Hickory Glen/Commerce Trail Day Saturday, 4/17 at 9 am

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association (formerly Metro South chapter) topics.

Hickory Glen/Commerce Trail Day Saturday, 4/17 at 9 am

Postby froggyrider » April 11th, 2010, 9:56 am

Join us for the Spring Trail Day at Hickory Glen/Commerce! Earn your FAFL volunteer hours! Breakfast and lunch provided. There are several projects the TC has in mind, plus general trimming. Bring your bike for a ride afterwards!
Last edited by froggyrider on April 17th, 2010, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Re: Hickory Glen/Commerce Trail Day Saturday, 4/17 at 9 am

Postby Mweir » April 13th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Im a total newbie, last summer was my first time riding real MTB trails, and Hickory Glen was my first ever ride and i feel like i should give back somehow but I have no idea how a "trail day" works or what to expect! could you maybe give me a little insight. I am going to try my best to make it out Saturday morning.
Mweir

Postby Loren » April 13th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Even though it's 6 years old, the post What to expect at a trail work day contains some useful advice.

Generally, we start out with some introductions, a safety briefing, and divide ourselves into teams to address the different tasks that the Trail Coordinator has defined. That might be anything from clearing winter debris from the trail, rebuilding log piles, or something more specialized such as installing sign posts or building a kiosk. Every trail day is different, and there's almost always some way you can contribute no matter what your skills and experience level is. Every trail coordinator that I've ever worked with is very appreciative of their volunteer's time and energy, and work to make sure that trail days are a positive experience for all. Often beverages and food are provided if the trail work is expected to take more than a few hours.

I find that trail work is an incredibly rewarding and enriching experience, and a great way to see a trail from a new perspective.
Loren

Postby Apps » April 15th, 2010, 8:00 am

Rode the trail last night..it's in great shape but we will be doing some tweaking during the upcoming trail day on Saturday. Plans include repairing the freeride stunt, adding a new "bowl" to ride through/jump, repairing a log pile or two and some things to get us ready for the heart of riding season. Hope to see everyone out there Saturday at 9am!!!

Justin
Hickory Glen Trail Coordinator
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Di_bear » April 16th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Okay, this event is kind of a test run, so I'm posting it here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-13912-Michigan-Mountain-Biking-Examiner~y2010m4d16-Volunteers-needed-for-Hickory-Glen-trail-day-in-Commerce-Township

Loren, I stole a quote from you. ;-)

I quit writing for the Examiner a couple of months ago because it was completely not worth my while. As a result, the "Michigan Mountain Biking Examiner" does not exist, but I can still publish to the web site. I've decided to post event notifications and recaps to this site. If the Examiner decides to revive my column, I will create an online form so you guys can more easily notify me of your events. This is necessary because I'll need specific info. :-)

Anyway, check out the above link. I will post up a thing for Rouge Park either tonight or tomorrow.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby froggyrider » April 16th, 2010, 2:40 pm

The more the word gets out, the better. Thanks, Di Bear.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Di_bear » April 16th, 2010, 3:00 pm

No prob, frog.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby froggyrider » April 16th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Hi, Hickory Glen/Commerce enthusiasts,

Please bring a chair so when you eat lunch, you have a place to sit.

It will be chillier than expected, high of 47, so keep that in mind!

Thanks.
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » April 17th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Thanks to our almost 20 volunteers who moved mountains today to tweak this gem of a trail:

John Evans
Nick Razo
Tim Slabach
Dave Thompson
Frank Bean
Brian Thomas
Lacey Jones
Shannon Flynn
Chris Frey
Grace Dombrowski
Mark Dombrowski
Lola Dombrowski
William Pruehs
Joel Applegate
Jared Pence
Loren Konkus (thanks for hauling the trailer, too!)
Joe Foy
Matthew Weir
Nate Sefcik
Tina Applegate (thanks for helping with the waivers and lunch, too!)
Justin Appelgate, TC for Hickory Glen/Commerce- Cap't- YOU RAWK!

If you haven't been to "The Hick" yet for a ride yet, it is well worth winding through the roadways in Commerce to get there. It is truly artistic in design, embracing its natural surroundings, not fighting against nature for the sake of a trail. With its twists and turns, bowls and log piles, it will astound you while testing your bike handling skills. Please look at the pics AND VIDEO below to entice you to ride at Hickory Glen/Commerce:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MMBA.MetroS ... eTrailDay#

***FYI- We are looking for a co or assistant TC for this trail. Please let me or Justin know if you are interested!***
froggyrider

Postby wilson-stock » July 21st, 2010, 11:15 pm

That's really amazing seeing to those pics i wish i would be there
Free Penny Stocks trading newsletter by Penny Stock Pick Alert
wilson-stock

Postby froggyrider » July 25th, 2010, 10:46 am

There will be more trail days to come. Keep checking the board for announcements.
froggyrider

Return to MCMBA