MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby ihateplaindave » July 15th, 2010, 7:29 am

Did the Kensington Connector and most of Loops 4 and 2 last night. Best shape I've seen in awhile: almost no mud, almost no horse sh1t, no trees down, some face/arm/leg slappers in the open areas. Bug free til 7:10 then it was like a bug explosion. Decided not to do Loop 1 and took the road back into Milford.
ihateplaindave

Postby Spinwheel » July 15th, 2010, 8:26 pm

I got some some nice cuts on loop 4 last night so considering doing some weed whipping and pruning Saturday am or Sunday am. I could use one other person - if anyone's interested pls pm - would be appreciated and I cleared it with the TC.

Loop 3 has two large poison ivey patches hugging the trail near the RxR crossing end of the loop - use caution there.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » July 15th, 2010, 9:36 pm

Thanks for helping, Tim. I hope someone can help! We have loppers in the trailer if anyone needs to "check them out" like from a library!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby ihateplaindave » July 16th, 2010, 8:15 am

I also got some cuts on Wed evening. I could help on Sunday around 11 or 11:30. I am immune to poison ivy (so far) so I can handle the Loop 3 problem. Let me know.
ihateplaindave

Postby Spinwheel » July 17th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Thanks guys! .. My weed whip broke this morning as I was getting warmed up - so its in the shop. I managed to get soome pruning done. Situation improved. More to do.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » July 18th, 2010, 11:25 am

Don't forget to submit you FAFL hours to the TC or metrousouthATmmba.org. We want to let the parks know how many hours our volunteers put in on these trails each year.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » July 21st, 2010, 9:17 pm

We rode out to Loop 4 at it was a BLAST! There really aren't face slappers, but there sure are leg slappers based on the height of the overgrowth. So, no sight lines are obscured, but it did make for a scratchy ride. Boy, in those woods you really feel like you are so far away from suburbia... it's great!
froggyrider

Postby J/C » July 28th, 2010, 10:57 am

I hiked Loop 1 last night and it's in good shape. Some leg scrapers by the power lines. Not much horse evidence at all.
I would have been riding but I think I fractured a rib last weekend in an ill-fated slip'n'slide attempt.
-John
J/C

Postby froggyrider » July 29th, 2010, 11:05 pm

I was intrigued by your "lack of *beep*" notice, so we rode most of Loop 1 tonight, along with the last half of loop 4 and some of loop 2 with some dirt roads in between. Loop 1 was in great shape- a little bumpy from the horse shoes, but very little *beep*. The slappers in general are here and there but not a show stopper yet. There are more sticks on the trail due to winds than slappers right now. The downhills on Loop 4 are getting washed out with loose rocks, so watch out for some tricky slippy parts ! It was a beautiful night for a ride after work. I love these country rides which I call "daycations." ...a few hours' escape from the concrete jungle called life! Proud Lake is great for that with so few people around. Come out and ride, folks!
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » August 5th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Rode the 2nd half of Loop Four and all of Loop Three- the Loop of Pain. The washed out downhills with lots of loose rocks make my sphincter wince.... :shock: But for those of you braver than I am (which is just about everybody), it is rideable. Just be careful! Didn't see very many hockey pucks at all, just some knee slappers and areas that could use a good mowing on the two track between loops. The view from the top of the Loop of Pain was phenomenal!
froggyrider

Postby 1fst4drm6 » August 12th, 2010, 4:28 pm

I've gotta admit that I'm just not feeling Proud Lake at all. I've done Loops 1 & 2 a couple times and was unimpressed. After hearing that 3 & 4 are where the fun is at, I rode out there this afternoon. With the exception of alot of horse crap Loop 4 was decent I suppose. 1 big tree down about half way through it. Lots of thorny vines arcing across the path though which will tear up your knuckles and forearms... some right at neck height so be careful. Trail seems way overgrown and very sandy/ loose... I'm assuming from a lack of traffic through there. Loop 3 was way more overgrown.

I doubt I'll be back to proud lake... it just can't compete with the trails at Maybury, PLRA, Highland, and even Hickory Glen.
1fst4drm6

Postby froggyrider » August 12th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Sounds like it just needs some trimming is all... But, there are enough trails to go around for everyone's tastes!!
froggyrider

Postby Spinwheel » August 18th, 2010, 8:31 pm

More trimming done on L4 - the through route to the K Connector should be just about thorn-free. Saw no bikes and lots of horse doo.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » August 18th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Thanks, Tim! Alas, I won't be able to ride there again until next week... :(

Submit your FAFL hours, please. ;)
froggyrider

Postby Spinwheel » August 20th, 2010, 12:01 am

yw, sent you the trail hours too.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions