MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby froggyrider » April 14th, 2010, 9:43 am

We'll be riding there tomorrow after work as a matter of fact!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby mtbr.czar » April 14th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Rode the connector from loop 4 starting at Old Plank to Milford Road then back again through loop 4 to Childs Lake. The connector is in great shape except one 20 foot section between Old Plank and Hill that is quite muddy and is holding water do to four wheeler damage. This is a great trail if you are riding in Kensington or the Mildford trail and want to hit the rustic trails of Proud Lake.
mtbr.czar

Postby WICCMB » April 14th, 2010, 11:04 pm

I rode loops 1, 3 and 4 this evening - trail is definitely in great shape, although still very leafy. This trail needs riders!
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby froggyrider » April 15th, 2010, 10:39 pm

we tried- my Knee is not quite ready for the Loop of Pain, but our trek from Commerce/Hickory Glen parking lot to Proud Lake and some tooling around there was FUN! It was bumpy and a bit sandy on the two track leading out, so I was happy to have my 29r. It glided over the sand. I can't wait to go back!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » April 22nd, 2010, 8:30 pm

Loop of Pain is in fine shape- leafy which camouflages the HILLS! Hahaha, I made it up one in four. Frank did 2 on his SS and Dave T. did 3 (or 4, even!).

I had my first encounter with some horse riders (we were not on the same trail as they were, actually- we were passing by on the campground road while they were exiting a loop onto the campground road. They yelled at us and hurt my feelings. Oh, well, I rode it off! :P

I am so slow and feeble, but I love how Proud Lake kicks my sorry butt. I'll be back for more to try 4 of 4!!!
froggyrider

Postby Spinwheel » April 28th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Rode loop 3 and its good, hills, leaves and all (including the butt kicking :D )
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » May 7th, 2010, 6:23 am

Rode out to the Loop of Pain last night (this time I made it up two of those killer hills). A few face slappers here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. We'll be able to trim those on the Trail Day Saturday, May 15th.
froggyrider

Postby daffunda » May 7th, 2010, 6:38 am

For some reason, all equestrians around 40-60ish I have encountered at Proud Lake are unfriendly. Probably because they think that proud lake is a horse-only trail, when it is really not.

I think young people on horses are usually nice, the old gramps/granny type riding the horses without a helmet is the grumpy type you have to watch out for.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby ibisman » May 7th, 2010, 9:40 am

I carry a little air cannister powered horn for those grumpy 'ol men. Got into some at Highland once and they said " we did'nt know this was a mountain bike trail", and I said "maybe the fact your big ass horses won't fit between the trees would be a clue" and so they took a dump and tried to run us over so I hit the air horn and they vacated the area. :roll:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby froggyrider » May 7th, 2010, 10:57 am

Ibisman,

I am so happy that you are such an ambassador of good will. You really represent Mountain Bikers in a positive light. Keep up the good fight; if we had more folks like you behaving in the same way, we'd be able to make some real headway as far as cooperation with the equestrian groups!

Actually, I doubt you really said what you did, but I am sure you remember it that way, so at least the spirit was there.
froggyrider

Postby daffunda » May 7th, 2010, 11:52 am

Some arguments:

I am in control of my bike. It is a mechanical device that is NOT LIVING and that DOES NOT have its own will. Are you in control of your horse, which is LIVING, and has its own will? :roll:

In regards to tearing up the trail, equestrians claim that MTBkers tear up the trail. How can a horse, which weighs 2000lbs, tear up a trail LESS than a mountain biker who weighs 200 lbs? :roll: last time I checked, I don't take dumps on the trail every 500 ft either.

"Horses are skittish creatures, and they think you're a monster if you don't dismount your bike!!!"

True, just to be respectful, MTBkers should stop, dismount, and walk past them, and ANNOUNCE that you are human, because they will think you're a monster.

But...

1. If your horse is that skittish, don't ride it.
2. If you really want to ride it, go to a equestrian dedicated trail.
3. Wear a helmet, and not some wannabe cowboy hat. (Young people I've seen wear a helmet when riding horses....)

If you don't want to do any of this, then LEARN TO GET ALONG!!!!

As much as I hate to post this, I almost want to say, just abandon Proud Lake, and let the equestrians take over it. Let them maintain their own trail, since none of them appreciate the mountain bikers on Proud Lake apparently. Bunch of MMBA volunteers maintain it, equestrians ruin it. Not only do they ruin it, they cuss at mountain bikers and yell at them for being on the trail.... Yeah... talk about getting along.

Let them have their own trail day, which they will never have. Let the trail turn to crap with all the dimples and erosion from 2000lb animal walking on it.

And this is my own opinion, not the opinion of MMBA.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby ibisman » May 7th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Nope, I said what I said.It happened like I said. nothing like coming around a couner and your front tire sliding out in a big pile of horse *beep*.If you ever rode on a horse trail and got caught by a horsey rider what would they say to you? "Please mister mountain biker dont ride on our trail"? I'm not an ambassador, and I dont put up with idiots.you talk nice to them if you want. Don't put me in your group. I don't represent anyone. I ride 4 days a week all year, any weather. You can sit around and hold hands and sing camp songs with the spoiled horsey people. *beep*
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby froggyrider » May 7th, 2010, 5:54 pm

You don't need to be part of any group, Ibisman, to contribute in a positive, constructive way. I am sure the equestrians wouldn't be able to distinguish one mountain biker from another, hornery or complacent. However, just an FYI, non members and members alike are welcome at the upcoming Trail Day at Proud Lake: Saturday, 5/15. There will be plenty of opportunities to cut back face slappers in the summer as well.
froggyrider

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 8th, 2010, 9:02 am

daffunda wrote:Some arguments: .................

As much as I hate to post this, I almost want to say, just abandon Proud Lake, and let the equestrians take over it. Let them maintain their own trail, since none of them appreciate the mountain bikers on Proud Lake apparently. Bunch of MMBA volunteers maintain it, equestrians ruin it. Not only do they ruin it, they cuss at mountain bikers and yell at them for being on the trail.... Yeah... talk about getting along.

Let them have their own trail day, which they will never have. Let the trail turn to crap with all the dimples and erosion from 2000lb animal walking on it.

And this is my own opinion, not the opinion of MMBA.

Builder Bill can probably answer this better than me, but those trails were not open to MTBing until a few years ago. They were not getting that much use. Since Bill's opening day ride, every time I've ridden this trail, I barely see a soul out there. I see the hoof prints, but never an equestrian. Once and a while I see a MTBr (if I'm not mistaken, you were the guy I talked to a couple years ago coming the other way on a poorly marked section) and a few hikers. I mostly see locals walking their dogs. I typically just ride my fatbike out there as there are a lot of open deep sandy areas. Those tires handle horse *beep* pretty well, but I'm good about keeping out of that. I'm thinking in hot summer horse damage will not matter much in those deep sand sections. Bottom line, if there are not enough users to warrant keeping the trail open, what will become of it? Possible if we don't ride it, and the DNR has to make cuts, this trail might be a target.

Personally, I think the lack of use results from people unable to find their way around. The few people I've actually spoken with were lost. Not the easiest trail system to navigate. I know the trail is a pot of gold for local riders, they know their way around pretty well.

Should I ever be challanged by some other user for my right to ride on any trail approved for MTB use, I'm not going to argue, just demand they go down to the park office with me to debate their case to a park officer. I almost did that at Maybury one winter, but fortunately the XC skier who tried getting self-righteous with me did so on the opposite side of the sign saying the trail was approved for winter MTB riding. All I needed to do was point and say "read this" :mrgreen:
Steve_Balogh

Postby froggyrider » May 8th, 2010, 4:41 pm

Signage has been an issue; MTB signs have been torn down several times after they are posted...
froggyrider

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions