Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Guppie » April 15th, 2008, 8:13 pm

duotone wrote:
Guppie wrote:I just rode it today and she's mint.

How do your times compare to last year? The re-routes make it slower or longer?

Tell us what you think first. Are you slower?

I've ridden twice and I think I'm slower. My Garmin data from last year was lost when I bought new laptop. I did mock TT race today. A few days ago I thought it was faster, but today, doing the mock race, it felt slower.

I'll try again Thursday morning.
Guppie

Postby duotone » April 15th, 2008, 9:55 pm

I wasn't serious.... > :wink:
It's not a bike, it's a message.

I'd rather ride my bike than operate it.

This is not a business, it's a hobby out of control
http://web.mac.com/tonyreidsma/Bike_Bui ... lcome.html
duotone

Postby billy1000 » April 16th, 2008, 10:16 am

Guppie wrote:
duotone wrote:
Guppie wrote:I just rode it today and she's mint.

How do your times compare to last year? The re-routes make it slower or longer?

Tell us what you think first. Are you slower?

I've ridden twice and I think I'm slower. My Garmin data from last year was lost when I bought new laptop. I did mock TT race today. A few days ago I thought it was faster, but today, doing the mock race, it felt slower.

I'll try again Thursday morning.

Guppie, are you saying YOU are slower or the COURSE is slower? I think the course is slower simply because they took out a couple fast sections and added some length with twisty slower sections. If I were to guess, maybe 30 seconds longer?? Thoughts?
billy1000

Postby Guppie » April 16th, 2008, 4:18 pm

I was thinking the course is slower and a tad longer as well, which could add to the time. I came in about 90 seconds slower than my best time last November. I gave her all she got on Tuesday to the point of almost passing out.

I was inquiring if other people thought it was slower to, thus meaning I'm not the slower one. :)

Disclaimer: Tuesday I rode the actual TT start to finish, where my best time last year was the normal trail (less the 2 mile warm up side).

I have one more HARD ride tomorrow before I enter active recovery for the race. I'll push it again and see if I can lose some of those 90 seconds. I know one area of improvement is reducing the amount of braking I do.

Also

WHY does the trail 'technically' start and end by the entrance to the park? Why doesn't it just start across from the staging area and end by the outhouse? I never understood that.
Guppie

Postby mtbyker » April 16th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Gup, I think it's just cuz it's early in the year. I have ridden about 10 laps there in the last week and a half and I would say that the winning time Sunday will be about 42 minutes, even with the re-routes. The re-routes only add about 300 yards to the course and the rest of the place is primo right now. And I am willing to bet that no matter how hard you went Tuesday you will go faster on Sunday.
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby billy1000 » April 17th, 2008, 5:31 am

I think then, that the 300 yards of twisty stuff would easily add 30 seconds to a "normal" guy like me. Doing the math (cuz thats what I do), 300 yards while averaging 4-1/2 minute miles would add 46 seconds. I know I am not doing a 4-1/2 minute mile pace through those new sections. Also, like mtbykr said, I think race day is good for another minute per hour (for me anyway). So tear-em up!!
billy1000

Postby Guppie » April 17th, 2008, 1:27 pm

I found my GPS data from last november.

The new trail has just under 1/4 of more ascent and descent. The new trail has a 1/4 mile of less flat terrain.

The trail distance went from 10.39 (November) to 10.34 now. This is based on GPS not a front wheel magnet.

Lap times should be consistent, maybe a tad longer with the more ascent. Sure there is more descent as well, but the additional climbing could cause you to be slower other places.

The TT course is 10.60 miles based on riding it today, assuming it's the same start/finish as last year.

My time today was 2 minutes faster than Tuesday. :) It's also 40 seconds faster than my best time ever (last november). Today's time was 4.25 minutes faster than last years TT time. :)
Guppie

Postby billy1000 » April 17th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Guppie wrote:I found my GPS data from last november.

The new trail has just under 1/4 of more ascent and descent. The new trail has a 1/4 mile of less flat terrain.

The trail distance went from 10.39 (November) to 10.34 now. This is based on GPS not a front wheel magnet.

Lap times should be consistent, maybe a tad longer with the more ascent. Sure there is more descent as well, but the additional climbing could cause you to be slower other places.

The TT course is 10.60 miles based on riding it today, assuming it's the same start/finish as last year.

My time today was 2 minutes faster than Tuesday. :) It's also 40 seconds faster than my best time ever (last november). Today's time was 4.25 minutes faster than last years TT time. :)

Thanks for the info Guppie. I would have thought the trail is a tad longer, but I guess not. Good luck Sunday, you should do a sub 53, huh? (I'm jealous you got to ride it today!)
billy1000

Postby sworks88 » May 1st, 2008, 6:45 am

Rode Yankee last night. The trail is worth every mile that I drive to get there. Sure there is sand...sure there are loose climbs.....but the trail rocks!

The DNR was doing a controlled burn near the first section (3 mile marker)....so be aware of that.
Redefining SLOW one agonizing pedal stroke at a time.

http://singletrackchronicles.blogspot.com/
sworks88

Postby sworks88 » May 14th, 2008, 8:43 am

With rain again....looks like Yankee will be in good shape. Hopefully we can continue the trend of rain every Wednesday early in the day. It makes the trail more fun when the sand is packed down. Anyone else going to be out there tonight??

sworks88

Postby paydirt_07 » May 14th, 2008, 8:54 am

sworks - A buddy and I rode it last night. It's getting sandy in a few spots, but over all it's in good shape. Like you said, this rain should settle things some. I had a good ride; just need to pick good lines. Have a good ride. 8)
paydirt_07

Postby sworks88 » May 15th, 2008, 4:00 am

The rain definetly helped with the sand. There was a tree down around the 8 mile mark....too big to ride over. Other than that the trail was good.

sworks88

Postby ReidRules18 » May 17th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Trail is in great shape. There is a tree down at just past mile 8 as Sworks mentioned.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

trail conditions

Postby Westside Clyde » May 22nd, 2008, 4:12 pm

The tree has been cleaned up, when I went thru today.
Westside Clyde

Postby donjoses » May 23rd, 2008, 12:44 pm

sworks88 wrote:Rode Yankee last night. The trail is worth every mile that I drive to get there. Sure there is sand...sure there are loose climbs.....but the trail rocks!

Ditto sworks88. Rode Yankee this morning and it is a great trail. Good enough that it was worth the drive from Bloomington, IN. Great job MMBA on building and maintaining the trail. Perfect. Gonna try to hit another trail on Sunday. Any suggestions, I'm staying in Kentwood for the weekend?

Thanks,
Brad
donjoses

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions