Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby killercarbon98 » May 2nd, 2010, 6:01 pm

Beware of soft sand on the dwn hill just after the Trail Work Ahead sign in section 3.
Had a good day armoring with flag and field stone but not quite ready to open for riding. Sand will be going away soon.
killercarbon98

Postby burkowitz » May 2nd, 2010, 6:37 pm

The trail has come a long way since I started riding it in 1994.
Expert spoke buster.
burkowitz

Postby cramer » May 4th, 2010, 12:25 pm

- Posted at the request of the killercarbon-

Step 2
Spent Day 2 and 3 laying down armoring with Rick and Aaron. Thanks Guys!
Beware of soft sand on the down hill just after the Trail Work Ahead sign in section 3. (as we begin to back fill the old tread) Had a good day armoring with flag and field stone but not quite ready to open for riding. Sand will be going away soon.

Step 3
Brought in more field stone and created a XLG nick in front of the armored section with the Ditch Witch (I LOVE DITCH WITCHES!) to divert water down the hill vs down and under the armor.
Stay tuned for more updates and pics.

PS: Anyone interested in laying a final "Stone of your Own" (Your personal piece of History on your Heritage Trail) come out for the Trial Day this Saturday 5-8-10 at 9 AM. Bring work gloves/shoes etc, H2O and bug spray. FREE Lunch!
cramer

Postby grmtnbkr » May 4th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Looks good. Same day as river bank run though.
grmtnbkr

Postby Purple is a Fruit » May 9th, 2010, 4:13 pm

Armoring looks/rides great! Just wish my schedule would cooperate with the build/work days/times so I could come out and give a hand.

Otherwise, the trail is in great shape after the recent rain. There is a tree down in the 4th section, just after the 2nd bridge.
Nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.
Purple is a Fruit

Postby kevin g » May 14th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Does anyone know if this trail is ok to ride on after all the rain we have had this week? I am looking to get a little riding in early tomorrow AM before life's commitments start.
kevin g

Postby John_H » May 15th, 2010, 7:51 am

kevin g wrote:Does anyone know if this trail is ok to ride on after all the rain we have had this week? I am looking to get a little riding in early tomorrow AM before life's commitments start.

A bit late for the reply, bu it will be muddy for sure. Better by Sunday the way the weather looks. You'd be much better riding ski area today. Rode there Friday and it was almost totally dry except the short creek section. Ski area dries quickly.
John_H

Postby kevin g » May 15th, 2010, 9:05 pm

I did ride it this morning and I was kind of surprised at how unmuddy it was. There was a muddy section a little ways before the end of the second section, but other than that I don't recall any really muddy areas. It was a great ride; I really like this trail.
kevin g

Postby cramer » May 15th, 2010, 9:59 pm

kevin g wrote:I did ride it this morning and I was kind of surprised at how unmuddy it was. There was a muddy section a little ways before the end of the second section, but other than that I don't recall any really muddy areas. It was a great ride; I really like this trail.

It was really windy all day Friday, that helped to dry things out I think.
cramer

Postby ReidRules18 » May 25th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Rode two laps today 5/25 and the trail is rippin' fast and full of hardpack perfection :D
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby Guppie » May 27th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Anybody notice how many people cut the corners on this trail? Seems to be getting really bad. I don't understand why riders would cut the corners. Are they to lazy to follow the trail, ride over roots or ride around the tree? I would think if they wanted a straight trail they would just be road riders or ride a bike path. Those are straight and smooth. also seems to be happening at CSA, but not nearly as bad. You don't see this at Yankee or Fort.
Guppie

Postby blamp28 » May 27th, 2010, 7:55 pm

I noticed this too in a few spots.
blamp28

Postby killercarbon98 » May 31st, 2010, 10:40 am

NATIONAL TRAIL DAY!
Join us on Saturday June 5th at the ski area to cut in a small re-route intended to eliminate the last two sandy, rutted out downhills sections.
9am to 1pm. Bring gloves,water, boots and bug spray. Tools and lunch will be provided. Rain or shine.

I will lead a group to the Game Area for Some Trail Trimming and trail Re-Curving! etc. It's getting thick and straight out there!

Chris
killercarbon98

Postby Guppie » May 31st, 2010, 11:31 am

Hanson hills CPS race weekend. :(
Guppie

Postby killercarbon98 » May 31st, 2010, 11:39 am

Stay here. Save Gas! ;)
killercarbon98

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions