Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby burkowitz » March 25th, 2010, 10:08 am

Tuesday was an awesome first ride. Trail was great, love the leaves over the sand. Freaked a trout that went flapping away as I was crossing the busted bridge. Nearly caught me off balance. Do not ride across, my 198 lbs. and bike made the beam creak and it felt very close to failure.
Expert spoke buster.
burkowitz

Postby Riceman » March 26th, 2010, 11:38 am

Here is my GPS reading of the trail from last year. I believe this incorporates all the changes for hte year...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/6069272
Riceman

Re: GPS

Postby cramer » March 26th, 2010, 1:45 pm

rkloeckner wrote:I also road last night and besides the leafs that make some of the hill climbs and corners a bit slick, the trail is pretty fast.

On another note, I use my phone and a GPS program to record my rides. Does anyone use this method or use a handheld GPS? I only get 6.3 to 6.5 miles depending on where I start recording. The webpage says the tail is 7.5 miles. I have a hard time believing my unit is off by a mile or more. Does the 7.5 include the desert loop? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Rich

The 7.5 miles is for the main loop only and if anything it's a bit longer than that with some of the recent re-routes, though it's still less than 8 miles. A properly calibrated and functioning bike computer is more accurate than GPS. A GPS tends to under report distance on trails for a variety of reasons, but usually not by that much. I'm guessing you're losing signal in some of the low lying or heavily wooded areas.
cramer

Postby jackalope » March 28th, 2010, 9:59 am

I'm headed out this morning (Sunday) to attempt repairs the bridge. I'm going to do the best I can with a screw gun and the materials that are left there. I'll try to post photos later.
jackalope

Postby Keith29er » March 28th, 2010, 1:00 pm

Thanks Jack and Chris for helping my dad and I fix the bridge this morning. For the rest of you the BRIDGE IS FIXED. Upgrades to come later. ie: new beams, all new boards, and railing. Jack will post pics I think later today of the fixed bridge. Also whoever is trying to make re:routes/shortcuts please STOP. The trail is where it is for a reason.
Keith29er

Postby killercarbon98 » March 28th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Thank you Kieth and Roger.....you did all the work> Kudos!
Regarding the Short Cut Bandit, you are correct, but if anyone knows who he is please let me know so I can lasso his high level of persistence and take advantage of his work ethic to build some sweet berms so we can rip around a couple of those turns and really increase our lap times! Seriously. If your reading this and its you please PM me so we can fix it and make it better for all..if people keep building the added lines via the short cuts the DNR will shut it down for all. (then mr Bandit will have a price on his head :( scary)
Thanks to all!
C
killercarbon98

Postby jackalope » March 28th, 2010, 3:13 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to run into Keith, Roger, and Chris today. We got the bridge all patched up, so GO RIDE!

I'll post some photos on my website later: http://www.jackwiswell.com/Site/Latest.html
jackalope

Postby ReidRules18 » March 28th, 2010, 5:03 pm

Thank you!
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby Keith29er » March 28th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Nice pics Jack. I may have to hire you for a few hours.
Keith29er

Postby mtb_chick » March 29th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Thanks so much for fixing the bridge, guys! Just rode it tonight. :D
Life's short. Get out and ride!
mtb_chick

Postby jmgrandrapids » April 6th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Hey I am new to the area. I rode the SGA trail last week. How long will it take for the trail to be rideable after all this rain?
jmgrandrapids

Postby killercarbon98 » April 6th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Good question, depends on how much we end up with but prob 3-4 days or so. Cburg ski area ans Yankee Spring will dry much faster.
killercarbon98

Postby kyscottvs » April 7th, 2010, 1:59 pm

anyone been out there today? Is it pretty bad?
kyscottvs

Postby John_H » April 7th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Wet goo. We've had some serious rain lately.
John_H

Postby GR_MtnBkr » April 8th, 2010, 3:38 pm

I road Sunday and the trail was fantastic! Now, Im chomping at the bit to get back out there............I know we needed the rain, but enough is enough!! I WANNA RIDE!!
GR_MtnBkr

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions