Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Scotty » August 16th, 2010, 12:16 pm

John_H wrote:Hard to believe - only one month left to ride before it closes to bikes for hunting. Wow time flies!

Is the fall trail closure at CSGA consistant with other game areas in lower Michigan? Or is it at the whim of the land manager?

I can't imagine that the hunting there is that good. Especially once you make an effort to avoid getting too close to firing near the houses that ring the property. How many sportsmen are even using CSGA these days?
Scotty

Postby printenv » August 16th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Scotty wrote:
John_H wrote:Hard to believe - only one month left to ride before it closes to bikes for hunting. Wow time flies!

Is the fall trail closure at CSGA consistant with other game areas in lower Michigan? Or is it at the whim of the land manager?

I can't imagine that the hunting there is that good. Especially once you make an effort to avoid getting too close to firing near the houses that ring the property. How many sportsmen are even using CSGA these days?

According to the trail guide:

"The Cannonsburg State Game Area is closed from September 15th - February 1st annually for small game hunting season. Please do not ride the trails during this time."

I believe it is the DNR closes the trail.

One thing I am curious about, is the trail open to cross country skiers and snowshoeing during this time or is it closed to everyone except hunters?
"One has to be able to adapt to the unexpected, laugh at the absurdly difficult, and find some level of enjoyment at even the toughest times." -- Kurt Refsnider
printenv

Postby Scotty » August 16th, 2010, 1:18 pm

printenv wrote:

I know what the trail guide says. I'm curious as to whether it's being closed because it always has been, or because there's a real need to keep people off the trails.

Yankee Springs comes to mind. It was closed for hunting until a few years ago when park management was convinced that there wouldn't be any conflict with cyclists during hunting season.

As far as who is banned at CSGA, i believe it's only bikes. However, if you decide to ride your bike into the game area for the purpose of hunting it's my understanding that THAT is perfectly legal.
Scotty

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 16th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Scotty wrote:

I hunted small game out there only once last year for hare, and squirlies. If u ever walk thru u will see lots of tree stands, if u know were to look. Some morons even had bait piles out there last year. Lets just say I made it very difficult for these law breakers to get back up in there tree stands. I belive shotguns and maybe rifles not 22LR are allowed out there. Its such a small area , a rifle round can travel great distance if it doesnt hit anything first.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Slimm » August 16th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Scotty wrote:
printenv wrote:

I know what the trail guide says. I'm curious as to whether it's being closed because it always has been, or because there's a real need to keep people off the trails.

Yankee Springs comes to mind. It was closed for hunting until a few years ago when park management was convinced that there wouldn't be any conflict with cyclists during hunting season.

As far as who is banned at CSGA, i believe it's only bikes. However, if you decide to ride your bike into the game area for the purpose of hunting it's my understanding that THAT is perfectly legal.

here's an excerpt from the rules that I found on the DNR site:

3.4 Cannonsburg state game area, Kent county, prohibited conduct.

Order 3.4 A person shall not do any of the following on the Cannonsburg SGA being all or portions of sections 27, 29, 33, and 34, T8N R10W, and sections 3 and 4, T7N R10W, Kent county:

(1) Discharge or possess afield a centerfire rifle.

(2) Discharge a firearm in a designated parking area.

(3) Target, trap, or skeet shoot.

(4) Use skis from November 1 through the first Sunday following January 1.

(5) Enter the observation deck, walking, and parking area located in the SE? of the SE? of section 28, T8N R10W, from ? hour after sunset to ? hour before sunrise. This prohibition does not apply to department personnel or authorized construction company personnel performing official or department authorized duties.

(6) Operate a bicycle of any kind, from September 15 through January 31, on the area, including roads and trails, unless designated open to bicycle use.

History: Iss. Sept. 17, 1993; Am. 14, 1997, Post May 9, 1997; Am. 8, 1998, Post Sept. 1, 1998.

looks like they could open the trails for riding. even if they did, I'm not sure I would I would take the chance. a bunch of rednecks crammed into a small area with shotguns..... hmmmm

(no offense meant if you are reading this and are one of the aforementioned rednecks)
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby Scotty » August 16th, 2010, 4:36 pm

I wasn't aware that there was a prohibition against skis at CSGA. There are actually a lot of people who ski there in the winter.
Scotty

Postby cramer » August 16th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Scotty wrote:I wasn't aware that there was a prohibition against skis at CSGA. There are actually a lot of people who ski there in the winter.

Only until the first Sunday after Jan. 1 though and we often don't have enough snow for XC skiing until after than anyway.

As far as the closure to bikes and your comparison to Yankee, the difference between the two locations is huge. Yankee is an outdoor recreation area so it makes sense that bikers should be allowed out there during hunting season since recreation is the primary purpose for the land. CSGA on the other hand being a game area has the primary purpose being for hunting. The ban isn't there to protect mountain bikers from hunters (which was the original reason for closing Yankee during firearm season), the ban is there to keep mountain bikers from disturbing the hunters.

Scotty wrote:I can't imagine that the hunting there is that good. Especially once you make an effort to avoid getting too close to firing near the houses that ring the property. How many sportsmen are even using CSGA these days?

There's plenty of game out there and it gets used a lot during hunting season. I ride on the back roads around there during hunting season quite a bit and am surprised how much use it gets.
cramer

Postby John_H » August 16th, 2010, 6:30 pm

The only other state game area I know with legal mtn bike trails is Allegan. They are also closed from Sept 15 - Feb 1st.
John_H

Postby John_H » August 16th, 2010, 6:39 pm

I live by CSGA and can tell you that there actually are quite a few hunters that use the land for hunting. Deer season sounds like a rifle range at times. Keep in mind that there are many different hunting seasons out there. Gun deer season is the main one you see the hunters, due to the hunters orange clothing requirement. Other hunting out there can be done in full camo, in a blind, tree stands, etc. - you'd never see them while riding by. I see a lot of bow deer hunters and turkey hunting, along with the various small game hunting.
John_H

Postby Scotty » August 17th, 2010, 9:12 am

cramer wrote:
Scotty wrote:I can't imagine that the hunting there is that good. Especially once you make an effort to avoid getting too close to firing near the houses that ring the property. How many sportsmen are even using CSGA these days?

There's plenty of game out there and it gets used a lot during hunting season. I ride on the back roads around there during hunting season quite a bit and am surprised how much use it gets.

Ahhhh. That's what I was wondering. I avoid the area during the fall because of the closure. So I wasn't sure how much use it actually gets from sportsmen.
Scotty

Postby yukonjack » August 19th, 2010, 10:57 am

A year or two ago, I ran into the DNR at the trailhead.I asked him if the DNR would ever consider allowing the land use to move away from hunting and more towards recreation. I also thought hunters hardly use this land. He explained to me that CSGA was purchased with federal money. The federal money came from federal excise tax gun and ammo sales. This land was paid for by hunters. They have priority or the feds could come back on Michigan and demand repayment of the federal money. He said its a very touchy area. I don't believe Yankee Springs is the same situation.
yukonjack

Postby Purple is a Fruit » August 25th, 2010, 6:41 am

Tree down at the top of the new Armored descent in the third section. Otherwise, trail is in good shape.
Nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.
Purple is a Fruit

Postby Guppie » August 26th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Good condition, although soon it will be a straight line. People are cutting paths around almost every corner. Seems to be a West Michigan thing.
Guppie

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 28th, 2010, 7:15 am

Guppie wrote:Good condition, although soon it will be a straight line. People are cutting paths around almost every corner. Seems to be a West Michigan thing.

It was already on its way there. Everytime the MMBA FIXED a part it was made easier. :roll: Just remember to ride the original trail and leave the shortcuts to the hacks. :twisted:
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Purple is a Fruit » August 28th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Yeah... that armored creek crossing and the nice swoopy switch-backs in the first section to avoid the sand pits... definitely easier. :roll: But also MUCH better in my opinion.
Nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.
Purple is a Fruit

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions