Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby cramer » July 16th, 2010, 10:57 am

trout_smith wrote:There are a couple of very fast blind sections at CSGA (sections 2 and 3?) where I go a little slower than I want to, just because of the blind corners. i know I wouldn't be able to stop quickly if I surprised a runner or a dog walker or a kid riding.

Good idea. You don't want to collide with another trail user, that's not cool. Even just scarring them out of their pants makes for a bad trail experience for the person on foot. You have to remember, they're usually not out there for an adrenalin rush.

The chairperson of the Cannon Township Recreation Committee told me she walked her dog on the trail once but would never do it again. She said many of the cyclists were extremely polite but that a few of them yelled at her, told her to get off the trail and passed her at high speed making her very uncomfortable. When I heard of her experience I was embarrassed to be a mountain biker. This story came up while I was trying to convince the group that a paved path between the various trails (ski area, game area, luton) would be an asset to the whole community, not just mountain bikers. People need to start paying more attention to the big picture. Whether it's intentionally making short cuts or treating other trail users poorly, it has an affect on our access whether you realize it or not. Access isn't just about what we currently have access to, it's about what future access we might gain.
cramer

Postby Bigtymer » July 16th, 2010, 1:02 pm

The trail received some rain last night and is wet in the first two sections and extra muddy in all the usual spots.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby ReidRules18 » July 19th, 2010, 7:36 pm

cramer wrote:
trout_smith wrote:There are a couple of very fast blind sections at CSGA (sections 2 and 3?) where I go a little slower than I want to, just because of the blind corners. i know I wouldn't be able to stop quickly if I surprised a runner or a dog walker or a kid riding.

Good idea. You don't want to collide with another trail user, that's not cool. Even just scarring them out of their pants makes for a bad trail experience for the person on foot. You have to remember, they're usually not out there for an adrenalin rush.

The chairperson of the Cannon Township Recreation Committee told me she walked her dog on the trail once but would never do it again. She said many of the cyclists were extremely polite but that a few of them yelled at her, told her to get off the trail and passed her at high speed making her very uncomfortable. When I heard of her experience I was embarrassed to be a mountain biker. This story came up while I was trying to convince the group that a paved path between the various trails (ski area, game area, luton) would be an asset to the whole community, not just mountain bikers. People need to start paying more attention to the big picture. Whether it's intentionally making short cuts or treating other trail users poorly, it has an affect on our access whether you realize it or not. Access isn't just about what we currently have access to, it's about what future access we might gain.

You couldn't be more right! Too many people whether it is driving, at the grocery store in line, or at the gas pump care only about themselves. In reality, especially for us mountain bikers we need to project a positive image of our sport or possibly risk access and limited possibilities for us in the future. Luton Park as well is a popular hiking/dog walking location and now with the addition of mountain bikers we need to ensure we are kind and polite. Granted it might hurt your time a few mere seconds to slow down and yield but it can do wonders for us. Please be considerate out on the trails as it is not just mountain bikers that use them. When I walk the dog or go out for a run and am not in my mountain biking get up or riding I am shocked at how some riders just ride right on by with out a hello but merely a sigh as I am in their way. Just keep a positive attitude and actually think about slowing down and just saying a nice "hello, nice day out" or any other kind comment. It can go a long way as we are all trail users.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby ReidRules18 » July 19th, 2010, 7:37 pm

whumpus wrote:"There are a couple of very fast blind sections at CSGA (sections 2 and 3?) where I go a little slower than I want to, just because of the blind corners. i know I wouldn't be able to stop quickly if I surprised a runner or a dog walker or a kid riding."

I was almost run over by a deer on section 2 in one of those blind sections on Wednesday. That spiked my heart rate!

When I am riding at the game area or any other blind corner area I make sure to say loudly "Rider Up!" to ensure my presence is known. I also slow down a bit as some people wear headphones, have dogs, or kids out on a walk that you can't always see and are hidden below the grass height. Just an observation.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby Kampfire » July 22nd, 2010, 11:37 am

Went out on Tuesday and the trail was in better condition. Seemed like the rain has helped the sandy areas and theres alot less roots sticking out of the ground.
Kampfire

Postby toonaphish » July 24th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Note: The comment I made that started this thread about the guy "running" the loop backwards was in reference to a Mtn. Biker RIDING the loop in reverse. It was dangerous as it can be. That clarification made....SHARE THE TRAILS (with everyone). - Nuff Said. Love,-t'fish
toonaphish

Postby Clidesdale » July 25th, 2010, 7:56 am

Thinking about going out there. Any news on conditions after FRiday's rain?
Clidesdale

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 3rd, 2010, 7:59 pm

Rode Tues. evening. Trail fast and dry. Sand real deep in spots I havent seen before so use caution.

Who was the genius :x that added that re-route below the trail and tree to avoid the roots after the downhill going back up the hill. It looks like lots of people are using it, since its relatively new and already eroded substantially. :evil: WELL DONE :roll: . They need to start requiring DNR parking stickers to park there. I still remember 6-8 years ago when you would actually see DNR employees patrolling. Suprise our great governor took office right around that time. The lack of any common sense in these people really gets to me at times. Rant Over :)
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby cramer » August 3rd, 2010, 8:45 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:Rode Tues. evening. Trail fast and dry. Sand real deep in spots I havent seen before so use caution.

Who was the genius :x that added that re-route below the trail and tree to avoid the roots after the downhill going back up the hill. It looks like lots of people are using it, since its relatively new and already eroded substantially. :evil: WELL DONE :roll: . They need to start requiring DNR parking stickers to park there. I still remember 6-8 years ago when you would actually see DNR employees patrolling. Suprise our great governor took office right around that time. The lack of any common sense in these people really gets to me at times. Rant Over :)

This is a great example of what I've been saying for a while, the MMBA doesn't dumb down trails, the riders dumb them down. Any time you see anything challenging on the trail, in this case some roots exposed by erosion, people will try to avoid the difficult section by riding around it. Ironically, the same idiots making these short cuts that will eventually lead to a complete re-route and elimination of that steep hill will get on this message board and complain about the trail being dumbed down even though they themselves dumbed it down by creating the short cuts.

Either way, it's an error to consider erosion damage as a "challenge" as it's not part of the original design and changes (gets worse) over time. A real trail challenge should be built with that in mind to begin with and a shortcut built in for people not up to the challenge so they don't make their own short cut. See Luton for example of actual real trail challenges that were built properly for that purpose.
cramer

Postby trout_smith » August 4th, 2010, 10:42 am

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:Rode Tues. evening. Trail fast and dry. Sand real deep in spots I havent seen before so use caution.

If you're talking about the short steep uphill at the beginning of the 2nd section, I noticed the same thing. When I was a beginner rider, it took me lots of tries before I could finally make it up that little $%$^ of a hill. Now, anyone can just ride up the left side. In defense of most riders, though, once a line like that starts, it appears to be the natural flow of the trail. I rode it myself, just becasue I wasn't paying attention.

What's the solution? What's the best way to put up some kind of deterrent that is difficult to remove?
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby cramer » August 4th, 2010, 11:07 am

trout_smith wrote:

If you're talking about the short steep uphill at the beginning of the 2nd section, I noticed the same thing. When I was a beginner rider, it took me lots of tries before I could finally make it up that little $%$^ of a hill. Now, anyone can just ride up the left side. In defense of most riders, though, once a line like that starts, it appears to be the natural flow of the trail. I rode it myself, just becasue I wasn't paying attention.

What's the solution? What's the best way to put up some kind of deterrent that is difficult to remove?

I think he's talking about on the big switchback before that, there is a little trail on the right now that avoids the roots near the base of that hill.
cramer

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 4th, 2010, 11:52 am

Yes the first longer hill. We need permission to put up some type of permanent barriers. The trail is already fast enough. If ur trying to improve ur times quit CHEATING And ride the real trail. And since we have dedicated hardworking people to maintain it like the new stone armoring, the speed keeps increAsing.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Scotty » August 6th, 2010, 11:55 am

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote: I still remember 6-8 years ago when you would actually see DNR employees patrolling. Suprise our great governor took office right around that time. The lack of any common sense in these people really gets to me at times. Rant Over :)

It's not just the governors fault that the DNR has been gutted. The state has a structural budget deficit that the legislature refuses to fix. Voters have continued to allow it to go on for years. Anybody in the governor's office of the past 6 years would probably have had to do much the same thing to keep the state running (ie. gut state services).

You can't cut taxes, lose citizens and jobs AND continue to proved services like schools, roads, DNR officers, etc. etc.

If you've been here for the past decade point the finger at yourself. Cause the state legislature can't keep the State Government bankrupt without a whole lot of help from voters. :wink:
Scotty

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 6th, 2010, 6:41 pm

Scotty wrote:
G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote: I still remember 6-8 years ago when you would actually see DNR employees patrolling. Suprise our great governor took office right around that time. The lack of any common sense in these people really gets to me at times. Rant Over :)

It's not just the governors fault that the DNR has been gutted. The state has a structural budget deficit that the legislature refuses to fix. Voters have continued to allow it to go on for years. Anybody in the governor's office of the past 6 years would probably have had to do much the same thing to keep the state running (ie. gut state services).

You can't cut taxes, lose citizens and jobs AND continue to proved services like schools, roads, DNR officers, etc. etc.

If you've been here for the past decade point the finger at yourself. Cause the state legislature can't keep the State Government bankrupt without a whole lot of help from voters. :wink:

I agree. but be careful I always vote and email our worthless legislators, so its not my fault. I still do what I can.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby John_H » August 14th, 2010, 8:28 am

Hard to believe - only one month left to ride before it closes to bikes for hunting. Wow time flies!
John_H

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions