Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby RedGreen » June 24th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Heads up when you ride here, there's a nice size tree down across the trail within the first mile of the first section. It's hop-able, but only if you know what you're doing...
RedGreen

Postby gtrowbridge » June 24th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Cramer, will the trail work interfere with riding on saturday morning?
I have some people from out of town coming up and they were wanting to hit the SGA.
Let me know and if so we'll just plan to go somewhere else.
Thanks.

cramer wrote:Have you guys stopped and looked at the new armored section in the third section? That is going to be super cool when it's done, very solid! We have a trail work day scheduled this Saturday to work on that as well as some other things that need to be done. Here is what I posted to the volunteers section of the message board-
Trail work day at Cannonsburg State Game Area this Saturday, June 27th at 9:00 AM. Meet in the 4 mile parking lot. Lunch to be provided. Bring bug spray, water, and work gloves, other tools will be provided. In addition to regular trail work that needs to be done, we need about 5-6 people that are strong enough and willing to move rocks into place to build the new armored downhill in the 3rd section. Yeah, it will be some lifting but the reward is that you will learn how to properly armor a trail. The way this thing is being built, like the cobblestone roads in Rome, it just might be here a few hundred years after you leave this earth and you can be a part of building it... how cool is that?

gtrowbridge

Postby cramer » June 25th, 2009, 7:19 am

gtrowbridge wrote:Cramer, will the trail work interfere with riding on saturday morning?
I have some people from out of town coming up and they were wanting to hit the SGA.
Thanks.

cramer wrote:Have you guys stopped and looked at the new armored section in the third section? That is going to be super cool when it's done, very solid! We have a trail work day scheduled this Saturday to work on that as well as some other things that need to be done. Here is what I posted to the volunteers section of the message board-
Trail work day at Cannonsburg State Game Area this Saturday, June 27th at 9:00 AM. Meet in the 4 mile parking lot. Lunch to be provided. Bring bug spray, water, and work gloves, other tools will be provided. In addition to regular trail work that needs to be done, we need about 5-6 people that are strong enough and willing to move rocks into place to build the new armored downhill in the 3rd section. Yeah, it will be some lifting but the reward is that you will learn how to properly armor a trail. The way this thing is being built, like the cobblestone roads in Rome, it just might be here a few hundred years after you leave this earth and you can be a part of building it... how cool is that?

No, it won't interfere with riding at all. Just be sure to shout out some encouragement to the volunteers when you see them!

Cramer
cramer

Postby gtrowbridge » June 25th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Maybe a few cold brews will magically appear as I ride by.

cramer wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:Cramer, will the trail work interfere with riding on saturday morning?
Thanks.

No, it won't interfere with riding at all. Just be sure to shout out some encouragement to the volunteers when you see them!

Cramer
gtrowbridge

Postby trout_smith » June 25th, 2009, 4:44 pm

RedGreen wrote:Heads up when you ride here, there's a nice size tree down across the trail within the first mile of the first section. It's hop-able, but only if you know what you're doing...

I hopped it, and I haven't a clue what I am doing.
trout_smith

Postby RedGreen » June 25th, 2009, 8:41 pm

trout_smith wrote:
RedGreen wrote:Heads up when you ride here, there's a nice size tree down across the trail within the first mile of the first section. It's hop-able, but only if you know what you're doing...

I hopped it, and I haven't a clue what I am doing.

haha! touche!
RedGreen

Postby cramer » July 1st, 2009, 2:26 pm

Big thanks to everyone that showed up on Saturday to work on the trail! We realize how busy weekends are in the summer so your help was much appreciated.

Chris is going to be working more on building the cobblestone armored section at Cannonsburg State Game Area tonight at 5:00 and again Friday morning at 9:00 AM. Anyone that is free then and is willing to help please come out and lend a hand. This will be a pretty informal trail work day, no lunch served, just put in a couple of hours or whatever you can to help out. Park at the 3 mile parking lot and walk backward into the 3rd section 1/2 mile or so to the work area. Rocks were moved into place at the last trail day and now they need to be hammered into position to complete the new section of armoring. This will also be a good learning experience for any other TCs interested in doing similar work on other trails.
cramer

Postby kayakpete » July 1st, 2009, 9:12 pm

I tried to join Chris for the mini-work day today, but I was unable to figure out where to find him. I've only ridden the trail once.

So, I gave up and rode. THEN I found him! He had made a bit of progress on the cobblestones.

Unfortunately, he was just packing up for the evening. We had a nice chat, and I walked with him back to the car. It's good for me to start to learn about this trail management stuff.

I now appreciate a bit more what it takes to make and keep a trail GOOD. Thanks Chris, and all the other volunteers for their work on Cannosburg SGA! I look forward to lending a hand in the future.
kayakpete

Postby spwrozek » July 2nd, 2009, 6:59 am

Did you guys get much rain over on that side of the state? I am planing on riding the SGA and Ski Hill Tomorrow and wondering if it will be in good shape before I drive the 2 hours. Thanks.
spwrozek

Postby cramer » July 2nd, 2009, 7:14 am

spwrozek wrote:Did you guys get much rain over on that side of the state? I am planing on riding the SGA and Ski Hill Tomorrow and wondering if it will be in good shape before I drive the 2 hours. Thanks.

It rained but not THAT much. There will be a couple of mud holes in the usual places but I think it should be fine overall.
cramer

Postby spwrozek » July 3rd, 2009, 2:43 pm

Trail was awesome. My wife and I liked it a whole lot. We had a great time. Saw the guys working true to the word.

We thought it was kinda funny where the slow danger signs were at (not that dangerous).

Really good though, thanks for having such a great trail guys.
spwrozek

Postby wifevsbike_bikewins » July 8th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Bring your bug spray! Trail is in great shape but a llittle sandy as to be expected this time of year.
wifevsbike_bikewins

Postby kayakpete » July 8th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Yeah, no kidding - the mosquitoes are bonkers out there.

The cobblestone trail looks to be coming along nicely. Lots got done on Saturday!
kayakpete

Postby wifevsbike_bikewins » July 8th, 2009, 9:25 pm

kayakpete wrote:Yeah, no kidding - the mosquitoes are bonkers out there.

The cobblestone trail looks to be coming along nicely. Lots got done on Saturday!

I second the cobblestone. I was out assisting on Saturday. Boy do I have a new found respect for the volunteers that perform this work. Very tedious work to provide something that takes seconds to ride. We are lucky to have advocacy groups we have in Michigan that coordinate this work with the State and then make it happen.

THANK YOU!!!!
wifevsbike_bikewins

Postby cramer » July 9th, 2009, 7:45 am

spwrozek wrote:We thought it was kinda funny where the slow danger signs were at (not that dangerous).

Those signs were put up when that rocky section was first opened and people said that it seemed pretty dangerous. Shortly after that it was closed and the old (not dangerous) line was re-opened, yet the signs are still up so it seems funny. Since there is ongoing construction around that blind corner on a downhill, the warning from the signs may be useful to people until that project is done though.
cramer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions