Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby cramer » April 9th, 2010, 7:48 pm

It was mostly dry already tonight, I think because it was so windy today. Just a few of the low spots that are always problematic remained wet but not bad at all; no real mud on the bike or anything. The erosion from that hard rain is pretty startling. It's like a whole different trail in some areas. Felt like I was riding down a dried up old riverbed and some of the sand pits grew quite a bit. One big downed tree near that drop off just before the newly repaired bridge in the third section. My saw is on loan and I'm watching the kids all weekend or I would cut it out.
cramer

Postby grmtnbkr » April 14th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Who was the genius that put that little reroute around that little drop off the roots right before the bridge. It is more dangerous than the original route. Right on the side of the hill going into the stream. Please tell me the MMBA did not do this.
grmtnbkr

Postby cramer » April 14th, 2010, 8:37 pm

grmtnbkr wrote:Who was the genius that put that little reroute around that little drop off the roots right before the bridge. It is more dangerous than the original route. Right on the side of the hill going into the stream. Please tell me the MMBA did not do this.

It's not a re-route, it's a way around the tree that is (was?) blocking the original route.
cramer

Postby grmtnbkr » April 15th, 2010, 2:51 pm

cramer wrote:
grmtnbkr wrote:Who was the genius that put that little reroute around that little drop off the roots right before the bridge. It is more dangerous than the original route. Right on the side of the hill going into the stream. Please tell me the MMBA did not do this.

It's not a re-route, it's a way around the tree that is (was?) blocking the original route.

That's a little better, but it is a very dangerous way around. And I like dangerous. 8) :wink:
grmtnbkr

Postby Bigtymer » April 15th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Yeah that part is a lot of fun :)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby burkowitz » April 18th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I think today and yesterday were the best days on the trail this year. Superfast!
Expert spoke buster.
burkowitz

Postby burkowitz » April 18th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Where did you get that 5.25" meow drive!
Expert spoke buster.
burkowitz

Postby Ranger Pride » April 20th, 2010, 7:57 pm

WARNING

A friend of mine was out there Sunday afternoon and was ripping around the first couple corners of the third section, came around a blind corner and someone had pushed a small tree over the trail. He had just enough time to slam on his brakes and duck but it gave him a nasty gash on the back of his neck knocking him off his bike. A couple minutes later he rode past a group of high school/college age guys then went a little further down the trail only to find the exact same thing again only this time he was looking for it. He said it was clear that someone had purposely pushed the tree's(I am assuming young trees) over as they were all split down toward there bases for no reason and were right in the way of any biker that might be trying to ride the trail.

It is a shame that this kind of stuff is going on. In the early spring a bridge on section 3 was out and I am pretty sure this was a result of some idiots as well.
Ranger Pride

Postby RickPlite » April 20th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Ranger Pride wrote:WARNING

A friend of mine was out there Sunday afternoon and was ripping around the first couple corners of the third section, came around a blind corner and someone had pushed a small tree over the trail. He had just enough time to slam on his brakes and duck but it gave him a nasty gash on the back of his neck knocking him off his bike. A couple minutes later he rode past a group of high school/college age guys then went a little further down the trail only to find the exact same thing again only this time he was looking for it. He said it was clear that someone had purposely pushed the tree's(I am assuming young trees) over as they were all split down toward there bases for no reason and were right in the way of any biker that might be trying to ride the trail.

It is a shame that this kind of stuff is going on. In the early spring a bridge on section 3 was out and I am pretty sure this was a result of some idiots as well.

is the tree still blocking the trail in section three just before the second bridge?
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby John_H » April 20th, 2010, 10:31 pm

No Rick - Someone cleared the tree in 3rd section.
John_H

Postby RickPlite » April 21st, 2010, 7:21 am

John_H wrote:No Rick - Someone cleared the tree in 3rd section.

Thanks John
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby gdlessheathen » April 21st, 2010, 10:02 am

Ranger Pride wrote:WARNING

My husband and I were out just this past Monday and were surprised to see hunters out (it was about 5PM or so). I guess it was the first day of turkey season (according to the one I encountered as I was just about to enter the second section from Dursum).

We've been riding this trail at this time of the year for years now and I've never seen guys with guns out there when we're out riding. Is this something we should be concerned about? Also, do you all think they would be so petty as to mess up the trail for bikers? It's just a thought...
gdlessheathen

Postby Bigtymer » April 21st, 2010, 11:38 am

I would wear bright colors while riding because the game area was a hunting trail before it was a mtn bike trail.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby cramer » April 21st, 2010, 1:29 pm

I'm not too worried about being mistaken for a turkey. Looking at the DNR site it shows there is a spring turkey season but the hours of hunting are very limited. You get the half hour after sunrise in the AM and the half hour before sunset in the PM only but I suppose that's for the actual hunt and doesn't include time walking and getting set up. There are other small game animals that I think you can hunt year round so I would never expect there to be no hunters at all out there, though I agree it's rare to see them this time of year. We are lucky to have this land to ride on, most game areas do not allow bikes at all. I've talked to some hunters that live out here that have animosity toward mountain bikers because they believe the land should be for hunting and hunting only.
cramer

Postby gdlessheathen » April 21st, 2010, 1:55 pm

cramer wrote:I'm not too worried about being mistaken for a turkey. Looking at the DNR site it shows there is a spring turkey season but the hours of hunting are very limited. You get the half hour after sunrise in the AM and the half hour before sunset in the PM only but I suppose that's for the actual hunt and doesn't include time walking and getting set up. There are other small game animals that I think you can hunt year round so I would never expect there to be no hunters at all out there, though I agree it's rare to see them this time of year. We are lucky to have this land to ride on, most game areas do not allow bikes at all. I've talked to some hunters that live out here that have animosity toward mountain bikers because they believe the land should be for hunting and hunting only.

LOL...I'm not worried about being mistaken for a turkey! But I don't trust that every hunter knows what he or she is doing with their firearm, either.

Don't get me wrong, I totally respect that this is a gaming area and we are sharing it. But I always assumed that was the reason why we weren't allowed on it after September 15th, and I'm always respectful of that. I don't set foot out there even if the weather is perfect after that date.

It's that animosity that you speak of that made me speculate on if they may have possibly altered the trail a bit to mess with bikers. Those hunters I saw coming off of the trail on Monday didn't look all that happy that the trail was so busy. But in all fairness, it always is this time of year-nothing has changed.
gdlessheathen

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions