MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby Builder-Bill » May 8th, 2010, 6:52 pm

Hey everyone,

That area of Proud Lake has always been a multi-use trail system. It's open to hunters, snowmobilers, hikers, bikers and equestrians, etc. As TC. I have worked with and become good friends with many of the equestrians. Both groups play a role in maintaing the trail system. Most equestrians and mountain bikers have no problem sharing the trails. There are always a few exceptions on both sides of course. :roll:

It really comes down to sharing your toys and playing well with others. If you can't be respectful, civil and deal with each other's sport on the rare occasions that you cross paths, then don't ride the trails. :!:
Of course you would then be missing out on some sweet old school trails.

I worked on a trail seperation plan with the local Proud Lake equestrian group last year. Unfortunately, the powers that be within the DNR didn't agree with the plan and nixed it. So until or if that ever changes, we share and enjoy the trails.

The only exception is the Kensington to Proud Lake connector, which is on Metro Park land, west of Old Plank Road to Milford Road (which is a great connector by the way). The Metro-Park has seperated Mt. Bike/Hike and Equestrian trails.

See Ya Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Proud Lake and Milford TC.
Builder-Bill

Postby daffunda » May 9th, 2010, 7:56 am

froggyrider wrote:Signage has been an issue; MTB signs have been torn down several times after they are posted...

I noticed that too. Signs don't come down by themselves. I think the equestrians who do that don't really become friends with anyone who mountain bikes. Of course, there are a-holes on every community.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby froggyrider » May 9th, 2010, 10:44 am

The multi use trail has trail days by many user groups, equestrians and mountain bikers alike. If you are interested in helping at the upcoming trail day to get the trail ready for the Milford Challenge, see this link:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=97308
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby WICCMB » May 9th, 2010, 11:32 pm

I rode out at Proud Lake Sunday evening - loops 1/2/4. Overall, the trails are in great shape....a few face slappers, and a couple of small trees down from the recent wind. All in all, it was a great ride. I was surprised to find that the trails were mainly dry, just a couple of damp spots remained.

Anyone that is afraid to ride Proud Lake because they think it's torn up, or they think they'll have an altercation with an equestrian, is really missing the boat. The trails are fun to ride, period. 9 out of 10 rides out there you probably won't see a soul, except wildlife. If you want a personal tour of the trails, I would be happy to oblige - send me a PM. However, the DNR signed the trails last year, and with maps at every intersection. If you cannot find your way around the trail now, you may want to consider sticking to the sidewalk. :P
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby ColorVoyeur » May 11th, 2010, 9:22 am

Awesome ride yesterday with my freeride bike. We sessioned a lot of the downhill, and found some really nice fast sections.

One tree down on loop4, about 1 mile into the loop. Big mass of tree, definite walk around.
ColorVoyeur

Postby Builder-Bill » May 11th, 2010, 7:33 pm

ColorVoyeur wrote:Awesome ride yesterday with my freeride bike. We sessioned a lot of the downhill, and found some really nice fast sections.

One tree down on loop4, about 1 mile into the loop. Big mass of tree, definite walk around.

That's one of the projects for Saturday..
See Ya Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Builder-Bill

Postby froggyrider » May 16th, 2010, 9:27 pm

WOOT- what a great trail day yesterday. Go ride the loops and get ready for the Milford Challenge on Saturday, June 5th!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » May 20th, 2010, 7:33 pm

froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » May 27th, 2010, 8:25 pm

The loop of pain was nicely trimmed from the trail day! Watch out for the froggies who are out to catch flies, though... :cry:

The trail will be great for the Miolford Challenge!
froggyrider

Postby ibisman » May 28th, 2010, 6:10 am

i took my friend out there yesterday from Hickory Glen to Milford but on the way back I could not the connector to proud lake. Can you tell me where to find it? The one off kensington? Thanks.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby macbean » May 29th, 2010, 10:40 am

ibisman wrote:i took my friend out there yesterday from Hickory Glen to Milford but on the way back I could not the connector to proud lake. Can you tell me where to find it? The one off kensington? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the western end of the connector at the corner of Milford Rd and E Huron River Parkway. Its just a little north of the Dairy Queen.

unfortunately, i don't know that I can explain where the eastern end is.
macbean

Postby Builder-Bill » May 29th, 2010, 4:26 pm

macbean wrote:
ibisman wrote:i took my friend out there yesterday from Hickory Glen to Milford but on the way back I could not the connector to proud lake. Can you tell me where to find it? The one off kensington? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the western end of the connector at the corner of Milford Rd and E Huron River Parkway. Its just a little north of the Dairy Queen.

unfortunately, i don't know that I can explain where the eastern end is.

Look for the sign that says Bike/hike. North /East side.
Builder-Bill

Postby Builder-Bill » May 29th, 2010, 4:33 pm

Proud Lake is in great shape hard packed.. We just finished mowing Loop 1 and 4 today.

Milford Trail Challenge Saturday, June 5th. 2010
milfordchallenge.com

See Ya Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby billips1002 » June 16th, 2010, 10:23 am

How are trail conditions?

Myself and several others are planning to ride Proud Lake for the first time Thursday evening.

Thanks!
billips1002

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 16th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Proud lake in my experience dries out a lot like Hickory Glen... quickly.
I have not been to Proud Lake in two weeks, but it's been in great condition all season leading into my break.
Just not sure of trees, but have not noticed near as many downers this year as last.
ColorVoyeur

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions