Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby killercarbon98 » March 15th, 2010, 6:52 pm

cool thanks Reid. I also heard today that it is in the 3rd section just after that muddy downhill that has been getting wider each year. (where you do a zig zag over some tree roots and quickly over the bridge) That is most easily accessed via the Dursum extension (as its called) south off 4 mile then left when you come to the open meadow. let me know.
killercarbon98

Postby yukonjack » March 16th, 2010, 3:12 pm

The bridge is still partially up. It looks to me like someone that doesn't like mountain bikers pried off several of the deck boards. The boards that span the water are fine. I saw quite a few of the removed boards downstream from the bridge. Maybe I can fish them out tomorrow when I have more free time.
yukonjack

Postby spwrozek » March 16th, 2010, 7:20 pm

I just wanted to say that I can't wait to ride this trail again. It will be my first Sunday trip for sure.
spwrozek

Postby burkowitz » March 17th, 2010, 11:22 am

Anyone get a look at the trail yesterday?
Expert spoke buster.
burkowitz

Postby killercarbon98 » March 17th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Thanks for the update YJ... if you do get a chance PM me or email via link on Trail Guide page so I can either join you or f/u and inform DNR. I just submitted the required paperwork for 2010 trail work and repairs this AM. I dont think DNR will mind use fixing it asap I just need to inform them in advance.
Chris
killercarbon98

Postby KnightDesign » March 18th, 2010, 7:59 pm

I'm a Ski Patrol OEC at C-Burg.
I hiked the trail the other day.
Most of the highland is Dry enough, but the lower river section is to wet currently.
KnightDesign

Postby burkowitz » March 18th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Thanks!
Expert spoke buster.
burkowitz

Postby John_H » March 18th, 2010, 9:11 pm

I got to check out the 3rd section tonight. The bridge in rough shape is the second one in that section. The boards were just tossed in the creek downstream. I wasn't prepared to get wet tonight, or I would have tackled some of the job fishing them out. Vandalism really *beep* me off. A good size tree down near the rock armoring area in that section too.
The trail looks to be thawed out pretty good and dry, but I skipped the second section.
John_H

Postby burkowitz » March 18th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Assuming vandalism. I bet a bear nuzzled up under the bridge for the winter and dreamed of chasing down riders and got all huge.
Expert spoke buster.
burkowitz

Postby Bigtymer » March 19th, 2010, 6:11 am

You can make it across the bridge. You just have to use your SUPER mountain bike skills to get a across...lol
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby cramer » March 23rd, 2010, 9:42 am

Rode the last section and the first section last night. Both were completely dry; not a drop of water anywhere.
cramer

Postby ignition16 » March 25th, 2010, 8:21 am

Rode a full lap here last night. The whole trail is good to go. It is covered in leaves, so it is kinda slow, but getting those leaves ground in will be good for it. The bridge in the third section is still out, but its easy to walk your bike across it. Other than that there are no problems.
ignition16

Postby cramer » March 25th, 2010, 8:41 am

On the bridge that is broken, there is a skinny plank that may tempt some people to try to ride it. My advice is NOT to ride this plank, even if you have the skills to do it. It feels very weak and the span between supports is too great. I think it's likely to snap under the weight of a rider and bike.
cramer

GPS

Postby rkloeckner » March 25th, 2010, 9:17 am

I also road last night and besides the leafs that make some of the hill climbs and corners a bit slick, the trail is pretty fast.

On another note, I use my phone and a GPS program to record my rides. Does anyone use this method or use a handheld GPS? I only get 6.3 to 6.5 miles depending on where I start recording. The webpage says the tail is 7.5 miles. I have a hard time believing my unit is off by a mile or more. Does the 7.5 include the desert loop? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Rich
rkloeckner

Postby ignition16 » March 25th, 2010, 9:55 am

the computer on my bike rang up 7.79 miles from my car all the way around back to my car. I think my friend had a little less than that, so mine might be a little high, but i doubt that both of ours are over a mile off. did your GPS have good reception the whole time?
ignition16

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions