Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » April 24th, 2009, 9:29 am

I'd like to say a few things about this new section. First, hats off to the workers and the trail coordinator. I rode the rocks when they first went in and it was fun. Now, they are roped off. That's OK, because listening to Cramer, I can envision an armored section similar to Fort Custer's big dip near the end of Amusement Park section. It'll be great.
Having said that, I hear people talking about taking beginners out on CSGA. Bad idea. It's an intermediate trail and I speak from experience: beginners have a hard time on that trail. It used to be the best place to take them near Grand Rapids, as the Ski Area and Robinette's are both harder. But, now we have the blue trail at Luton Park. Take the beginners over there, please. They'll thank you for it.
The corners are tight, the hills fairly big, the sand is deep and the roots can jump out at you. Having a rock garden will not make this trail any harder than it already is and it'll just make it different.
2WheeledWarrior

Postby Slimm » April 24th, 2009, 11:26 am

I agree with your comment about the Luton Blue loop. Excellent idea for a noob.

As far as the new section at the SGA, I had the pleasure of walking that with the TC last weekend. Once that section is complete it is going to be WAY more fun than it is currently. The re-route envolves more than just the roots and sand pit. Really, it will be a whole new longer section of trail with an awesome rock feature and nice climbing switchback.
Last edited by Slimm on April 25th, 2009, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slimm

Postby printenv » April 24th, 2009, 11:33 am

I will second that it is hard for beginners. My wife never mountain biked before and struggled to get through the first two sections. She is yet to be sold on the whole thing based off that experience. Oh, and each time (3 times) she crashed out there. It is tough, I think next time I will take her to Luton instead and see if that helps (thanks for pointing that out).
printenv

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » April 24th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Printenv,
What's even better for beginners than Luton Park's blue loop is Bass River. My wife LOVES that trail. It's nice and flat. Plus, with all the turns and stuff, it gets harder as you go faster, so it's not boring for the advanced riders, either.
2WheeledWarrior

Postby printenv » April 24th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion 2WheeledWarrior. I hadn't thought about Bass Creek, but that is a great idea!
printenv

Postby Slimm » April 25th, 2009, 1:20 pm

got in a couple laps today right before the rain.

saw some evidence of horse traffic on the second section. bad news
Slimm

Postby TrailBomber88 » April 25th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Cannonsburg SGA is hard on the body, I don't care who you are it's not the smoothest trail around. So I wouldn't tell anyone that it's an easy trail. It seems like everytime I go out, there is something new that pops out of the ground and gets you sideways. But this is one of the reasons I like it so much.

Most of Luton park is nice and smooth, even the red loop. But if your not in shape or up for a challenge it could be a turn off to new riders. Blue is great for newbies and the green too.
TrailBomber88

Postby mmba4042 » April 28th, 2009, 7:21 am

Has anyone ridden at C-SGA since the weekend/Monday rains? If so, is it real muddy? (Not sure how much rain GR got, but we got lots along the lakeshore).
mmba4042

Postby RickPlite » April 28th, 2009, 7:55 am

I would recommend staying away from the Game Area for another day or two. Ski Hill is great though!
RickPlite

Postby RickPlite » April 30th, 2009, 7:19 pm

4-30-09 to 5-3-09 Please avoid due to heavy rain
RickPlite

Postby dh1 » May 6th, 2009, 9:38 pm

I got a ride in this evening, finishing just as the rain arrived. The trail is in good shape, save for a couple of mud pits that are seriously forked up.

There are at least 2 if not 3 distinct sections of the trail that haven't drained from the recent rains.
dh1

Postby killercarbon98 » May 8th, 2009, 6:44 am

GSGA Trail Work Saturday MAY 16th 9:00 AM main trail head. We need a good turn out on the one. Please come out for the day, for an hour, what ever time you can donate will be a huge help as we prep our Heritage Trail for the upcoming MidWest Mountain Bike Summit! As always lunch will be provided. Bring gloves and H2O.
Thanks in advance!
Chris
killercarbon98

Postby ReidRules18 » May 11th, 2009, 11:00 am

Went out there yesterday and theres quite a bit of horse sh** out there. I doubt they are staying off the trails, every section had crap on it.

Other than that the armored rock section at the end of a decent looks friggen sweet! I can't wait to ride it.
ReidRules18

Postby killercarbon98 » May 12th, 2009, 7:35 am

***GAME AREA TRAIL DAY THIS SAT!*****

CAN ANYONE HELP??? Trail in desperate need.

9 AM Main Parking Lot, Lunch Provided! Bring Gloves and H2O.

Thanks,

Chris
killercarbon98

Postby Scotty » May 25th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Heard today that there were 4 horses on the trail today. Hope the new reroutes are OK.
Scotty

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions