--the trail was in notably better condition--the wet spots were merely damp or dried up completely. I did two laps and hurt my knee but it was worth it! ("worth it"-ness may be rescinded if knee does not heal up quickly!)
SteveF

Postby Scotty » March 23rd, 2009, 8:57 am

mtb.andy wrote:Just a side note. There were about 10 cars in the lot and I watched a DNR officer write tickets for about 7 of them when I was getting ready to ride. Make sure to pay.

Ha! I was there yesterday (3/22). I totally forgot that I didn't have a new window sticker. When I got in my truck to go home I noticed the "ticket."

Since there's no place to purchase a sticker at Yankee in March, I imagine that an awful lot of people are getting ticketed. Seems ridiculous that they have someone patroling the park looking for stickerless cars, when they could have someone at the gate selling the stickers!

I'll be happy when the proposed license plate user fee is passed. It'll be less hassle. I will miss watching the row of stickers grow each year on my windshield. I have a row on the left side for Wisconsin parks too.
Scotty

Postby SteveF » March 23rd, 2009, 9:01 am

Scotty wrote:
mtb.andy wrote:Just a side note. There were about 10 cars in the lot and I watched a DNR officer write tickets for about 7 of them when I was getting ready to ride. Make sure to pay.

Ha! I was there yesterday (3/22). I totally forgot that I didn't have a new window sticker. When I got in my truck to go home I noticed the "ticket."

Since there's no place to purchase a sticker at Yankee in March, I imagine that an awful lot of people are getting ticketed. Seems ridiculous that they have someone patroling the park looking for stickerless cars, when they could have someone at the gate selling the stickers!

I'll be happy when the proposed license plate user fee is passed. It'll be less hassle. I will miss watching the row of stickers grow each year on my windshield. I have a row on the left side for Wisconsin parks too.

They had the self-registration thing set up (with signs albeit small, hand-made ones) at the shack but that's a minor pain to deal with. I scored mine in December so no worries!
SteveF

Postby Scotty » March 23rd, 2009, 9:34 am

SteveF wrote:
They had the self-registration thing set up (with signs albeit small, hand-made ones) at the shack but that's a minor pain to deal with. I scored mine in December so no worries!

How do you self register for an annual sticker? Do the envelopes now include that option, like the tickets do? (where the State mails you your sticker)
Scotty

Postby SteveF » March 23rd, 2009, 9:43 am

Scotty wrote:
SteveF wrote:

How do you self register for an annual sticker? Do the envelopes now include that option, like the tickets do? (where the State mails you your sticker)

You put your money in the envelope with the completed form and there's a tear off that goes on your dashboard for that day--they mail your annual pass to you. So, pretty much like a ticket, yeah. I like handing my money to one of our friends in green myself and getting the sticker directly but I've used the self-registration a couple of times and it's been fine. Usually get the sticker within a week.
SteveF

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions