Northern: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Ogemaw Info

Postby mdkuni » May 30th, 2008, 12:19 pm

NovaraAspen wrote:How does Ogemaw compare to Addison, Stony or Pontiac Lake?

I am thinking about riding there on my honeymoon, but I want to make sure that the finance can handle it...he is a begineer.

Does anyone recommend any other trails near Prudenville / Houghten Lake area?

Any info would be appreciated.

EDIT: I just found some more great info in the General Section. I am still looking for some comparision though of Ogemaw, Hanson and Hartwick to the local routes at AO, SC and PL.

My favorite local loop is Lost Twin Lakes in Houghton Lake. It is 3.1 miles long. It is rooty but you can avoid alot of them if you pay attention. The trail comes in and makes a circle. Go left at the circle entrance I think it is more fun that way.

The trail is about 5-10 miles down Reserve road off of M-55.
mdkuni

Ogemaw Hills

Postby winie » May 30th, 2008, 12:38 pm

I used to live downstate and have since moved up near west branch. ogemaw hills is one of my favorite trail systems. It has a great variety of terrain, good for beginners or more advanced riders. Have rode all trails you mentioned, probably not as technical as Pontiac or the single track at Stoney Creek, but still really good stuff. I want to try the new trails added at Hanson Hills (near the area). Have heard good things about it.
winie

Postby ForgetfulJones » June 12th, 2008, 9:34 am

Anyone know how the conditions are in the keweenaw peninsula area?

thanks
ForgetfulJones

Postby PK » June 15th, 2008, 5:58 am

How does VASA do after heavy rain?
According to the weather, TC got 2.3" after Midnight. I can ride Sunday, the 15th & or Monday, the 16th. should I wait for Monday????
Thanks,
Pete.
PK

Postby MudShine » June 15th, 2008, 10:27 am

It typically does really well... sometimes it is better after some rain. The sandy soil sticks together creating much nicer riding conditions. I'm going to try it later today.
Don't look back, something may be gaining on you.
Northern MMBA cat wrangler & secretary
MudShine

Postby PK » June 15th, 2008, 1:44 pm

You're right! My first lap was @ 8:45am.
It was fast!
Only the new section was greasy enough to slow you down.
On my second lap, the trail was a bit slower because the sand was drying out, although I rode a bit faster than that first warm-up lap due to the thunder I heard!
Pete.
PK

Postby Bcar » June 23rd, 2008, 8:30 am

Rode it yesterday (or the first time in fact) on Sun 6/22. Trail is in great shape, no trees down, a little dry but not too sandy. It was a really nice flowing trail, with some super tight twisty sections, I liked it! As did the GF, even though she ate it once :)
Bcar

Fallen tree on marker 1

Postby JMc » June 29th, 2008, 8:56 am

As most people have noticed, a tree has fallen this spring in middle of the first stage of the VASA single-track. This tree has now been removed and debris cleared from the trail as of today.

*Stage 16 had a very tight spot where two small trees were very close to each other; one of these trees has been cut, opening the section a few more inches to encourage less breaking:)
JMc

Postby johnnyg » July 3rd, 2008, 11:14 am

I rode Bruno's Run on Wednesday (06/25) and Saturday (06/28) and it is in great shape.
John Gonway-- insert signature here
johnnyg

Postby mysphyt » July 11th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Rode 3 days at Boyne Mountain this weekend. Trails are in good shape with the power cuts and fields mowed and dry/fast conditions. Some deep sandy spots. Recent remark of trails keeps you on track, new 1.5 miles of trail at 4 mile mark is a good addition. Bridge at 5 mile mark was missing a few planks but I believe this has been fixed.
mysphyt

Postby bringjustn » August 8th, 2008, 10:31 am

any word about the conditions of the trails near oscoda?
bringjustn

Postby sngltrack » August 9th, 2008, 2:19 pm

For what it's worth, the lumping of all these northern trails into one thread is not very helpful in trying to figure out where to ride. Also, the trail descriptions on the northern trails leave a little to be desired. Example: VASA - Ride counterclockwise. Really useless. Are you trying to keep those trails up there a secret? :wink:
'Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.' -Better Off Dead
sngltrack

Postby largemelon » August 18th, 2008, 11:31 am

I rode Boyne Mountain on the 10th and was not that impressed. There are signs EVERYWHERE for this and that but couldn't find one for the trailhead. I asked and found out they are behind the tennis courts. Not much of a trailhead if you ask me. It appears that someone has ripped some of the trail markers down because I started out on Blue, ended up on Red after what I thought was the Blue trail, and couldn't get back on Blue again. In addition, the biking atmosphere just isn't there with all of the soccer family minivans dominating the territory. I give the trail low marks overall.
largemelon

Postby largemelon » August 18th, 2008, 11:40 am

Bruno's Run was a nice ride on the 11th. The lake views are outstanding although the trails near the lakeshore have some serious roots to overcome. All in all, however, a great U.P. trail.
largemelon

Postby jalopy jockey » August 18th, 2008, 11:48 am

largemelon wrote:I rode Boyne Mountain on the 10th and was not that impressed. There are signs EVERYWHERE for this and that but couldn't find one for the trailhead. I asked and found out they are behind the tennis courts. Not much of a trailhead if you ask me. It appears that someone has ripped some of the trail markers down because I started out on Blue, ended up on Red after what I thought was the Blue trail, and couldn't get back on Blue again. In addition, the biking atmosphere just isn't there with all of the soccer family minivans dominating the territory. I give the trail low marks overall.

So you give a trail low marks for not being able to navigate. It flows well and you obviously made it out. couldn't be too bad. Or else you post would be titled posing from I phone HELP stuck at Boyne Mountain.

Does it really matter if your on red or blue trail if you don't know which one is which anyways they are both killer trails and share about half the length. There are few decion points to stay on the trails you can go right for red/blue, or left for the other but in the end you are on red and Blue a half mile later.

And funny I have more trouble with old guys in golf carts than than mad moms in a minivan, and why would you expect one of teh few freethings at a ski resort to be will signed. You just follow the signs for XC sking.

I agree though it needs more of a trailhead an outhouse would be nice. aside from that it has parking and a trash can what more do you need?
jalopy jockey

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions