A Disappointing Commentary on LJ100 Sellout

All forms of off road bicycle racing and competition MMBA CPS race info

A Disappointing Commentary on LJ100 Sellout

Postby jajones » February 6th, 2010, 8:39 pm

I find this to be a disappointing commentary on the Lumberjack 100 sellout by someone who I would expect more from.

Old Joe wrote on MTBR:

The sellout frenzy was fueled in part by all the chatter on the mmba.org bb....a lot of weekend warriors and chodes want to jump on the endurance race bandwagon and don't really care about the full NUE series....the same thing happened about a year ago for the Iceman registration: the race sold out in nothing flat accompanied by a major server glitch which resulted in entries going from 1,500 to 4,000....

God forbid some lowly beg/sport/expert level rider who is not a seasoned endurance racer wants to try his/her hand at doing an endurance race and actually got off their azz in time to register.

So, this is what it has come to? Now, if you don't ride 10,000 miles a year, have a glossy team kit and have f-ing Burgess "Mickey" Meredith making you chase chickens and pound turkey bagel sandwiches -- you are apparently a "chode" or a "weekend warrior"?

Old man, I remember watching your scraggly medaled azz struggle to make some sandy hairpin turns in one of the first Lumberjacks as I rode by you. I kinda felt sorry for you as you crashed off the trail. You always seemed like such a kindly old soul and someone willing to help another. Not to mention I always looked up to your achievements. Now it turns out you are just another bitter old man. I know a lot of people are in your camp -- many who I consider friends -- and I'll surely be taking heat for this one (seems like old times). But, I just can't let this one go. You need to be encouraging the "weekend warrior" to try to reach and achieve, just like you have done. I thought this is what you always did. I guess I was wrong. You are just another old timer who is yelling at the kids to stay off his lawn.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
jajones

Re: A Disappointing Commentary on LJ100 Sellout

Postby mkirk » February 6th, 2010, 10:08 pm

well said! Thanks for defending all of us "Weekend Warriors."
Matt
mkirk

Postby clydeone » February 6th, 2010, 11:17 pm

I'd like to change my screen name to 'chode' :D

I don't get the anger? would I be disappointed - sure
But I would be angry at myself. Not blame others for my lack of action.
I am sympathetic to those who didn't have access to a computer or who thought traditional mail would work
2013 Trails - Brown County, Poto(Finally) Arcadia Dunes, Yankee, Custer, Andrews, TK Lawless, Bendix Woods, Rum Village, Love Creek
2013 Total Mileage - 4932
2013 Trail miles - 338 - pitiful
clydeone

Postby jajones » February 6th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Here's the thing -- if you are a pro/elite rider doing the NUE series and didn't get in, maybe you have a right to be disappointed, *beep* off, mad at the system, etc. But, take it up with the promoter (not that I think Rick did anything wrong). What? You are going to name call a bunch of people who simply responded to the promotion to sign up for a race? I mean, really, how dare THEY? Don't THEY know who WE are? It is laughable.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
jajones

Postby michiganclydesdale » February 6th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Anyone serious about doing the NUE series had a full 12 hours to login and register - no one that 'tried' got shut out, no excuses if it was an important event in your schedule. If you didn't place enough importance on the series, to register at the opening, your loss. If the rest of the chodes filled it up, I'm happy for them. I was a chode at LJ #1, and after finishing it, it sparked me to be a better rider for the last 5 years.

Disappointing commentary for sure. Aren't we all just riders who enjoy the opportunities in our own states and trails? I respect the heck out of the FFG's and the work they put in to be that way, but without us 'chodes', there'd be no race circuits to support our promoters.
N+1
michiganclydesdale

Postby peabody » February 7th, 2010, 1:25 am

jajones wrote:I find this to be a disappointing commentary on the Lumberjack 100 sellout by someone who I would expect more from.

Old Joe wrote on MTBR:

The sellout frenzy was fueled in part by all the chatter on the mmba.org bb....a lot of weekend warriors and chodes want to jump on the endurance race bandwagon and don't really care about the full NUE series....the same thing happened about a year ago for the Iceman registration: the race sold out in nothing flat accompanied by a major server glitch which resulted in entries going from 1,500 to 4,000....

quote]

why would you expect more? the only difference between "old joe" and god is that god doesn't think he is old joe.
peabody

Postby jajones » February 7th, 2010, 6:20 am

Jason Aric Jones, Chair
jajones

Postby jajones » February 7th, 2010, 6:29 am

Jason Aric Jones, Chair
jajones

Postby trevrev97 » February 7th, 2010, 8:17 am

Boy that is just adding fuel to my fire, I woke up early to reg, this is also going to be my first ever MTB race. Yeah and my only goal is to finish, but I also don't want to be last. I was thinking about giving up my entry too, but not after that *beep*.
trevrev97

Postby Ward » February 7th, 2010, 9:03 am

Alright Jason I'll give you props for starting a 10 page Iceman thread in the middle of winter, but come on Messr. JAJones, I think your digging on this one. :roll: Art was just stating an observation that a lot of local riders not interested in doing the full NES filled up the roster. Of course it was written in Art's own special way. :icon_scratch:
RIDING:
Specialized SWorks
Santana/Quiring Single Speed
KTM 250 XC-F
KTM 350 XC-F
Ward

Postby jajones » February 7th, 2010, 9:10 am

"local riders" = "weekend warriors" and "chodes"

Grandpa needs to take his cranky pills.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
jajones

Postby jonw9 » February 7th, 2010, 9:20 am

michiganclydesdale wrote:Anyone serious about doing the NUE series had a full 12 hours to login and register - no one that 'tried' got shut out, no excuses if it was an important event in your schedule. If you didn't place enough importance on the series, to register at the opening, your loss. If the rest of the chodes filled it up, I'm happy for them. I was a chode at LJ #1, and after finishing it, it sparked me to be a better rider for the last 5 years.

Disappointing commentary for sure. Aren't we all just riders who enjoy the opportunities in our own states and trails? I respect the heck out of the FFG's and the work they put in to be that way, but without us 'chodes', there'd be no race circuits to support our promoters.

No doubt. If I was doing NUE, and could only do four (of the 80 races, you can bet I would wake up early/ stay up late in order to register for those 4 races.

Additionally, if I was serious about the series, and I missed on event, I would try and rearrange my plans to attend a different race, not cry on a forum about "stupid local MTBers riding a local race"!

I don't even get the comment about riders in Michigan events, but nor do I care.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby BabyHuey » February 7th, 2010, 1:18 pm

This sounds completeley typical of this guy, but let's review what has lead to his belief that he is of the standing of "Legend". In 1996 he travelled to Australia and won a Masters World Championship in XC (his age group, whatever that was then). Yes, he is a World Champion. In 1997 and 1998 he returned to racing the local mtb Expert scene amongst the "chodes" in 50+ Expert and couldn't win. That's right, one year after an incredible victory he could not win locally in 1997. Two years ago he was diagnosed with DVT (blood clotting in the legs) while training for Leadville in Colorado. Typical of an arrogant person, he drove back home across the country to see his own physician with zero regard for what should happen if he were to pass out or have a heart attack and take out some innocent, unsuspecting motorists. BTW, DVT is linked to the possible abuse of EPO for those that may not know. He is in impressive shape for somebody his age, I would not discount that for a minute, but he loves to let everybody know just how great he believes he is too.

For Old Joe, I'll borrow a quote from your own signature on another board, "Be the person your dog already believes you are". Time to heed your own advice...
BabyHuey

Postby Blumrdude » February 7th, 2010, 2:20 pm

jajones wrote:"local riders" = "weekend warriors" and "chodes"

Grandpa needs to take his cranky pills.

My definitions:

Weekend warriors = riders with the latest and greatest, and most expensive gear, who ride once a week in the good weather for an hour or maybe two

Chodes = riders who enter a race that they are not prepared for, irrespective of their racing class if they do race, who do not know or understand the degree of difficulty of the race, and have little chance of a successful finish due to inadequate training, both physical and mental....

BTW, I was a "chode" in the 2005 Lumberjack....I had been off the bike for approximately six weeks due to work, and then only trained 3-4 hours for two weeks leading up to the race....I rode "on the edge" hence the crashing, I rode beyond my physical and mental limitations at the time, I allowed myself to dehyrate and run out of gas, and I experienced back spasms towards the end of the third lap: hence I quit....I thought my racing experience over the previous 15 years would allow me to get through the race and finish: wrong thinking....I've been regretting it ever since....I personally believe that the Lumberjack is a much harder physical race than the Leadville 100: the Lumberjack just beat me to death and never allowed me to rest....even thought the altitude at Leadville slows you down at least there are areas where you can let off the gas and recover: not so at Lumberjack....

As for my race resume, Baby-Face, you are way off the mark....you really have no clue
Blumrdude

Postby Krol_Franklin_E » February 8th, 2010, 3:22 pm

I thought a chode was a mountain biker who shaved his arms to reduce wind resistance.
Krol_Franklin_E

Next

Return to Racing