Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby paydirt_07 » May 23rd, 2008, 12:51 pm

donjoses wrote:Ditto sworks88. Rode Yankee this morning and it is a great trail. Good enough that it was worth the drive from Bloomington, IN. Great job MMBA on building and maintaining the trail. Perfect. Gonna try to hit another trail on Sunday. Any suggestions, I'm staying in Kentwood for the weekend?

Thanks,
Brad

Brad, you could check out Cannonsburg State Game Area or Cannonsburg Ski, both of them near by on the east/northeast side of Grand Rapids. They are two local favorites.
paydirt_07

Postby ReidRules18 » June 6th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Rode Yankee Springs today with the girlfriend after the big rainstorm. Removed two large branches/small trees from the trail. There is one big tree down after mile marker 6 right before the start of a largish climb in the pines. It is not covering the trail, however when it fell the roots removed a good chunk of trail and through some more rain the trail is going to be washed away pretty quick. Just a heads up.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby kev » June 25th, 2008, 9:27 pm

i am wondering how the trail is after a rain? is it ride able the day after? my plans are to be over that side of the state and want to try to get a ride in on sat. thanks kev
kev

Postby mtbyker » June 25th, 2008, 9:41 pm

kev wrote:i am wondering how the trail is after a rain? is it ride able the day after? my plans are to be over that side of the state and want to try to get a ride in on sat. thanks kev

Probably the most rideable trail there is after a rain. You will be fine......
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby Guppie » July 2nd, 2008, 10:22 am

Did 4 laps yesterday. It's all sand right now. You'll want 25psi in your tires to avoid washout on every turn and to float the sand pits.

Also, around the 6 or 8 mile mark (assuming you started at the beginning) my back tire burped so I had to stop and Co2 it with some air. Forgot to size up my bag so a nice Crank Brothers multi-tool fell out. :( I looked but couldn't find it. Let me know if you stumble across it.

Having a flat was good practice for race. Took me 55 seconds to open bag, attached Co2 and inflate.
Guppie

Postby daffunda » July 2nd, 2008, 12:42 pm

First time yesterday. 3 hours drive one way drove me insane... and those oil companies being greedy *beep* didn't help either.

Great trail, liked the pines, wish SE michigan had these trails.... Completely dry as I remember it. Sand was no problem, almost fun to slide around. I was running 26 psi though....

Low grass covering some part of the trail hides some rocks. I clipped one and bent my rotor on the first lap..... Being that I drove all the way there, I wanted to do at least three laps, but no... :cry: :x

I think I saw you at the trailhead yesterday GUppie, I didn't realize it until I read this forum. Do you always bike around that time during the weekdays? If your job is that flexible, I'm extremely jealous..... :lol: I was there since I had the week off..... :D

No I didn't find your multitool...
daffunda

Postby Guppie » July 2nd, 2008, 3:01 pm

I'm on a sabbatical from my job right now. I was very unhappy so I ve spent the last few months recharging myself. I am getting spoiled since I can ride so much. That's why I was there in the afternoon. :)
Guppie

Postby xcrdr » July 3rd, 2008, 3:55 pm

Any idea how he trail is after the storm last night?
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby duotone » July 3rd, 2008, 4:42 pm

did a couple laps today, it's in great shape!
It's not a bike, it's a message.

I'd rather ride my bike than operate it.

This is not a business, it's a hobby out of control
http://web.mac.com/tonyreidsma/Bike_Bui ... lcome.html
duotone

Postby xcrdr » July 3rd, 2008, 11:06 pm

Thanks tony, your right, it was sweet. My son rode the 1999 Catamount as a SS and did great. Even with the fat 2.4 Motoraptors!
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby duotone » July 3rd, 2008, 11:12 pm

xcrdr wrote:...1999 Catamount as a SS ...

:arrow: sweeeeet :!:
It's not a bike, it's a message.

I'd rather ride my bike than operate it.

This is not a business, it's a hobby out of control
http://web.mac.com/tonyreidsma/Bike_Bui ... lcome.html
duotone

Postby normlobo » July 13th, 2008, 5:46 pm

trail in great shape as of 7/12. Thanks for all who make it possible
normlobo

trail condition

Postby bery » July 20th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Trail is wonderful. A lots of sand to wrestle with.
There is one hick-up. There's a downed tree (huge) blocking the trail at mile 13. Right before you finish! so, watch out!
bery

Postby jonvenlet » July 22nd, 2008, 7:02 pm

+1 on the sand! bring your 29er if you have one...only way to float through the sand.

I did the better part of 3 laps today and it was really nice (other than the sand, but that is to be expected in West MI).

There was a tree down at the bottom of the long fast switchback-y descent, just after the log pile. Sure was nice to ride down that rather than up like in the TT :lol:
jonvenlet

good to ride after all the rain?

Postby rockaceone » September 5th, 2008, 8:42 am

anyone think yankee will be ridable today after all the rain? i know it drains pretty fast...but don't want to waste the trip.
rockaceone

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions